The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

12 hours ago, iDOL said:

It’s basically a 2DS that plays Switch games. Not sure why someone would spend $200 when they can get the full experience for a hundred more and be able to dock it on tv and have detachable joy cons.

I'm very excited for it.

• We needed a second Switch to both play Pokemon anyways.
  • Love the form factor and features like the d-pad
  • Anything they removed I don't care about really

Even without the current Switch I have, I think it's pretty tempting especially since the Switch is essentially Nintendo's only console now and a good number of users never dock anyways.

42 minutes ago, apsham said:

I'm very excited for it.

• We needed a second Switch to both play Pokemon anyways.
  • Love the form factor and features like the d-pad
  • Anything they removed I don't care about really

Even without the current Switch I have, I think it's pretty tempting especially since the Switch is essentially Nintendo's only console now and a good number of users never dock anyways.

I don't know, I guess I'm just old school in that I still like to have the option of playing on the tv. I bought my wife's Switch used for around the same price as this thing.

I made a Mario Maker 2 level! The course ID is Y2F-0JC-5MG.

It has a clear condition of collecting all the coins in the level, so it's puzzle solving to an extent, but only has one thing that I would consider a 'puzzle' which is basically just an asshole move... ah well, I enjoyed making it!

1 minute ago, Jericode said:

I'm potentially looking at getting a Switch after my birthday, what do people recommend game-wise?  Are the extra things I need to get for two-player or does it come with everything it needs?

As far as extra stuff... you only need to buy additional controllers if you want to be able to play with more than 2 people at a time, or if you prefer the Pro Controller over the Joycons.

Games-wise... Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Bomberman R and South Park: The Stick of Truth are all great games. South Park, I'd only recommend if you haven't played it and are interested, or if you just really liked it. It plays well on the Switch. There are a lot of really cool games on the eShop as well, and though I haven't played it yet, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 looks great.

There are some multi-platform games that feel best on Switch in handheld mode. Stardew Valley and Wargroove stand out in that regard.

Just now, Ruki said:

Fire Emblem comes out next week, you should get that!

I'm so uncontrollably hyped for that game.

Speaking of which, I'm interested in that. I don't know why I haven't played a Fire Emblem game before, but this one, with its Persona-esque side activities, looks as if it could be a good place to start.

11 hours ago, Jericode said:

I'm potentially looking at getting a Switch after my birthday, what do people recommend game-wise?  Are the extra things I need to get for two-player or does it come with everything it needs?

Mario and Rabids: Kingdom Battle is a great game. Would definetly recommend that along with a lot of the usual must get suspects: Zelda, Mario Odyssey etc 

In terms of playing multiplayer at home, you will have the two joy-cons so you can play two player at home. It's just a case of turning them sidewards 

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is apparently decent, if a tad archaic in its design. I've read a lot of positive comments from fans of the series.

That is sometimes a good thing. There are lots of classic gaming types that need to return to the fold, especially in the indie world. So many Metroidvania/Roguelites. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPS said:

That is sometimes a good thing. There are lots of classic gaming types that need to return to the fold, especially in the indie world. So many Metroidvania/Roguelites. 

I agree, although the reviewers I've come across are referring to some of the modern quality of life features that aren't there. I think that indie developers have managed to surpass some of the great games of yesteryear by improving little things like checkpoint systems and control accuracy. There's a lot to be said for building on old concepts and removing some of the forgotten annoyances.