The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

Lives have always been a hangover from arcade games as a means to force you to spend more money, they should have been done away with years ago - though now that I've said that, I fully expect EA to start releasing arcade-quality games where extra lives are paid DLC....

I've seen a few people - not necessarily talking about Odyssey - suggesting that "infinite lives" just makes games easier, but it's actually the opposite; removing an arbitrarily finite number of attempts the player has to complete a task just gives the developers freedom to make the task more difficult, or more complex, because the player has less incentive to just give up altogether. It's part of the reason so many indie platformers etc. are just fiendishly difficult, in the best possible way.

Anyway, back to Odyssey...it falls somewhere between Super Mario Galaxy and Breath of The Wild, and that's a very special place for a game to exist. A level of free-roaming that Mario hasn't really had in years, but not so open as to be overwhelming or lacking direction. Some of the things Mario does perfectly are intuition - I've only encountered one or two Power Moons so far that have made me think, "how the hell am I supposed to get that?", the majority present a solution to the problem very naturally - and attention to detail; first time playing it, the texture of the grass in the first world was one of the things to really catch my attention, but there are so many little bits and pieces I love. One thing that made me smile yesterday was realising that Goombas panic and look frantically back and forth if you jump over them, as if they can't figure out where you've gone. Little things like that just add so much charm and character, and are a big part of the reason Mario still works as a franchise.

23 hours ago, Skummy said:

New Donk City Parade is SO GOOD.

I texted my brother right after. So amazing.

I said last night to my partner - "the world would be a worse place if there was no Super Mario games". 

• Like 3

The ending of Mario Odyssey is absolutely wonderful. The whole game is wonderful. I love it.

(post-game spoilers)

Spoiler

OH MY GOD MUSHROOM KINGDOM

FUCKIN YOSHI OH MY GOD I LOVE IT

ALSO FUCK THAT 2D LEVEL THAT'S DOWN THE WELL IN MUSHROOM KINGDOM BUT ALSO YES YOSHI

• Like 1

Metroid Fusion is incredible, it's such an overlooked game but it's so much fun. It handles that slow escalation of power better than pretty much any Metroid game in the series so it feels so great to finally have the power to mop the floor with the SA-X.

The 2D scrolling bit in Bowser's Castle is lovely. As is the Mushroom Kingdom. And basically the whole stretch in-between.

"Ending" spoilers;

Spoiler

No idea if it's intentional, but Peach sounded way too into Mario/Bowser once you capture him and pick her up. There's a lot to unpack there.

Laughed like an idiot at Mario and Bowser fighting for her affections, just shoving flowers in her face, until she rejects both of them, though. The shot of Bowser sulking while Mario pats him on the back and tries to comfort him is peak Mario silliness, I loved it.

• Like 1

You know what's nice? The fact that I completely forgot that the Switch has a touchscreen. Honestly, I haven't used it once. It's so nice to have a console with a touchscreen that doesn't rely on it too heavily, but has the feature available if necessary. I suppose that it can't rely on it too heavily anyway, as it would be limited to using it in handheld mode, but it's still a nice thing to have.

From what I gathered you don't really need to know too much about the previous games - which is a good thing because I won't be picking up a Wii or 3DS to play them anyways, I like it so far but it's a slow start. Which I guess you can expect from a minimum 70 hour experience with deep systems.

I can't remotely justify buying it right now - between the price and the fact that I'm not spending as much time gaming as that would entail; I ploughed well over a hundred hours into Xenoblade on the Wii, and this one looks even bigger and more impenetrable. I'm sure I'll give it a go eventually, but I know it's going to be a slog in places.