The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

On 13/04/2019 at 23:48, Sousa said:

nintendo is like EWB in that they also have footjob fever

who doesn't though?

nobody worth knowing, that's for sure.

Is Cuphead's difficulty the good kind or the bad kind? An example of bad difficulty would be a lack of checkpoints and the necessity to replay easier parts for several minutes before losing at the same part time and time again, meaning that the process repeats. Good difficulty would be Super Meat Boy, where the levels are short and dying is never too much of an inconvenience as a result.

Good for sure. Each level offers a 'simple' difficulty version that allows you to learn the patterns before you take on the levels as they are meant to be played. Levels are mostly just boss battles that go through stages, whereas there are some other levels that are straight up platforming that are short and meant to give you the chance to make some money to buy optional upgrades.

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 10:42, Bobfoc said:

Is Cuphead's difficulty the good kind or the bad kind? An example of bad difficulty would be a lack of checkpoints and the necessity to replay easier parts for several minutes before losing at the same part time and time again, meaning that the process repeats. Good difficulty would be Super Meat Boy, where the levels are short and dying is never too much of an inconvenience as a result.

Good. Each level takes a minute and a half for me to beat in the first world. Takes about 10 mins of practice to finish a level. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I'll hold off on buying it because I picked up Rayman Legends in the European sale. I played it and loved it on PS4, but I fancied having it on a handheld too. The new features are fantastic and I'm having a lot of fun once again.

It's really easy to bounce back in Cuphead and there's no point where you can lose a bunch of lives and have to start over. The levels are short and the bosses are so neat-looking and expressive that you'll want to keep playing through the frustrations. If a game has to be super hard on purpose, Cuphead is basically the ideal way to do it.

• Like 1

I just found out that they released Turok on the Switch, and it's the Nintendo 64 version. Same people who remastered it for the Xbox One and PC too, so I'm imagining that it plays pretty well. I might have to pick that up to add to my library.

• 2 weeks later...

My little guy LOVES Yoshi's Crafted World. He'd played Super Mario Party with us a few times, but at 3, the controls for some of the mini games meant he couldn't understand them. Using a single joycon was a bit hard for him, but after putting a set in the grips, he's really gotten the hang of it with Yoshi, and he has to beat me to the finish line of every level. He also loves the Gumball machine rounds and getting the costumes.

• Like 3