Should Manhunt/GTA/etc. be banned?

MalaCloudy Black

This is so stupid. Kids cant figure out that YOU CANT FUCKING KILL PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE!!! I hate the god damn parents that blame video games for turning their kid crazy, its not that easy, maybe they should be taking care of their kids. I mean, i watch violent movies, play violent games and do lots of stuff like that, but you dont see me fucking taking a claw hammer to anyones jugular....and you wanna know why? Its because i know better. If i do something stupid like that id end up in jail, so i wouldnt do it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like has been said earlier, Manhunt/GTA games and the like are rated M, you have to be 18 to buy them. Are little kids (under 10) going to do what they see on TV or video games? If the parents don't tell them right from wrong, maybe, but the fact is, if the game is rated M, then why the hell would you let your kid buy it? It's the parent's fault for not paying attention to what their kids are buying. I know I, personally, at work (Wal-Mart) will tell a customer whenever their kid picks up an M rated game that "You do know that game is rated M", to which 9/10 of them say "well, what does that mean" and then I explain the game ratings to them. Seriously, do some parent's even care? UGH!!

Find me one video game, one movie, one song, one television show that someone can truly PROVE forced someone to kill a person, and I will say it is okay to ban everything violent for all eternity. There is no way to prove this. Millions upon millions of people are playing these games, watching these movies or shows, listening to these songs, but one person goes off and does something stupid and we have to ban it? Jesus Christ people, are we this blind? Okay, so a kid falls off his bike and busts his head open and dies, should we blame Lance Armstrong? Agh, the logic of these assholes is just mind boggling. Some people are fucking stupid and crazy and will do stupid and crazy things. It's not my fault, so keep your fucking hands off my goddamn TV you fucking Nazis.

NO!

IT'S NOT THE KID'S FAULT! IT IS THE VIDEO GAMES!!!!!

When I was 5, I nearly overdosed on drugs because Super Mario Brothers made me eat mushrooms.

When I was 7, I became a civil engineer, because Sim City made me want to build.

When I was 9, I went into my classroom, and ripped my teacher's heart out, because I was one bad motherfucker with Kano in Mortal Kombat.

When I was 13, I started Chokeslamming all my friends, because I was unbeatable as The Giant in WCW vs nWo World Tour.

When I was 17, I hijacked a shitload of cars, and blew up a freighter, because I loved GTA.

And when I was 19, I became the head booker of the WWE, because I was awesome at EWR.

Maybe it is the video games????

Yes, I'm fucking joking. (...Duh...)

I have no problem owning GTA, or Manhunt, or Doom, or anything else on the nature. I think what the parents need to do is accept the fact that fucked up things can happen in the world. GTA never made me want to kill somebody, it never made me want to steal a car, etc etc.

Look at the kids at Columbine. Oh yes, it was Marilyn Manson. OF COURSE. Marilyn Manson made them do it.

Please. Seriously, take an experiment. Take two people, bombard them with Marilyn Manson non stop. Both have never heard of him. Now, here's what you do. For one subject, play only the music. Have them never see what he loos like. Now, with the other subject, play the videos, give them magazines, etc etc.

You know what the end result is?

NOTHING. They don't kill anybody. They just change the way the dress.

That's about it.

If the parents would take a fucking intrest in their kid, then there would'nt be any kind of problem. If a game is too violent, or if the parent thinks that its sick, TAKE IT AWAY. Smash the disc with a hammer. Put your fucking foot down.

I played Doom when I was in 4th grade, and that year, when MK2 came out on the SNES, my mom got it for me. She watched me play it. She knew it was a game, and that it woulnt fuck me up.

Take an intrest, for fucks sake, and stop blaming other people for your own fucking problems.

***Silence***

IF YA SMELLLLLLLL----------LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..........

I, personally, at work (Wal-Mart) will tell a customer whenever their kid picks up an M rated game that "You do know that game is rated M", to which 9/10 of them say "well, what does that mean" and then I explain the game ratings to them.  Seriously, do some parent's even care?  UGH!!

At least with the 12/15/18 age ratings we have here in the UK, everyone can understand what they mean...

Whether anyone pays the slightest bit of attention, on the other hand is questionable. :shifty:

Actually, I say that, but back when I was 16 (almost 17) I bought the original Zone of the Enders game for the PS2. The guy behind the counter at HMV asked me for ID.

I thought about this.

The game is rated 15 (although why, I'm not sure. It's just robots...)

This implies that he truly considered that I might be aged 14. Or less.

Rules, or not - frankly I was offended. <_<

(n.b. I do look my age, before anyone gibes about it)

No form of media should be banned, if you ask me. America, dont know about Britain or anywhere else has liberties given to the American people, to deprive them is to throw out the purpose of having laws and anything else.

If parents dont like the gory, violent games: good for them. No one sticks their kid in front of a TV and puts a gun to there head till they pick that controller up.

Doesn't anyone else find it funny that someone stated in this thread : "Fuck, I want to rip open these people's heads and see if they really do have shits for brains." I mean, really, do you think that is really helping or HURTING your point? The later.

The thing that caught me off-guard was the fact that he invited the kid to go with him. Correct me if I am wrong, but is Manhunt the game where you have to sneak up on an opponent? Kind of an unrelated observation.

Free condoms for everyone? Free condoms for everyone.

As stated before, people who supposedly "go off" due to movies, TV shows, games and music are already so fucked up in the head that they can get the "inspiration" to mayhem from pretty much anything. Reading a Donald Duck magazine might cause a bloody rampage for someone who's in the right state of mind, FFS.

