The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

40 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

TBH my #1 reason I would want to get Super Mario Maker is if I could use it to make fanfiction where Mario is a noir detective.

Then who's the chain-smoking sexpot? Besides Waluigi...

Are there any games that NEED a new 3Ds over the New 2DS? New 2DS is cheaper and 3D is a gimmick I've never cared for.

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I think Super Mario 3D Land has some levels that are easier or more striking in 3D, but I don't think there are any major games that require 3D at all. As far as playing games goes, the 2DS has all you need.

What he said, no games that require the functionality of a New 3DS over a New 2DS. Some 3DS games do require the N2DS/3DS hardware in general, but not the 3D functionality.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at picking up a Switch for my first Nintendo console since Super Nintendo so I'm completely out of the loop on what to get. I know Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros are amazing multi-player games and that it has a few RPG's that I'm interested in but other than that I'm lost. Any tips/suggestions/things I should know? 

Super Mario Odyssey is a must. Breath of the Wild is a game a lot of people really like too, and I got more out of it than I have from any other Zelda game. I'd also recommend Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which was one of the most surprisingly good games in recent years. Certain multiplatform games, like Stardew Valley and Wargroove, are ideal for the handheld format too.

Breath of the Wild is a good pickup for most people. I definitely recommend getting the online subscription, even if just for Tetris 99... I found that South Park: The Stick of Truth played very well, if you never got that on a different console. Mario Odyssey was great too. Definitely grab that. We play a lot of Mario Kart and Mario Party in my house.

Bomberman is a ton of fun too, though I've noticed that it's ridiculously hard to find a physical copy of.

Also, look through the eShop. Turok 64 is available... there's a new Trials game, which are always fun too. Oh, and Super Mario Maker 2 comes out soon... same with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Those will be worth grabbing for sure.

If they go through with the rumored “new” Nintendo Switch and Switch pro models I’m going to be pretty frustrated. Especially if certain games end up requiring the pro model like they did with the n3DS. It’s a slap in the face to people who bought the Switch at launch.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if I should hold off on purchasing a regular Switch in favor of the Switch Pro or whatever it's going to be called. That's rather annoying and has put a damper on the excitement of a new console 😕😕

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno how to feel about Xenoblade Chronicals 2. The graphics are fine and the gameplay is fun enough... But the voice acting and characters speaking over one another (with limited lines) is just bad.

man, I wonder what the pitch meeting for Mario + Rabbids was like.

"Okay, so what if we have a crossover. Mario meets the Rabbids."

"Will it be like a Mario game or a Rabbids game?"

"Neither. XCOM"

"Wooooooah. And what if we have a Rabbid that's dressed like Peach and but acts like a valley girl."

"YES. Oh, and we should have Rabbids that have Austin Powers fembot guns."

"I love our new drug policy!"

"We don't have one anymore."

"I KNOW RIGHT?"

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

man, I wonder what the pitch meeting for Mario + Rabbids was like.

"Okay, so what if we have a crossover. Mario meets the Rabbids."

"Will it be like a Mario game or a Rabbids game?"

"Neither. XCOM"

"Wooooooah. And what if we have a Rabbid that's dressed like Peach and but acts like a valley girl."

"YES. Oh, and we should have Rabbids that have Austin Powers fembot guns."

"I love our new drug policy!"

"We don't have one anymore."

"I KNOW RIGHT?"

Man, that was such a fun game.

Oh, it is. Just, well, it's nuts.

Are Lets Go Pikachu/Lets Go Eevee the template for which the Pokemon series will play like on the Switch? I gotta say - I'm obsessed with this right now. My wife bought me Lets Go Pikachu this past weekend as a gift from my son for father's day and I in turn got her Lets Go Eevee as an early anniversary gift. She was not at all looking forward to playing, as she thought Pokemon looked dumb. She's now almost 20 hours in and is obsessed as well.

I hope the ball thing isn't going to be mandatory for Sword and Shield but... I think so.