Something I've been wondering about...

I was reading through some articles online talking about the latest Billboard charts and various other music related topics, and I noticed something: There seems to be a lot of "music experts" who can't stand country music as a genre and basically refuse to acknowledge country singers as real musicians. And I know that I've seen even on this board some people dismiss a singer as "crap" just because they sing country music.

Not trying to argue if it's right or wrong, but I'm curious as to why Country automatically=crap to some people.

Your thoughts?

Edited by bigsheep305

I hate country music. However I am a huge fan of folk music some of which like a lot of Bright Eyes' songs tend to be heavily reliant upon country music and its sound. The reason I don't like straight up country is the god-awful nasal singing that most of the female country singers employ, nor the red neck accent of the male singers. Likewise I'm not a fan of the overly patriotic culture of a lot of country music. It's a combination of these things that make the music unappealing to me.

Because these people are ignorant, and they don't like country music so they automaticlly hate it.

Hmmm, normally I've found that they classify the country music as ignorant, which is an exact 180 from what you said. :thumbsup:

i love country music i was born and raised listening to it. Some of it can be sappy and some of it can be rock hard energetic music just like anyother genre of music, as for the redneck ascent of soem of the singers , I think it makes the music better in my opinion. for instance Gretchen wilson singing "Redneck Woman" if any other woma tried singing that it would probably be crap. he souther drawl works perfect for that song. all in all i'll defiently still be a fan and listener of country music. but I prefer the old country music of the likes of Conway twitty , keith whitley and the likes

Country can be ok. That guy who talks about putting a boot in the terrorist's asses. I cant stand that guy  :angry:

That would be Toby Keith. I like most of his songs, but not the patriotic\political stuff, because he is obviously pro-Bush.

And I agree with the Dixie Chicks. If I was from the same state as Bush, I'd be ashamed, too.

This is just my opinion......

I personally am into older country..Hank Sr. Charlie Daniels, Jimmy Dean, etc.

It just seems to me that today's country "stars" try way to hard. To be cowboys, southern girls, whatever......

I think people realize how fake they are, and lump all country artists, past and present into that category.

i too like all of toby keiths stuff except for his political songs. my fave artist would have to be matina mcbride and brad paisley .. Whiskey lullably is the top country song at the moment imo

Guest Angry Baboon

Because there's not a lot you can get from the genre, as it relies heavily on traditional roots, and as the vast majority of country artists today don't have a fucking clue how to be "cowboys" but still try anyway it's all pathetically fake. The last half decent (And it's debatable whether he was country or not) artist was Neil Young :P

Squancho has no say in this thread since he likes Pearl Jam. :D

I like most country, but I'm really into old school country. Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr. & Jr.; all of those. I also like today's country too though with Brad Paisley, Tim McGraw, and Josh Turner. Long Black Train is awesome.