Doctor Who

Benji

Well that was unexpectedly great, and felt like proper old school Who, which, as fun as the show has been, has rarely felt like since the revival. More like that please.

I agree. It actually managed to hook me in after what felt like a fairly mundane start.

That was pretty bloody good. I hadn't realised just how much I missed Davros until he showed up on the screen yesterday. Julian Bleach plays him so damn well, and I love that he was less of a crazed supervillain this time around and more introspective, while at the same time not losing his cunning and ruthless side. I've heard people say that next week's episode is even better than this one so while I refuse to let my expectations get too high (I've been burned before by brilliant first parts with incredible cliffhangers that amount to nothing special thanks to the resolution) we could be in for another real treat next week

I wonder if we'll get more than two-parters, and have this series treated more like one continuous adventure instead, or at least broken up into extended adventures. It'd be an interesting way of changing things up.

Word is this season is a lot of 2 parters

That was really good...

... with the only exceptjon being the terrible "Doctor knew Davros' grand plan all along" part. Not unexpected, but I tend to hate the infallible Doctor trope. Could have had an outstanding serial on our hands. I did love him telling Missy to run though, nice play on the usual. Capaldi was outstanding, and even Clara seems to be decent too.

I'm hoping/assuming the dalek/human hybrid is going to play into the finale, and Missy will be it.

That was probably my favourite couple of episodes involving the Daleks ever, or at least in the "modern" run. Like, I generally hate Dalek episodes so it doesn't have much competition, but I really enjoyed it and a very strong start to the series.

As for next week, it could go either way. The villains look suitably creepy and the concept is nice and enclosed and hopeless, with lights going off etc. However last series the trailer made the Moon-Egg episode look great and that was hugely disappointing. It could be great or could be a bit schlocky.

My thoughts:

I can't see the sonic sunglasses lasting long. The BBC loves to have Doctor Who merchandise, so I'd be surprised if the Doctor doesn't have a new sonic screwdriver before the last couple of episodes of the season.

I liked the Doctor stealing and using Davros' chair, and us finally seeing just how much of Davros' actual body exists. But the Doctor essentially being the inspiration for the Daleks' weapon and yelling `EXTERMINATE!' smacks of fanfic.

Davros opening his eyes was just weird, since it always looked to me like his eye slits were sealed and there were empty sockets underneath. (Watch his first appearance in NuWho and his very first appearance in GENESIS OF THE DALEKS to see what I mean.)

The hybrid Daleks will either be completely forgotten, or the season finale's big bads and will get wiped out. I'm not sure what the regeneration energy did to them, but it doesn't matter: even if it gave them the ability to regenerate like a Time Lord, dead is dead, so they'll likely get killed off. 

Best thing about the episode, sadly, was Missy. Part I was much better.

Edited by GhostMachine