The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

6 minutes ago, iDOL said:

the ball thing?

PokeBall Plus I think it's called?

1 minute ago, OctoberRaven said:

PokeBall Plus I think it's called?

Ah. Yeah, I can't imagine them phasing that out. I've just been using the single joy con. My three year old gets a kick out of being able to capture them with it too.

It has already been confirmed that you can't use the Pokeball Plus as a controller - it wouldn't work because you need a second stick for the camera controls and I assume more inputs than the Plus has. You can use it to walk around with a Pokemon however.

Sword/Shield will have Pokemon visible in the field, but it goes back to battling and throwing Pokeballs to catch them.

3 hours ago, apsham said:

It has already been confirmed that you can't use the Pokeball Plus as a controller - it wouldn't work because you need a second stick for the camera controls and I assume more inputs than the Plus has. You can use it to walk around with a Pokemon however.

Sword/Shield will have Pokemon visible in the field, but it goes back to battling and throwing Pokeballs to catch them.

ugh, I actually like the non battle system for catching them. I can't even count how many times I've tried to catch them on the DS games and drained their energy to nothing.

I prefer the Let's Go system for catching, but for levelling up I would prefer a more standard version of grinding and not having to rely on catching combination multipliers of the same Pokémon to get a decent amount of XP.

That and if you're as ridiculous about things as I am (LEVEL EVERYTHING UP EVEN IF I NEVER USE IT!) then you run out of money/balls far too quickly.

• Like 2

On 19/06/2019 at 00:31, OctoberRaven said:

man, I wonder what the pitch meeting for Mario + Rabbids was like.

"Okay, so what if we have a crossover. Mario meets the Rabbids."

"Will it be like a Mario game or a Rabbids game?"

"Neither. XCOM"

"Wooooooah. And what if we have a Rabbid that's dressed like Peach and but acts like a valley girl."

"YES. Oh, and we should have Rabbids that have Austin Powers fembot guns."

"I love our new drug policy!"

"We don't have one anymore."

"I KNOW RIGHT?"

I've seen this and was curious. I think the pitch meeting idea has just sold it to me...

2 hours ago, apsham said:

I broke down and got a set of vouchers since I'll for sure make use of them. I might even buy a second set, because originally I was going to use the other one for Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but now I want to get Ultimate Alliance 3 as well.

I am so unbelievably hyped for this game. 

13 hours ago, Owen said:

I'm getting it on Saturday because I didn't really feel like paying an extra fiver just to get it on release day (cheers, Amazon!) but I'm excited! :D

It arrived today instead, even better! Glad I didn't waste that £5 now!

Mario Maker 2 is fun. The course creator is a little awkward when you're playing in docked mode, but it just takes some getting used to.

I'm stoked to give this a try tomorrow. My wife is picking up our copy when she's at work today, but she won't be home until super late, so I won't get to play until the morning. That's okay though. Reviews look good, and most reviewers say that the course creator seems a bit wonky when the console is docked, but that after you get used to it, trying to do it handheld feels worse.

I love that there's a story mode to the game, also.

6 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Like...I want it, but I doubt I would make much use of the course creator, as I'm not super creative in that regard, nor do I have Nintendo Online for the online maps.

Silly Ruki, you don't get Nintendo Online for maps or online play. You get it for Tetris 99.

Seriously though, reviews are saying that the story mode alone is worth the price of the game, and it's designed to teach you how to use the course creator while you play. I'm excited.

I got a good deal on Mario Maker, so I picked it up on a whim. I've tried a bit of the story mode, which has been quite fun, although it does remind me of how I'm not very good at all at the old-style Mario games. It hasn't taught me any course creation tips, maybe because I'm not very far yet.

I've finished Story Mode and have been playing online levels. I also started making a simple level, which will only be for the sake of getting to grips with the creation tools.

I didn't play the first Mario Maker and honestly didn't see much appeal, but I now think it's worth it just for the supply of created levels online. It's hard to believe that people have made some of the things they have in such a short time.

Also, I was wondering if Fire Emblem: Three Houses looks like a good starting point for someone who's never played a game in the series before. I understand it's going to be a little different, but it looks like the sort of thing I'd like.