The Anime Thread

Ruki

I probably should have been alerted when the only available copy of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann episode 1 was by 'QMF'.

What does 'QMF' stand for?

Quick Messy Fansubs.

Yeah.

Good stuff though. Very GAINAX (which may or may not be a compliment, since what that basically amounts to is 1) simple character designs 2) plenty of fan service shots 3) 90% of the budget spent on drawing rubble and things falling to pieces :shifty:) and Kamina is clearly going to carry the whole series on his back. He's like what Gai Daigoji would have been if he was never exposed to Gekigangar.

Edited by stokeriño

Thing is, the mangas (which are licensed by the same company in ADV Mangas) translate it the right way, so they've got no excuse. :shifty:

Edit: Robster, Azumanga of course deserves to be at the top of the list. However when you're done with the lighthearted comedy and looking for your next emotional mindfuck (it's just one big rollercoaster, huh?), look up 'Saikano', known in UK DVD form as 'She, The Ultimate Weapon'.

Perhaps a mod should just rename this to the All-Purpose Anime/Manga Thread or. Something. Yes.

I really need to watch Gurren Lagann; we've been getting apps from it in the multifandom RP I play in and it looks awesome. But at the same time, I'm playing catch-up with One Piece (which might be the only major shounen retard series that isn't frustating me right now since Naruto's recent plot twists have been astoundingly retarded, even for Naruto, and Bleach has just become completely fucking absurd) and I'm starting on Darker Than Black which looks promising judging from the first episode. So... yes.

I'm also waiting for a decent fansub of the Code Geass finale. Dammit, internet.

What, Play.com not good enough for you? :shifty:

And I don't buy Hong Kong imports anymore. Not after the School Rumble/Samurai 7 escapades.

Edit: Now in reference to GoGo's post... Darker Than Black seemed good (and I've stolen the theme music to use for the System's Ultimate Destiny show), but there wasn't enough to hold my interest for very many episodes. I think I was up to 5 or 6 before I gave up caring.

And I put Wednesday as my estimate for decent Code Geass finale subs, taking into account that they'll probably sub and release both eps at once and all.

Meanwhile...just watched the final episodes (46 and 47) of NANA today. The series is awesome and highly recommended - but Christ, of all the annoying endings. I know there are many more mangas and the anime could not hope to finish it - much like the Fruits Basket anime series in that respect - but putting out a final episode that raises SO MANY QUESTIONS and hasn't even ANY kind of semi-satisfying result to those raised in the immediately preceeding episodes...(other than Nobu is a FOOL and Hachi is a WUSS, but we knew this already).

I'm going to have to spend loads of money buying the mangas now. :@

I HOPE THEY'RE HAPPY! :@:@:@

Edited by stokeriño

Well, I just ran a search on play.com, typing in Saikano.

I got 6 results, each disk costing around £15 for 4 episodes worth, and they were all Region 1. Chances are I'd be watching on my PS2, possibly my PC which can only switch between 1 and 2 x amount of times can't it?

Plus you've said yourself, the sub versions are better 95% of the time, pretty much everything on play.com is dubbed.

So, play.com may not be good enough for me, no ¬_¬

The DVDs were released in the UK under the title 'She, The Ultimate Weapon', not Saikano. Those will be the Region 2 versions.

And all DVD releases come with the option to watch in Japanese with subtitles anyway, via the setup screen.

So there. ¬_¬

Edit: LINK - £7.99 per disc or £25.99 for the series as well as the 'Another Love Song' OVA (which is interesting and pretty, but not exactly essential viewing).

Edited by stokeriño

Now defend the fact most discs are £15-20 per 4 episodes.

Go on. ¬_¬

EDIT: And don't bring up the fact that all the She, The Ultimate Weapon volumes are going for £8, because, thats not normal ¬_¬

RE-EDIT: I said don't bring up the fact... :P

Edited by IAceI

That was useful <_<

I always thought the internet would be crawling with cheap places to buy anime, but I guess I don't have to go and buy the whole series in one go. Which is a little victory if there ever was one.

You have three options for cheap anime:

1) US boxsets, especially slimpack ones, are pretty good value.

2) Hong Kong imports, with their subtitles written by people who understand neither Japanese nor English and are paid 2p an hour.

3) Fansubs burnt onto DVD and sold to chumps on eBay

Which is why I stick to downloading, and just slowly buy the ones I really like on DVD (e.g. Elfen Lied most recently) at some point down the line after having already watched them.

play.com, amazon.co.uk and hmv.co.uk sound a whole lot better now, plus I guess their all safer.

Fansubs sound suck, US boxsets would have the region problem I figure, and I never have trusted Asia so I won't ever give them any details about my bank or money or anything <_<

I don't see why you'd ever consider HMV.co.uk, since I imagine their instore pricing policy of "GHOST IN THE SHELL AND NINJA SCROLL ONLY £8 (everything else £20+)" would be the same online.

And as the fansubbers themselves say: if you pay for their fansubs you are, officially, a chump.

Edited by stokeriño

Looking on hmv.co.uk, some Trigun volumes are £8.99, some £13.99. Plus it has the added bonus that I can be in town, go buy it and then watch it all in the same day.

I get annoyed when I have to sit around waiting for things to arrive in the post >_<

Oh, yeah, stoker, THAT'S why I don't watch anime for seven years; it's cheaper and I can avoid fansubs. So there.

Doesn't matter to me cause I can just happily watch whatever my sister buys for free. She got a Haruhi boxset the other day and has been walking around wearing with one of those hairband things ever since. It's somewhat disturbing. <_>