Doctor Who

Benji

Explanation I found which I liked:

Spoiler

The designers of the room thought he would only arrive in the trap room once, realise it’s impossible to escape, give up and tell the secret. They didn't anticipate the Doctor chipping away at the wall over billions of years.

If he’s only supposed to visit this room once, then there’s no need for the room to reset.

Either way, I'm willing to overlook the plot hole for an episode that good, especially considering what we've had to work with for the last three or four years.

• Like 1

If the Doctor being half human in back in play, then I'm dreading the moment that Moffat decides to reveal that the Doctor's father is from Earth, his mother is from Gallifrey, and John Smith is not really an alias, but actually the English translation of his real name.  *edit to add* Oh, and Sarah Jane was actually a distant relative.

(Seriously, I wouldn't put it past Moffat to that at this point.)

Edited by GhostMachine

11 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

If the Doctor being half human in back in play, then I'm dreading the moment that Moffat decides to reveal that the Doctor's father is from Earth, his mother is from Gallifrey, and John Smith is not really an alias, but actually the English translation of his real name.  *edit to add* Oh, and Sarah Jane was actually a distant relative.

(Seriously, I wouldn't put it past Moffat to that at this point.)

But he is half human on his mothers side, I dread they try and weave Rose into it cause everything NuWho much revolve around Rose.

Edited by TheWho87

Yes, coming out of one of the best episodes they've ever written, let's all invent situations in which we'll be hypothetically disappointed. For fuck's sake. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 7

It wasnt too bad but it wasnt great either.

Spoiler

I liked the continuity with the Tardis, how it resembled the set up from Hartnell's first season and I'm all behind having Ashildr/Me with it, it opens up the option of future appearances, it does suck that Clara tagged along and is even alive, it was a good send off that they completly fucked over.

Oh and its great they made the gender changing throught regeneration cannon <_<

That really felt like a big step backwards for me. The frame removed much of the drama, the ending lacked any conviction and it seemed to share two.problems with the latest Bond movie, I don't want to know more about the Doctor's past and the thing that's meant to tie several plots together doesn't really make a lick of sense. And I'm a bit tired of this constant promise that now the Doctor is going to start being the Doctor that he's forgotten how to be that seems to have been promised every season since Matt's second. Which seems even more of a shame in a series that has been so bold and in which Capaldi has been a fantastic Doctor. 

I think the initial disappointment is just frustrating maybe. There were cool moments, some tragic moments and the theme is a real strong idea but the whole just didn't hold together at all for me. I felt it really lacked the confidence the other episodes had. Maybe I'll like it more on a second viewing. I think the previous episode set my hopes up too high. 

• Like 1

The only two things I liked about the episode at all:

Spoiler

1. Seeing the old school TARDIS console room. Just made me realize how much I miss the roundels. 

2. The twist that its the Doctor who forgot Clara. So they pulled off a reverse-Donna. 

Edited by GhostMachine

13 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

It wasnt too bad but it wasnt great either.

Hide contents

I liked the continuity with the Tardis, how it resembled the set up from Hartnell's first season and I'm all behind having Ashildr/Me with it, it opens up the option of future appearances, it does suck that Clara tagged along and is even alive, it was a good send off that they completly fucked over.

Oh and its great they made the gender changing throught regeneration cannon <_<

They already did the last part with Missy.

To be fair, most seasons Hell Bent would have been one of the better episodes (not the absolute best but better than average), it's just that this season has been a lot stronger and coming off an incredible penultimate episode made it look worse than it would normally do.

Still isn't a fitting finale. For a season that seemed to take a lot more risks it was a very safe finale and a backwards step, which unfortunately will sour people on the season as a whole since all the progress that was made writing wise was seemingly forgotten in order to shoehorn a happy ending into it.

Great season overall, just a shame about the finale. 

6 hours ago, Benji said:

They already did the last part with Missy.

I've always been of the impression that the Master/Missy's regeneration cycle has been a bit messed up, considering by the TV Movie he has used up his regenerations and then later on during the Tennent run he claimed he had no more lives left and was burnt but was then resurrected through DNA in a ring.

You mean beyond that point, if so...

Spoiler

Clara goes into a back room while the Doctor has his back turned and walks into the Tardis with Ashildr/Me and the Cafe demateralises around the Doctor to show his Tardis there. Ashildr/Me and Clara then take the "long way" back to Galifrey so she can return to the time thing and die. While the Doctor goes into his Tardis and gets back to normal.

Then there is the trailer for the Christmas special.

Most important thing TheWho87 forgot to mention:

Spoiler

The Doctor got a new sonic screwdriver, thankfully. 

My recording cut out about the same time, but I said screw it and looked up spoilers. Trying to find a pic of the new sonic or maybe I should just rewatch on On Demand....

Thanks, Benji. 

The sunglasses are okay, and could work as a backup? (Enemy knows about the screwdriver? Use the sunglasses. Enemy disarms him but lets him keep the sunglasses? There you go.)

My big problem overall is that the Doctor relies on the sonic way more in this series than in the original. When the 2nd Doctor debuted it, it was just a screwdriver. But they added more abilities later on, and they even destroyed it during the 5th Doctor era because it was felt he relied on it too often, and didn't bring it back until 7. (Maybe 6? I know he had a different device he called a sonic lance) In the new series, its turned into a handheld version of Batman's utility belt plus. 

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1