Beijing Olympics 2008

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Opening ceremonies get underway in about 60 hours, and there's still no EWB Olympic thread? For shame, Hamster/IAceI/whoever did this last time.

I guess these Olympics are kinda bad for the Brits, since everything happens while you're asleep, but I'm psyched to be getting mostly-live television coverage from whenever I wake up until noon, and then from 6 PM until whenever I go to bed. Plus I get to hear the sexy voice of Steve Armitage for swimming events. (H)

I'm not under any delusions that Canada will do well, though. Sports Illustrated has us getting 15 medals, the Associated Press says 13, but apparently popular opinion has us in tough to even match our Athens total of 12. I can't even name that many Canadian Olympians other than a few baseball players, Simon Whitfield, and that kayaker dude with the Dutch-sounding name.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at a guide here, the opening ceremony is on from 12.45pm to 4.45pm presented by Clare Balding (:/) and it says it's live. Now, my guess is that if the ceremony itself starts at 1.08pm my time, then they're 7 hours ahead, which isn't TOO bad, especially given the fact that I'm off work for the first week of it.

Late nights FTW!!

EDIT: Oh, and I also support some sort of spoiler tags used for at least 12 hours (is that too much/too little?) after an event has taken place.

Edited by Baddar DING~!

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Hopefully 12 hours spoilers (as I've edited in to the title) will be enough - I can't see anything important not airing in that time anywhere in the world.

Hopefully 12 hours spoilers (as I've edited in to the title) will be enough - I can't see anything important not airing in that time anywhere in the world.

I don't know where you live but here in the US most of the high profile Olympic events like swimming and track will be aired on a major tape delay. Just trying to do some time zone math in my head really quick....most of the events will be early AM US East time. It won't be aired here until 8 PM to midnight at night.......and I believe pretty much the same applies to the west coast....so they add another 3 hour of tape delay.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

24 hours it is then. Has anyone told NBC that the Olympics would probably get better ratings than infomercials and Seinfeld reruns and whatever else they air at that time?

24 hours it is then. Has anyone told NBC that the Olympics would probably get better ratings than infomercials and Seinfeld reruns and whatever else they air at that time?

well considering how much they spend to get the rights to the events you can understand why the premier stuff goes to prime time. The networks or NBC (MSNBC, USA, CNBC, BRAVO,etc.) will be airing live events.....just not always the events that you want to see.

Now that I think about it though, isn't NBC streaming just about everything online? Same with CBC up here?

depends on your internet provider. Cablevision which is one of the bigger cable companies in the country does not have an agreement with NBC

Great Britain will finish 4th in the medals table. 5th in the gold.

If they can even come close to repeating a cycling performance like they did in the world cup then we'll be alright.

Seeing as you guys finished 10th in the last two, that'd be a pretty damn good improvement :P

Speaking of the sailing, I like the quaintness of them having to shove their boats on a normal flight over to China and then when they get there they're all "Well, I hope my boat comes out okay. :) "

Speaking of Olympic soccer, apparently clubs now have the right to reject the call ups from international teams olympic squads as of today.

Which is brilliant considering competetors that are part of these big clubs are probably too big to compete anyway.

I still find it funny how in an entire sporting event full of amateurs there's the 50 or so footballers earning 30k+ per week and have the occasional cap or two.