Christian Rock...

Guest NotMeekin

Guest NotMeekin

I have a friend that is "Religous" I say religous because she preaches the word of god and the like, but then breaks like 7 of the 10 commandments. (Adultry, Stealing, a whole bunch of other ones) but thats beside the Point. She has this habit of calling everyband she listen's to Christain.

Franz Ferdinand

Switchfoot

Bowling for Soup

Yellowcard

Dimmu Fucking Bogir.

Barenaked ladies (That one pissed me off like no other)

and a whole bunch of misc bands.

Now, heres the kind of though provoking question. Can a band sing about god and faith and love without being christian? or without being religous? For example, at ozzfest, Black Sabbath (a NON christian Rock band, despite my friend's preachings) said "God bless you all" Which led her to believe they were chrisitan.

My second question: Is it a bad idea to categorize yourself in one specific genre? Christian Rock, Rock Hardcore death metal, you get the idea, because if you try something different you fear the repercushions. In today's day and age, if you label yourself "pop" you're screwed at being respected by fellow musicians, minus a few select cases. Would it be best for most bands to give themselves a broad somewhat vage label? "Metal" "Pop" "Rock" etc etc, verses punk, hip-hop, industrial, etc etc?

My mistake, Tom Araya is christian, King is athiest. I always knew there was something I liked about Kerry King.

And Slayer fucking ROCKS live. BEST.LIVE.BAND.EVER. I went to see them, and someone threw a dead rat on stage, so they were like 'FUCK THIS, SET SOME SHIT ON FIRE!' and we did :D

You must have no love for metal if you can't appreciate Slayer live. I was pissed that Slipknot headlined over them at Tattoo the Earth.

I like Christian Rock and Regular Rock but I don't go around saying bands like Franz Ferdinand, Bowling for Soup, Yellowcard, or Barenaked ladies are Christian (As far as Switchfoot, I think they are as they have been in the Christian charts since 1998 and there first song outside of them was Meant to Live in 2004)

Their first 2 albums were more Christian and the latest one (with Meant To Live on it) kind of follows P.O.D. in having spiritual music without the Christian rhetoric

Edited by Corizzle

Guest Angry Baboon

Ozzy Osbourne is a christian. I don't know about the rest of Black Sabbath.

Besides, Saying "God Bless you" doesn't necessarily mean they're Christian.

Guest NotMeekin

what about genreizing yourself to the point where you'd end up screwing yourself over.

Example: Creed, when they did that Great Flood video where the lead singer turned into a pseudo Moses.

Talking about God doesn't make you Christian. Ben Harper is the most spiritual musician I've ever heard and I don't think he considers himself Christian. These bands may be Christian, but it doesn't make them Christian rock. POD doesn't even consider themselves Christian rock, just a rock band with a Christian upbringing.

Of the bands you named, only Switchfoot is Christian rock.

Your friend is an idiot, and should not be considered a Christian. Neither are her music tastes. Please give your friend any sort of brain capabilities that may help her in life, for it seems there's none present. Try and figure out what motive there is by pretending to be a Christian and saying all that music is Christian.

Your friend is an idiot, and should not be considered a Christian.  Neither are her music tastes.  Please give your friend any sort of brain capabilities that may help her in life, for it seems there's none present.  Try and figure out what motive there is by pretending to be a Christian and saying all that music is Christian.

Feeling more assured you are going to heaven?

Yeah Switchfoot are a christian group.

Groups like POD a rea group of Christians playing mainst ream music.

A couple of Linkin Park are Christians as well apparantly.

Being a Christian myself I've heard all sorts of rumours though I don't particularly like many "Christian Rock" acts. Relient K are pretty groovy though.

I've got some mates who are Christians and play in 'normal' groups. This doesn't make the group Christian, it just means there are some Christians and some 'non-Christians' in it.

Ultimately, if the music has a distinct Christian message then it's Christian Rock.

If it's a group of Christians playing together without the message, or one, two or three Christians in a 'non-Christian' group. Then it's not.

Being a Christian and having to be forced to listen to numrous Christian rock bands by my christian friends, I can safely say, they fucking suck. I'm yet to hear a Christian rock band which were actually good. So those bastards made me listen to that shit I made them listen to mine, and they didn't appreciate Dream Theater and Killswitch Engage. How can you not like Dream Theater? Stupid wankers. :shifty: