The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

So. I bought it. I tend to love puzzle games, but I actually wished the game eased you into the puzzles a bit more. I think my mistake was not reading a review or a trailer. Some of the ideas of the game are not necessarily something super obvious. Spoilers if you do not want to be spoiled. 

The first map where you have to use the "is" both horizontally and vertically fucked me up. After you figure that out, it really breaks your brain and you figure out the puzzles are not intuitive and really push you.

Yeah it REALLY twists your idea about what you're "allowed" to do in a game, and I think that's the strength of it. But there are still a few rules about the rules that you can't change. Here are a couple things I figured out early that might help:

* You can arrange rules vertically

* You can set up multiple rules for the same thing
* Multiple things can be "you" and as long as there's at least one "you" left, you're still in the game
* When text is floating, "you" can push it, but things you can push might slide under it
* The "sink" rule destroys whatever sinks into, say, the water, but it also destroys a water block, which took me a minute to figure out. You can use this to your advantage and in fact several levels require it

Edited by Sousa

Motorsport Manager is on Switch now. It's a simplified version of the PC game and a slightly expanded version of the mobile game. It doesn't have the level of depth the PC edition has, but it it's still got plenty going for it. As someone who enjoyed the game on PC, I'm still really liking this handheld take.

53 minutes ago, Sousa said:

I reeeeeeally wanna play Final Fantasy XII, I skipped it at the time and it's an Ivalice game so, decidedly in my wheelhouse.

I didn't enjoy it the first time around, but the remake did wonders for it.

Is there a reason I should buy a Switch over a "New" 3DS XL (or vice versa)? My friend brought up Zelda, but I've never cared for those games, so... Plus, Earthbound is only available on the 3DS (and Beginnings is only on the Wii U, wtf...) so that's a +1 in favor of getting a 3DS in my book. Also, eBay has them for decent prices, and usually with some games, so that's something too. I had one listing saved earlier this week that had an SD card included that had 1,000+ games on it, but it didn't last very long :(

5 hours ago, tristy said:

Is there a reason I should buy a Switch over a "New" 3DS XL (or vice versa)? My friend brought up Zelda, but I've never cared for those games, so... Plus, Earthbound is only available on the 3DS (and Beginnings is only on the Wii U, wtf...) so that's a +1 in favor of getting a 3DS in my book. Also, eBay has them for decent prices, and usually with some games, so that's something too. I had one listing saved earlier this week that had an SD card included that had 1,000+ games on it, but it didn't last very long :(

Reasons for 3DS

1. Cheaper (both system and games) 
  2. You get access to not only 3DS games, but DS games
  3. Deeper 1st and 2nd party Nintendo catalogue
  4. Excels in niche genres (JRPGs, puzzle games) 
  5. 3DS is more durable

Reasons for Switch

1. Better tech, meaning games look and run better
  2. Has an incredible line-up of indie games; 
  3. Has an interesting line-up of third party titles (some with questionable quality) 
  4. Nothing on 3DS is anywhere near the quality of Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild (I know you say you never cared for Zelda, but BOTW is amazing) 
  5. Switch is hot right now and you may regret buying a handheld console nobody is talking or playing anymore.
  6. Nintendo's first and second party studios are going to crank out Switch games because they no longer have to spread between a handheld and traditional console. 
  7. Switch is hot and as a result, a lot of great games go on sale. 

I personally feel like a 3DS is a bad investment, but that is because I have not played mine since I got my Switch. 

I agree with RPS - and yeah, while the 3DS has a lot of amazing games and the ability to play DS games the situation at least in my area is that a lot of those games are impossible to find, prohibitively expensive or digital only. And these days 3DS digital sales are deader than a doornail.