What scares you?

Whisper

The reason for this topic is that I was talking to a friend earlier about horror films and I came to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a scary film. Not that I have seen anyway.

I've seen all the big name "horror" type films (Scream, The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc etc.) And I've seen some of the lesser known ones as well (Wicker man is the only one which springs to mind right now.) Basically all these films have one thing in common, they've never scared me. Sure some scenes made cringe at the gore, some made me jump.... but that's more shock than anything. I don't remember a time when I film has ever truly "scared" me... and i'm not someone who doesn't get scared... for example I hate walking up stairs in the dark, it scares me...

It's like the Resident Evil series... it was always more about shock tactics than true horror. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the games alot, but all they did was make me jump... I was never "scared", if that makes sense.

I think that's why I enjoy Silent Hill so much... it's probably the only game/film that has ever scared me (SIlent Hill 2 especially). Not "OMG... I'm gonna have nightmares! I gotta turn this off!" Not that type of scary. But it was more psychological. Fearing what you can't see and all that... it really appeals to me. I would so love if they made an SH movie... but if it turned into an action film like Resident Evil did, then it would immediately lose it's appeal to me.

So I guess the main thing for me, with regards to horror, is that less is more almost... you don't always need the "action" as in blood and guts, but what appeals to me is when things are left psychological.... where you are actually left to think about what's happened. It makes it far scarier, and ultimately more enjoyable, in my opinion.

Anyhoo, my question to you guys is what makes a good horror film/game for you? And what films/games actually scare you?

I'm a horror fan so I watch quite a lot of horrors and don't usually get like proper scared, but I cant deny that the Halloween series actually scares me quite a bit. Its one of my favourite horror films(All of them minus H20 and Resserextion) but damn does this movie shit me up at times. I mean most of it is so damn realstic if you ask me. Sure they take it a bit too far with parts of him falling 20 foot and getting back up, but that's fine for me. I mean a guy killing people with a knife while wearing a mask is so something you could see happening in real life, its so much better than things like a half man half horse eating humans or something. Sure its not super realistic but its pretty damn close if you ask me.

Carnies,

Small hands you know. Smell like cabbage.

You to huh same that and sock puppets... :(

I don't get scared easy but the scariest game for me is Silent Hill series, movie is the Halloween movies (its the mask I think and the whole eye effect).

Psychological horror scares me for movies. The Excorcist was classic for this one. Especially the parts when you're just watching the movie thinking nothing's wrong, then WHOOSHA for a frame you see this demon face. It doesn't register till like 2 seconds later.

I loved that.

Get The Ring on DVD and watch the part that says "Don't watch this". I was scared out of my mind the first time I saw that and actually called someone and had them come over after it was over so I wouldnt be alone.

I haven't seen that feature, but The Ring is the only movie I've seen in recent memory that really scared me. Even thinking about it now, with the part where they were watching the survelliance video and Samara never slept, and of course, her crawling out of the well, scares me quite a bit.

Not much really scares me, the little girls singing in that haunting manner, heck, evil children in films generally creep my out, but nothing really scares me.

Riiiing a riiing a rooooseeess.....

*BONG*

Heee's heeeereeee....

Woooooaaaaaah yeah he's a cowboy, bad ass in black, throw a finger in the air, let me see where ya at, say HEY! HEY...

what? :shifty:

Guest Ringmaster

It scared the living shit out of me as a kid, especially the part where the kid reaches into the sewers for his boat/balloon. If not, then I haven't really been that scared by anything lately. Except You Got Served! of course :shifty:.

Guest Hurricane

I tend not to watch horror movies, because I seem to get paranoid pretty easily. I've watched some of the Scream series and some of the Chucky movies, but thats it really.

Speaking of Chucky, does anyone remember when he came on WCW during Halloween Havok? I was watching that with my friend Eric (EMoney586 in the EW World), and he almost shit himself. It wasnt scary at all, he just said he hates little dolls like that.

oh just thought of one that I was freaked out when I read "Boogeyman" the short story by Stephen King... I read it at like 2:00am when there was thunder and lightning outside and there is a closet right next to my bed slightly opened and when I finished reading I was freaked out and when I went to sleep the lightning lit up my room and all I could see was my closet door slightly open and when I woke up it was open even more then when i went to bed... I was freaked out people who have read the story will understand.

When I was 7 my 17 yr(at that time) old cousin made me watch Nightmare on Elm Street, I couldn't sleep...but now he's one of my favourite Horror villains :P Other then that I'm still scared of snakes, and in mvoies, I'm pretty freaked out of the upcoming Horror movie Saw. Looks very disturbing. Watch the trailer.