I personally have no problems with violence being shown on my TV, computer screen or shoved into my ears via music, but if you want to ban and censor, I think that before you go after the masses of polygon (who look plastic and inhuman AT BEST), you should go after the footage shown on TV news. Of course, I have no doubts that most of the people who want the video games and movies censored also want the TV coverage toned down, or watch the TV news with their kids and tell them what they can and can't watch there. Here's an idea: do the same when it comes to games, and movies, and music. Listen to their records, play a few rounds of games with them, let them choose a movie they'd really like to see. If it doesn't turn you into a raving maniac, I think it will be safe to say that neither will the kids.

Just one word: No

It shouldn't be banned. Parents should honestly, monitor what their children play more often. There is a reason games are rated Mature. Or if they allow the kids to play, then they should at least explain to them the moral nature of real life and the difference between real life and fantasy.

Manhunt should be banned...

While we're at it, let's ban Pac Man for promoting obesity & cannabolism.

Space Invaders for telling people to shoot down aeroplanes in the sky.

Sonic The Hedgehog for making people jump on others until they're dead.

Mario for making it O.K to beat up animals,

and Pong for teaching the kids to hit balls at each other.

Manhunt should be banned...

While we're at it, let's ban Pac Man for promoting obesity & cannabolism.

Space Invaders for telling people to shoot down aeroplanes in the sky.

Sonic The Hedgehog for making people jump on others until they're dead.

Mario for making it O.K to beat up animals,

and Pong for teaching the kids to hit balls at each other.

You're pulling it out of context there. Manhunt is about making SNUFF films, killing people on film for real. Pac Man, Space Invaders, Sonic The Hedgehog, Mario and Pong are all innocent games, as they show no graphic representation of the action displayed, other than maybe a few pixels flying off screen in a sometimes funny fashion (Mario, Sonic) Your agrument is flawed in that sense, in each game you're trying to do something good, whereas in Manhunt, you're killing to stay alive which is a forced situation, but stilll isn't exactly righteous.

People only find "hidden" messages in Mario games being worse than Grand Theft Auto, but better than Manhunt in the violence/story actions. Look at it this way.

Grand Theft Auto = You're in the mafia/yakuza/whatever, but if you follow the missions ONLY you only kill other mafia members, or people who are doing wrong etc.

Hitman series = Yes, you are death for hire, but you're also killing men who are doing wrong. It's up to you whether or not to kill innocents, which I admit is good for stress sometimes :thumbsup:

Manhunt = You kill. On film. The story shows that you're forced to, but still. The way of killing are sadistic etc.

I'm not saying any of these games should be banned, some are just worse t han others.

Disagree big time. I've played video games for almost 20 years, and I believe that before these people play these games, they must realize that they cannot repeat the stuff seen in these games, otherwise someone's going to get hurt real bad. I would think parents today are smart enough to realize that, and talk to their kids before they allow them to play these games.

Then again, it seems most parents are just plain dumb when it comes to video games, so one cannot place the blame for what kids do on video games, the blame must be placed squarely on the parents for allowing these things to happen.

Disagree big time. I've played video games for almost 20 years, and I believe that before these people play these games, they must realize that they cannot repeat the stuff seen in these games, otherwise someone's going to get hurt real bad. I would think parents today are smart enough to realize that, and talk to their kids before they allow them to play these games.

Then again, it seems most parents are just plain dumb when it comes to video games, so one cannot place the blame for what kids do on video games, the blame must be placed squarely on the parents for allowing these things to happen.

I, personally, at work (Wal-Mart) will tell a customer whenever their kid picks up an M rated game that "You do know that game is rated M", to which 9/10 of them say "well, what does that mean" and then I explain the game ratings to them.  Seriously, do some parent's even care?  UGH!!

At least with the 12/15/18 age ratings we have here in the UK, everyone can understand what they mean...

Whether anyone pays the slightest bit of attention, on the other hand is questionable. :shifty:

Actually, I say that, but back when I was 16 (almost 17) I bought the original Zone of the Enders game for the PS2. The guy behind the counter at HMV asked me for ID.

I thought about this.

The game is rated 15 (although why, I'm not sure. It's just robots...)

This implies that he truly considered that I might be aged 14. Or less.

Rules, or not - frankly I was offended. <_<

(n.b. I do look my age, before anyone gibes about it)

The ESRB system is easy to understand it's just the ingorent people who don't want to understand it.

They have poster's in all video game stores that explain in detail what each ESRB Rating means.

The ESRB rating is stricter than ever (They gave Jak 2, A platform game a "T" for "Violence"). So if these damn people would watch what there kid is playing and know the ESRB system we won't have a problem.

Stokeriño, Zone Of The Ender's was rated M (or 18 in your case) here because it had a demo of Metal Gear Solid included.

The kind of people who commit murder / assault 'because of a video game' are not balanced people.

They are obviously potentially violent people, with little capacity for humanism or ability to tell fantasy from reality.

Video Games don't make these people who they are.

First of all, games shouldn't be banned because that's censorship, I'll decide which games I will or will not play, not the Government, Law Enforcement or a group on angry house wives who have nothing better to do then cause trouble.

Second of all games a rated for a reason. GTA, Manhunt ect. are rated Mature because they are intended for people 18 years of age or older. This kid who was "murdered by videogames" was only 14, so he shouldn't have been playing the games in the first place.

Thirdly, if parents feel these games are so inappropriate then they should not allow their children to play them. The key word in that statement was THEIR children. They have no business telling me what I can and can not do! Chances are this women was an irresponsible parent and doesn’t want to accept the blame on herself so she tries to put it on other people instead. If parents don't like it then don't let your kids play these games but don’t try to stop me, it’s my business not yours!