about the movie Gigli

Docpepper

why was it called the worst movie ever . I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I mean i'm gonna go out and get the dvd. my friends are like ughh i can't believe you like that crap :angry: so whats wrong with the movie

Lol, as I said in the SD thread..I actually liked the movie also. :mellow: It wasn't the greatest movie yea..but there's no way that could be classified as worse movie ever.

Whether it was for the loveable retard (if that's the best way to put it)

The fact you get to see J'lo in at least every other scene (for those who find her attractive)

Or...Ben Affleck actually as a decent enough mobster dude :o (And I'm not an Affleck fan)

I actually enjoyed the movie...so I dont see what everyones problem with it was. :ohwell:

Guest Ringmaster

Let's start:

- The acting:

First of all, Affleck is awful. I think one critic put it fairly nicely when he said that his character is supposed to be from the part of New Jersey that's near Boston. Secondly, J'Lo is horrendous any time she sets foot on screen, especially when she explains that martial art technique thing. The retard doesn't do a great job either, he's your stereotypical Rainman like retard. Walken's not too bad, as for Al Pacino, he does his modern version of acting, also known as screaming.

The Soundtrack:

It sounds as though they took the soundtrack to another movie and just used it randomly in the movie. Their are scenes which are allegedly dramatic, i.e. the cut off the body part with the plastic knife, and the music is a sort of circus music. On the other hand, at the very end, we get extremely sad music where, yet again, it doesn't belong. This is scene throughout the movie.

The Story:

Its perfectly understandable if you have a crazy Dumb and Dumber-like cop movie to have a bunch of morons as your main characters. When you're building up to a semi-serious romantic comedy, however, it's not. The characters are trully not the smartest and the whole plan they go through is not smart at all. It belongs in a movie featuring David Arquette, not one like this. Kidnapping the retarded brother of a district attorney should not be done in a serious film.

The chemistry:

The actors have no chemistry whatsoever. Watching J'lo and Affleck on the screen makes me cringe and it's barely believable that they were a couple in real life. They're kind of like watching Test and Stacy Keibler or Torrie Wilson and Billy Kidman on-screen. But worse.

The dialogue

"suck my dick.com"

"Before I got this fucking beautiful-sexy-gorgeous-hearthrob-o-rama-fucking-smart-amazing-bombshell-seventeen-on a fucking ten scale- girl sleeping in a bed right next to me and you know what? She's a stone cold dike. A fucking untouchable, unhaveable, unattainable brick wall fucking dike-a-saurus rexi."

And my personnal favourite: "If by some fuckin' miracle long shot you haven't heard of my reputation let me tell you who the fuck I am! I am the fuckin' Sultan of Slick, Sadie! I am the rule of fuckin' cool! You wanna be a gangsta? You wanna be a thug? You sit at my fuckin' feet and gather the pearls that emanate forth from me! Because I'm the fuckin' original, straight-first-foremost, pimp-mack, fuckin' hustler, original gangsta's gangsta!"

Now, does that answer your question?

The dialogue

"suck my dick.com"

"Before I got this fucking beautiful-sexy-gorgeous-hearthrob-o-rama-fucking-smart-amazing-bombshell-seventeen-on a fucking ten scale- girl sleeping in a bed right next to me and you know what? She's a stone cold dike. A fucking untouchable, unhaveable, unattainable brick wall fucking dike-a-saurus rexi."

And my personnal favourite: "If by some fuckin' miracle long shot you haven't heard of my reputation let me tell you who the fuck I am! I am the fuckin' Sultan of Slick, Sadie! I am the rule of fuckin' cool! You wanna be a gangsta? You wanna be a thug? You sit at my fuckin' feet and gather the pearls that emanate forth from me! Because I'm the fuckin' original, straight-first-foremost, pimp-mack, fuckin' hustler, original gangsta's gangsta!"

Now, does that answer your question?

I must see this movie.

Well here's the description verbatim from the guide..

"Silly and utterly pointless romantic comedy-caper film about a war between two witless mob enforcers (Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez) working for the same crime boss. Al Pacino."

Now...if you ask me, it fits that perfect, and isn't that horrible of a thing. It isn't exactly a 'romance' it isn't exactly a 'comedy' it's not really a mobster movie..but no..it's basically...a Silly and utterly pointless romantic comedy-caper film. Which isn't THAT horrible...

Edited by Media 2.0

Guest fullhouse

I think at the time it was reviewed it was the thing to do among critics was to bash J'Lo movies. Plus about that time it was also, when ever one was getting sick of the whole Bennifer thing.

It wasnt a great movie, nor was it a good movie. It was watchable. I can name 5 movies that are far, far worse.

I saw Gigli, unfortionetly. It wasnt as bad as I heard it was, but it certainly wasnt worth watching. The acting is typical J'Lo/Affleck stuff, and the retarded kid was just annoying to me, I could care less about him. The one problem I saw with the movie is that it didnt seem to flow right. It just seemed to be this bland ride you went through and got off, and at the end you just walk away brainless.

Guest Ringmaster

Ringmaster has convinced me to watch this.

Please do. It's an interesting experience. Now, I'm not saying the movie is that awful. There are a gajillion movies worse. At least it's not offensivily bad. It's just crap.

Guest The Psychotic One

There are two GREAT things about Gigli.

1) Al Pacino

2) Christopher Walken

Now, why either of those guys signed to this ridiculous piece of shit, I'll never know.

That just sounds like Kevin Smith gone bad.

"If by some fuckin' miracle long shot you haven't heard of my reputation let me tell you who the fuck I am! I am the fuckin' Sultan of Slick, Sadie! I am the rule of fuckin' cool! You wanna be a gangsta? You wanna be a thug? You sit at my fuckin' feet and gather the pearls that emanate forth from me! Because I'm the fuckin' original, straight-first-foremost, pimp-mack, fuckin' hustler, original gangsta's gangsta!"

That's just bad, period.

Guest The Psychotic One

There are two GREAT things about Gigli.

1) Al Pacino

2) Christopher Walken

Now, why either of those guys signed to this ridiculous piece of shit, I'll never know.

It's sad when even Pacino and Walken can't save a movie from being a total fucking bomb.

Well, come on, they were only in it for five minutes each.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, this is a bit of a bump, but I came across this topic and felt the need to comment. Gigli isn't the worst movie of all time. In fact, it isn't even the worst movie of August 2003. Movies worse than Gigli released that month include Uptown Girls, The Medallion, Marci X, and I presume Grind and My Bosses Daughter were probably worse as well. The reason Gigli got the horrible press it did was that the media had grown tired of the Jennifer Lopez/Ben Affleck relationship. Well, that and the fact that they did reshoots, and the media presumes that to mean the first cut was so horrible they had to reshoot. It was a lame comedy. Nothing better, nothing worse.