The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

It looks great! Only complaints are that local multiplayer seems to be a no-no based on them putting in that specific online mode, and I really wanted to see the ability to create your own mini-world from a set of courses. But those aren't deal breakers at all for me, and they could be addressed at E3 before launch as well.

I didn't play the first Mario Maker. This one looks interesting, though. Can anyone who did play it tell me how easy it was to find good levels online? With these kinds of games, I find that highly rated levels tend to skew heavily towards ones which are ridiculously hard, rather than well designed. It was encouraging to see in the video that creators can set difficulty levels.

Even if the in game selector isn't great, you can search specifically by code and there'll be amazing reddit and YouTube communities to lay out masterful levels that you can just quickly add in, play or save until later. The community in general is actually pretty good - and people have made some amazing things. With all the new programattic things like on/off switches and stuff, they're going to be going absolutely crazy this time around.

I'm interested in it because of the Story Mode. I'm not that creative, at least nowhere near as much as what some people have done in the first game. Do you need to have Nintendo Online to play the downloadable levels?

6 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I'm interested in it because of the Story Mode. I'm not that creative, at least nowhere near as much as what some people have done in the first game. Do you need to have Nintendo Online to play the downloadable levels?

I'm almost certain you do.

But then you should already have it because Tetris 99 is the game of the decade.

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

But then you should already have it because Tetris 99 is the game of the decade.

I started playing Tetris 99 solely to get the classic theme that'll be available through the third Maximus Cup tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I didn't play the first Mario Maker. This one looks interesting, though. Can anyone who did play it tell me how easy it was to find good levels online? With these kinds of games, I find that highly rated levels tend to skew heavily towards ones which are ridiculously hard, rather than well designed. It was encouraging to see in the video that creators can set difficulty levels.

If I recall correctly, it was fine. When I first picked it up, you could play levels online that were not curated in the sense of Nintendo picking them, but rather curated based upon completion rate. You could decide to do super easy levels (for discussion purposes, say 50-100% of users completed the level) to medium levels (lets say 49% to 15% of users completing the level) to extra hard (less than 15% of users complete levels). It was serviceable. 

5 hours ago, Ollie said:

Just watched the online portion of the Direct, and yeah, in fine print it says you need online. But there is apparently a special edition that comes with 12 months.

Anyone else been looking into those vouchers they announced as well?

It's tempting because even up here in Canada if I buy them at $132 dollars - that ends up saving me pretty much half off the second game. So if I buy the vouchers and then use one to pre-order Mario Maker 2 and the other to pre-order Fire Emblem: Three Houses when it goes up... I'm basically getting a buy one, get one 1/2 off deal.

14 minutes ago, apsham said:

Anyone else been looking into those vouchers they announced as well?

It's tempting because even up here in Canada if I buy them at $132 dollars - that ends up saving me pretty much half off the second game. So if I buy the vouchers and then use one to pre-order Mario Maker 2 and the other to pre-order Fire Emblem: Three Houses when it goes up... I'm basically getting a buy one, get one 1/2 off deal.

Are the vouchers attached to your account? 

TBH my #1 reason I would want to get Super Mario Maker is if I could use it to make fanfiction where Mario is a noir detective.

• Like 1