Discussion about The Matrix

Your Mom

Ok Christopher threw in The Matrix. I absolutely love this movie right, but I have a problem with it. I know Neo and all of them are supposed to be the good guys because they are freeing everyone from The Matrix, but when they come to that building to save Morpheus they kill dozens of clueless innocent people who are just doing their jobs trying to stop two crazy people with dozens of guns. I mean I understand needing to get him back, but they killed alot of people who were just as innocent as them if not more so. How do you justify that?

Well if they're all part of The Matrix doesn't this make them fake so they're not really clueless innocent people.

You know I never that of that before. Good point.

No they arent fake. The real people in the tubes or whatever die when they get killed. So Neo may be "The One" but he is also a mass murderer.

Well if they're all part of The Matrix doesn't this make them fake so they're not really clueless innocent people.

You know I never that of that before. Good point.

No they arent fake. The real people in the tubes or whatever die when they get killed. So Neo may be "The One" but he is also a mass murderer.

Well there is alot of movies that involve the shooting of innocent secruity guards by the good guys so I guess it's just a movie cliche.

It is said in the first movie that anyone who is still plugged in can be used by The Agents.  Furthermore, it is also said that they will try and resist leaving The Matrix.  You found no flaws in the movie.

TGC

Further proof of that statement is shown when the Helicopter Pilot morphs into an Agent.

TGC = 1

Srar = 0

Guest The Psychotic One

Also, the second movie expands on the idea that quite a few people in The Matrix are really programs. It doesn't say exactly to what extreme, but I wouldn't be surprised if, say, the President, was a program. You could have five billion people in the pods on the people farm, and then another billion programs - machine-controlled entitys - to keep everything running smoothly, e.g. the Agents.

'Tis all explained by Morpheus in the scene with 'the woman in the red dress'.

Also, the second movie expands on the idea that quite a few people in The Matrix are really programs. It doesn't say exactly to what extreme, but I wouldn't be surprised if, say, the President, was a program. You could have five billion people in the pods on the people farm, and then another billion programs - machine-controlled entitys - to keep everything running smoothly, e.g. the Agents.

Although you do meet more programs, I don't really think that there's any indication that they make up any significant proportion of the population. :ohwell: They just get to meet a whole bunch of them because they're, uh, 'special'.

Edit: Morpheus' exact quote from the film, for anyone who cares:

"The Matrix is a system Neo, and that system is our enemy. But when you're inside - you look around what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."
Edited by stokeriño

I think there is no real answer....the concept was made up in such a loose way that the writer/directors were able to create two inferior sequels with no real guidelines to keep them in the same realm that the first was in.(And that takes away from the first in many ways)

Edited by Numbahs

Guest The Psychotic One

Edit: Morpheus' exact quote from the film, for anyone who cares:

"The Matrix is a system Neo, and that system is our enemy. But when you're inside - you look around what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

True. Especially a security guard in a government building. Their innocence is easier to question.

And Numbahs... no.

I think there is no real answer....the concept was made up in such a loose way that the writer/directors were able to create two inferior sequels with no real guidelines to keep them in the same realm that the first was in.(And that takes away from the first in many ways)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Matrix was a trilogy from the first time it was pitched. The Wachowski's wrote the movie to be a trilogy. If you want proof go watch "The Matrix Revisited" and pay close attention to the part where a guy from Warner Brothers is talking. He says something along the lines of "These two young kids came in and pitched this idea for a trilogy.Yata Yata. I told them let's concentrate on getting one movie together then we'll see about the next two." Thus the ending of The Matrix had to be re-written and a definate end placed.

As for the original question. Storkerino gave the only possible answer. Neo and Trinity had to save their leader. The only way to pull it off was to go straight through the goverment building. The security guards were only doing their job that is true. They had no idea who Trinity and Neo were and what they were doing, but even if they did the system would have taken over and they would have still defended the building.

Ok so if they had to change the end to The Matrix what was it supposed to be originally? Does anyone know? Cause yeah it basically implied that he shut the matrix down at the end of the first movie.

I don't see how. They rescue Morpheus. He "kills" Smith. He has a talk with "us" on the phone about the nature of Matrix, and then he walks off and does his Superman thing. Seems like the matrix was still in full effect to me.