An Introduction To Mafia

Hey, -A-... I've made a few mafia roles up for my Webcom games in the past that got integrated into other games in the past. If I wrote up descriptions for these roletypes, would they fit into the resource post? They aren't common and I pretty much just made them myself to fit the style of my game, but I've seen them make appearances in other games after.

Examples of course being the Mafia Turncoat, Suicide Investigator, all the way to one of my more recent ones, the Corrupt Judge. I'm sure the roles have appeared elsewhere before and they aren't unique to me alone, but I came up with them without outside influences so yeah :P

Hey, -A-... I've made a few mafia roles up for my Webcom games in the past that got integrated into other games in the past. If I wrote up descriptions for these roletypes, would they fit into the resource post? They aren't common and I pretty much just made them myself to fit the style of my game, but I've seen them make appearances in other games after.

Examples of course being the Mafia Turncoat, Suicide Investigator, all the way to one of my more recent ones, the Corrupt Judge. I'm sure the roles have appeared elsewhere before and they aren't unique to me alone, but I came up with them without outside influences so yeah :P

If they're making their way into other games, I definitely think they can be included. It just depends on what kind of role they are - if it's something that's very complicated then I don't think it really fits with the 'basic roles' feel that I was going for. The Suicide Investigator sounds like it should definitely be in there, I'm not sure about the other two. What was the ability of the Mafia Turncoat? I've deliberately left out some of the 'interactive abilities' that require looking for other players or other storyline-based win conditions. The Corrupt Judge was a really good role, but it seems like it's a very complex ability that's rooted in that particular game.

Corrupt Judge was a kind-of ability I plan on putting into other games, as it works the same as the judge but with vote rigging. Mafia Turncoat role has changed a lot, but I think with the next Webcom the version I've came up with will work out the best to be honest.

As for the Suicide Investigator: the basic plan I had for that goes back to the first Webcom with the "Suck for a Buck" lady from Least I Could Do. You've got a person who cannot post throughout the entire game except only to vote, but at night can investigate one person and get back their exact role identity. They get nightkill immunity but not lynch immunity, and the only post other than voting that they're allowed to make is posting the full identity of the person they've investigated, revealing who they are.

After that, they're modkilled but get a technical victory IF their death results in the death of a scum player, since their purpose is to basically "suicide bomb" one person out of the game.

As an aside, I just realized thanks to my post in another thread that you don't have the Mafia Chatterbox on the list. Fer shame, that one's a classic.

It seems like most of these roles are combinations of other abilities mentioned above, so I'm not sure they need to be mentioned again. For example, the Suicide Investigator is a combination of Cop + Bulletproof + a post restriction. The Chatterbox is a post restriction too, not an ability or specific role.

I'll definitely include the normal Turncoat in my next update since I've missed that, and the Mafia Turncoat if a version of it appears that works well.

It seems like most of these roles are combinations of other abilities mentioned above, so I'm not sure they need to be mentioned again. For example, the Suicide Investigator is a combination of Cop + Bulletproof + a post restriction. The Chatterbox is a post restriction too, not an ability or specific role.

I'll definitely include the normal Turncoat in my next update since I've missed that, and the Mafia Turncoat if a version of it appears that works well.

What I think we should have then is a "Modified Roles" or "Post-Restriction Roles" section of things to help give people ideas for more themed games. There are a lot of legitimate roles that are combinations of others/include restrictions/etc. that should be on the list, but by the nature of the current roles list, can't be.

As an aside, I just realized thanks to my post in another thread that you don't have the Mafia Chatterbox on the list. Fer shame, that one's a classic.

Why, thank you. I came up with that one all by my own - but I'm not naive enough to think i'm the only person to ever have done so <_<

Also - regarding balance...I think that I balance roles well, and only once have I have drastically overpowered a role. I'd be happy to do something on balancing if others agree.

Why, thank you. I came up with that one all by my own - but I'm not naive enough to think i'm the only person to ever have done so <_<

I know you're trying to imply that I'm naiive enough to think such a thing, but to be honest if the roletypes I've thought up haven't been thought of before, I would be concerned with the creative state of gamemakers. The roles I've "made" are so easy to come up with >_>

Edited by The Mask of Norro

I wasn't implying anything Norro, sorry for creating that impression.

Oh, I figured you were just messing around with me. My bad then :P

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...