An Introduction To Mafia

So I've been thinking about giving this a bit of revision and wondered if anyone had any suggestions? I'll go through recent games and see if there are any basic role types that are missing, anyway. If anyone thinks we could do with any other sections I'll try and add them.

Also:

In 99% of the games run here the town has far too much to rely on. I'm all for including a few things to fuck them over, like cults and death miller.

For shame :(

Generally games have gotten better since then and the town doesn't usually have as much of an advantage. That was back when an unlynchable don was practically unheard of... I think? But yeah, death millers suck. Cults are awesome in the right kind of game. ie one by Zan and possibly RW. Come to think of it, death millers definitely have a place in games with a ridiculous amount of powerful abilities too. It's all about the SWERVES~! [/Russo]

...fuck, Russo does Mafia would be such an awesome idea.

That game was nothing compared to Mafia V where I started off as a townie and became an unwitting zombie cult leader bulletproof doctor cop. Resulting in a three-way tie. Glorious.

I know that broken roles are bad. No shit :shifty: But every now and then there needs to be a game that just throws caution to the wind and has completely obscene shit happen to your role depending on how long you stay alive.

Edited by Pesci

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yeah but by and large most people can't manage a game like that, but they see others who do and flame out spectacularly.

I'm not even sure I'd trust anyone other than Zan to do a game like that well. Candor Falls certainly didn't do the trick.

But I have a soft spot for Zan ever since I stunnered that polar bear :wub:

Still, I have no problem with a game trying every now and then and failing. It'd be worth it just for the one that works. I'm not saying I expect crazy shit in every game - that'd be a massive turn off. If I had my way the majority of games would have no abilities except the night kill.

I had an 11 player game with a paranoid bat owner and a judge.

-Judge used their power day 1 and hit scum.

-Vig killed the other goon night 1.

-Don targeted PBO and was silenced for day 2.

-Don then posted, so he'd be modkilled.

So yeah, mafia all dead on day 2.

• 1 year later...

It's actually expanded from a party game called Mafia, though it maxes out at 20 players. You use a deck of cards, with a pre-set number of face cards. Jacks are Mafia, the Queen is the Doctor, the King is the cop. It's the basis for our most basic Mafia. Gongsun Zan took the concept and thought, "This could work on a forum... AND it would allow for WAY more roles!" So it really isn't like Clue/Cluedo at all, save that you're trying to determine who the killers are.