ESPN NFL 2K5 or Madden NFL 2005?

Guest apeschris0

What should I buy?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should I buy?

• Buy ESPN 2K5 ($19.99)
    • Save up for Madden '05 ($49.99)

Guest apeschris0

I ended up getting ESPN NFL 2K5 at WalMart. This game is worth a whole lot more than $20. It's so addictive! I played it non-stop so much, I'm lucky to be on this computer!

Well maybe some admin/moderator can close this topic. This one's done. Wait 'til I get more money and I'll end up posting another poll...

I just got to throw in my two cents for people deciding. I'm a casual football fan but since Thursday I've already amassed 20+ hours on it and I was at my cottage for 2 days with ESPN. I've never played a game so addicting before, glad I made the switch from Madden last year.

Midget's quick capsule review of ESPN 2k5, which doubles as this week's Past Time Rental.

Three good:

1. The presentation is sleek. It truly resembles an ESPN broadcast. There are areas of improvement, however, that shall be documented a bit later.

2. The running game is much better from previous years, as all but one flaw has been addressed. It feels more realistic.

3. Defense. For this game, it's really like poker. Easy to get the premise of, but hard as hell to master. Once you become acquainted with the controls, defense is arguably much more fun than offense.

Three bad:

1. The announcers are horrible. While the only gripe you can have with Berman & Kolber are that the synching is off ala an old-school Wu-Tang karate movie, the in-game announcers are just way off course. Their emotions are never appropriate except for when someone scores a touchdown, and the color commentator often sounds like he should be working for the Weather Channel.

2. The Franchise goal system and the Crib are just stupid. Although one could argue that the former is necessary, the latter adds very little replay ability. Add onto it the fact that the Celebrity Challenges feel extremely tacked-on, and it just makes the Crib feel very un-necessary.

3. Movement is often jerky. In an attempt at realism, the developers tried to include a slight pause as a running player changes direction. Although subtle, you really feel that it was over-done as you're chasing after WRs who, for whatever reason, don't seem to be affected by this.

Extra:

1. The legs on the players seem a bit...off...and does everyone sit the same way?

2. Nice choice in allowing players to turn off the whole "preperation" schtick, as the feature feels more like more work than fun. I want the latter in my games, unless I'm over-taking the Germans in Rise Of Nations.

Final Verdict:

Not a bad game, and the price definately makes it worth at least a look. If you're like me and just want to have one football game, you may want to wait for Madden and then compare the two hands-on. Despite the length of each article, the good in ESPN generally outweighs the bad, but the game feels a bit unpolished in the respect that it is only a few tweaks from REALLY giving the folks at EA sleepless nights.

I think I'll give it a three...out of five.

Guest Wrestlekid

To answer Slimg's question, During the Halftime and Post Game Recaps I only get pictures instead of highlights. I haven't heard of this "hardware", but if anyone has any information on that, please share. But during Sportscenter, it shows two actual plays from games during that week.

From what I played of ESPN 2K5, it's definitely worth the price, but I doubt it'll be better than Madden (from what I played, the game is EXTREMELY easy- on offense, you have basically two choices:

Run- get at least 8 yards per carry

Pass- if the wide receiver catches it [which occurs 90% of the time], it WILL be a touchdown.

Due to these, you'll almost never have to use special teams, but if you do, it will be successful [when I tried it.] (Warning: Reflecto is a huge Patriots fan, and as such was playing as the Pats when he was playing the game. Mileage may vary for fans of "lesser" teams. )

The other modes are also way too easy for my taste, the franchise is just enough so it remains playable and keeps a challenge in the game, and the Crib mode has some moments to keep it usable for the game (while it's definitely a lame idea, extra points have to go to it on X-Box for one nice little x-factor the game has in crib mode- while playing, I've found that the Crib mode's jukebox feature has one of the highest limits for customized soundtracks in almost any X-Box game with that feature I've played [most games have a limit of 100 songs you've burned, ESPN 2k5 has a limit of around 500 (not sure the exact number, but suffice it to say it got the vast majority of my playlist on it.)]

I read somewhere that if you don't have something then during the highlight show all you will get is still pictures? Is this true? I think they said it was called like a hardware? What exactly is this?

To answer Slimg's question, During the Halftime and Post Game Recaps I only get pictures instead of highlights.  I haven't heard of this "hardware", but if anyone has any information on that, please share.  But during Sportscenter, it shows two actual plays from games during that week.

If you're on the PS2, you get stills. If you're on the X-Box, you get actual movies.

I must say, I didn't think when I bought 2K5 it would be that good, but I was completely wrong. This is one of the best football games I have ever played. It has pretty much everything a football fan would want in a game.

I'm gonna buy Madden even though I love this game. I never thought I would say this, but Madden might not be my number one football game this year. But then again, it could be. Only time will tell.

The highlights in my PS2 version are movies. Now, the hardware is the thing placed in back and is used to play online which is probably what is needed. I wouldn't know since I already got it for FFXI, so it shows movies for me. If it isn't that hardware then it also might be the HDD hardware that comes with FFXI, but I'm sure it's the other one. I think it's called an online adapter.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. The game itself is excellent and is the greatest football game I've ever played. I'm not even touching Madden, I'm good with my bargain 2k5.

The highlights in my PS2 version are movies. Now, the hardware is the thing placed in back and is used to play online which is probably what is needed. I wouldn't know since I already got it for FFXI, so it shows movies for me. If it isn't that hardware then it also might be the HDD hardware that comes with FFXI, but I'm sure it's the other one. I think it's called an online adapter.

Anyway, I'm just rambling. The game itself is excellent and is the greatest football game I've ever played. I'm not even touching Madden, I'm good with my bargain 2k5.

The PS2 hard drive allows you to see movies. That's what you have plugged in there. For folks like me who don't have it, we gets the still shots.

Btw, has anyone had this problem yet on either the XBox or PS2 version?

ESPN's got fantastic presentation and far above average gameplay. The franchise mode needs work, especially with the computer trades and consistency of weekly preperation. All in all, a great game, especially for 20.

If you're a franchise fiend like I am, then Madden's going to provide a much deeper experience but will definately be lacking in the presentation. Both are good, just depends on what you can afford.

It has been decided that we will get both. ESPN on Xbox and Madden on PS2. He said that was a compromise. I really dont see how, but he can be very convincing  :blush:

:lol::lol::lol: If we could all be so lucky....

EDIT- Also, the only fair way to test how good you are is by facing a team with the same overall. If the team is ANY less its really really easy, and if the team is 2 points higher (ie Panthers OVR 91 Eagles OVR 93 :angry: :angry: :angry::angry::angry: x100000000) your passing will suck big harry donkey balls and your RB will barely pass the line of scrimmage.

Edited by A-Dub