Rock Against Bush

apsham

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CD comes with a DVD with some clips from documentaries about the 2000 Election, War on Iraq, etc, a couple of music videos, some 30 second adverts and some stand up comedian thaking the piss out of George Bush. The album sleeve even has 40 reasons to why you should hate George Bush, and also contains a bit at the start written by Fat Mike on why he hates George Bush.

But hold on.

Did New Found Glory write this?

Did The Ataris write this?

No, some person probably not associated with the musical aspect of the business did it, or Fat Mike himself. And the fact alone that someone is creating a list on why a bunch of people should hate George Bush shows how this encourages conformity. "Hate George Bush, we'll even give you reasons".

So there goes the idea that all of the bands are just saying "We hate Bush" for the sake of hating Bush.

Hating Bush is profitable. Hating any politician is profitable. Therefore, any band can come out and say "fuck the US Government" and sell records.

but to simply say that they are doing it to make themselves appear more serious and intelligent with politics is completly unfounded.

Not really. Most of the bands on their are conformist to what they think punk is. What would stop them from jumping on the band wagon of hating Bush? Nothing. How many political songs have the Ataris made before? How about Sum-41? And how come all of the sudden Fat Mike from NOFX hates George Bush and is involved in politics? (NEWSFLASH: $$$)

Hey, I don't support Bush. In fact I hate the guy. But I think that the CD is a sham. Why not include songs like "Makeshift Patriot" (a song about September 11th) or "Hey Bobby" ('this so-called president got elected in a court-room') by Sage Francis? There are so many artists out their who belong on this CD that got left off. Artists that always are thinking about social aspects of life when making music; not when it helps build up an image.

Edited by PunkRockPete

Argh, PunkRockPete I was halfway throught replying to your post and got the blue screen of death, then I couldn't be fucked to start all over again.

So let me say this instead : Even pop-punk bands are allowed to have opinions, this CD wouldn't sell enough copies (Especially at the price its being sold at) to make a huge profit anyway, records rarely ever sell on the political image they are putting across (I bought the CD because of NOFX, LTJ, Descendents, DOA/Jello, Strike Anywhere and its cheap £5 price, not because I dislike George Bush) and the Ataris should NEVER EVER cover Bad Religion songs. Especially if they do it as badly as they did on this CD.

Oh, and New Found Glory have always sucked. For some reason they thought they would try a little bit of hardcore on their new album. I dig some hardcore/hardcore-punk but not when it has a singer who has a more annoying voice than Jello Biafra sucking helium.

The Offspring, Anti-Flag, New Found Glory, Pennywise, NOFX, Less Than Jake, The Ataris... goddamn all you need is Rancid and this would be the worst CD ever.

Add Good Charlotte, and it's the worst CD ever.

This is pretty standard garbage here. Rock against Bush? Is it even rock, for the most part not even close. And yeay, let's all spout off against Bush.

Did you want a nuclear bomb going off in Los Angeles lately? Nerve gas in Chicago? Chemical agents in London? Bombings of sports events or large conventions across the western world? Yup, let's just sit back and take all sorts of attacks and do nothing about it. OK, yes Iraq was really pointless after all. But in Afghanistan and homeland security, I feel there's good progress being made.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Someone actually said Rancid suck?

Bahahahahahahhahaah!

You wish you could play bass as well as Matt Freeman.

Add Good Charlotte, and it's the worst CD ever.

Juvenile/Hot Boyz, Three 6 Mafia, and that other "rap" music you listen to would make it the worse CD ever.

Someone actually said Rancid suck?

Bahahahahahahhahaah!

You wish you could play bass as well as Matt Freeman.

Juvenile/Hot Boyz, Three 6 Mafia, and that other "rap" music you listen to would make it the worse CD ever.

I'll say it again... Rancid sucks. I don't give a shit how talented the bassist supposedly is. It's annoying modern punk music which is all boring recycled shit.

Rancid sucks.

Edited by cthemason

(I bought the CD because of NOFX, LTJ, Descendents, DOA/Jello, Strike Anywhere and its cheap £5 price, not because I dislike George Bush)

I bought it because I wanted the DVD because David Cross is on it, I like some of the bands on the CD, and I just don't like Bush.

But the CD isn't half as bad as some people make it out to be. It's some people's type of music, deal with it.

Eh, I don't have a problem with Rancid. Just the rest of them, for the most part, are shitty pop bands that wish they were punk. Your argument is not with me, for the most part.

And yes, I listen to Southern rap.

I'll say it again... Rancid sucks. I don't give a shit how talented the bassist supposedly is. It's annoying modern punk music which is all boring recycled shit.

Haha, so since:

1. They have an amazing bassist.

2. Their guitarists and drummers aren't half bad.

3. They know how to write catchy lyrics that stick with someone.

4. They talk about things other than this President sucks or my girlfriend dumped me.

5. They could actually write a decent pop-hook for a song but never got exploited by MTV because of their record label.

What band is exactely Rancid recycling? The Clash? There are similarities but the Clash never got as fast or as hard as Rancid ever got.

It gets automatic thumbs up for having D.O.A. with Jello Biafra and Strike Anywhere on it. It looks like something I might want to pick up, though bands like Less than Jake and No Fucking Good are holding it down a fair bit.

Edited by caucasianheat

All I know is that Fall Back Down was a shitty song.

Rattlesnake is good though. As is Tropical London.

Download any song that isn't on "Indestructible".

I suggest Maxwell Murder, Radio, Timebomb, Let Me Go, Cranefist, Hyena, Trenches.... anything really that isn't on Indestructible. What a shitty CD...

Hmm there's 26 bands and the CD sells for about $6 a copy....that means 23 cents for each copy sold, if its even divided up like that.

Hmmm, "Baghdad" by The Offspring, I wonder if this is another attempt at rehashing one of their old "real punk" tracks (Tehran)...

Either way Dex is still agenius, playing his old tracks in a lyrically with a poppier style to get the retards it is slagging offto buy it was a masterstoke

Download any song that isn't on "Indestructible".

I suggest Maxwell Murder, Radio, Timebomb, Let Me Go, Cranefist, Hyena, Trenches.... anything really that isn't on Indestructible. What a shitty CD...

Indestructible was hideous, get the above tracks, but also Ruby Soho. Ruby Soho's a great song.

Decent idea, awful tracks

More like decent tracks, awful idea.

Now don't get me wrong; I'm as disgusted with Bush as everybody else. I just hate combining political statements with music.

Maybe I should title the cd I'm putting out "Rock against Politically Active Rock Stars".

Then again, I don't do rock,so that'd be dumb.

Plus, that's a sort of political statement in itself.

My head hurts <_<