Doctor Who

Benji

Yea, the whole episode I was waiting for something...anything...to happen and it just went no where.  I didn't even totally get the explaination for his face

A reminder from his old self that he doesn't have to save everyone, just someone. At least, that's what i got out of it.

At least Williams seems like she is gonna be in the next episode as well.

It was a pretty rubbish episode, but certainly better than some of the other Historical Romp episodes they've churned out. Just harmless filler. The bit about his face was fine to me - at least they acknowledged it, even if it was a bit corny.

What's worse is the whole "She's immortal now, this changes everything" bit, as that implies a total game-changer, something that could alter how Doctor Who works for years to come, and it'll probably either all be forgotten/written out by the end of the year, or she'll be Moffat's new River Song/first season Clara and just be a walking mess of hints and references. 

I know they've touched on it before, but I hope they really push through with the whole "The Doctor has to follow the rules, but no one ever quite explains what the rules are" thing to a logical conclusion where he realises that there's actually no one left to enforce the rules, so why not do just what he likes? With the consequences either being tragedy - say, the death of Clara - or bringing Gallifrey out of hiding so the Time Lords and punish him.

Didn't RTD do that with Waters of Mars? Ten proclaimed himself Time Lord Victorious after changing a Fixed Point and Adele whats-her-face shot herself to protect the timeline, showing Ten that he can't just say "screw the rules" just because he's the last Time Lord.

• Like 1

If I'm remembering the right episode didn't she do that by her own choice to protect a legacy than Tennant had told her all about? I don't think it's quite the same scenario, a different person might not have been so noble.

One thing that has just occurred to me, isn't Rassilon still President? They said the council were in session during Day of the Doctor (trying that whole "destroy the universe" we saw in End of Time). If he is still President, then The Doctor could be kind of fucked once he finds Gallifrey.

Interesting seeing the difference in opinion here compared to elsewhere.

I float between the two - I didn't like the 'meat' of the episode, but the last 10-15mins were great. Loved the Doctor's speech (re: the rules, his face, etc.), like the idea of Immortal Williams, and I like that we're getting another two-parter you're not aware of until the end.

Main story was drek though.

I thought it was mostly harmless camp filler (and in that sense, better than some in recent years), with the interest twist on Maisie Williams' character.

If I'm remembering the right episode didn't she do that by her own choice to protect a legacy than Tennant had told her all about? I don't think it's quite the same scenario, a different person might not have been so noble.

I think it's meant to be a bit of bboth isn't it? There will always be something that will make her death and her daughter's success a fixed point but the woman, can't remember her name, has also taken things into her own hands. And when he tried to change the rules he became a mad God and there's a sense that he won't know where to stop. 

I have to say, I rather enjoyed that. Maisie Williams proved she has excellent range as an actress, and the whole background plot about the cost of immortality was very well handled (although the villain was a bit pants this week). The way the episode ended has me pretty certain two things will happen for the series finale: 1) Ashildr/Me will be back for it and 2) Clara is going to meet with some kind of horrible fate (not necessarily her death, but I can't see it ending very well for her).

Next week could go either way for me: it looks action-packed, and I'm pleased that Osgood is back (it now seems to me like it may have been her Zygon counterpart who got blasted by Missy last year, but we'll see), but at the same time it's by the same writer who gave us Kill the Moon, and that episode wasn't a great success (to put it politely). Time will tell, I guess

Well there you go then, you just admitted they were the first to die :P

I do get what you mean, and I don't think they'll do it. Some timey-wimey stuff will happen and she'll get stuck in a oment in time, forced to live it forever or something. In any case, she won't die.