The England thread

Anybody care to make/find a Rooney/Charlton comparison of where their goals were scored (friendlies, qualifiers etc) and teams they scored against. I've seen Rooney's, and with it all the abuse at his lack of goals in major tournaments and how they are all against "pub teams". I know that these people haven't actually checked Charlton's stats (He only scored four in major competitions, and 15 of his goals came against the Home Nations), but it would still be nice to have a nice, easy chart to reference to shoot all of those arguments down. 

Bobby Charlton's goals- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Bobby_Charlton

Wayne Rooney's goals- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Wayne_Rooney

But to me it validates the idea that Charlton's goals came against a much higher calibre of opponents than Rooney, for the most part.

The blatant bias and hypocrisy of the commentators at Sterling's clear dive. If it was the other way around they'd be talking about it for the rest of the week! :lol: 

Wasn't the gist something like "he had got past his man so he had the right to go looking for contact"?

Ridiculous.

Bobby Charlton's goals- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Bobby_Charlton

Wayne Rooney's goals- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_goals_scored_by_Wayne_Rooney

But to me it validates the idea that Charlton's goals came against a much higher calibre of opponents than Rooney, for the most part.

A full 15 of Charlton's goals came in what amounted to (for all but two of them) glorified friendly matches. The Home Nations Championships were largely a joke, and England won all but three of them in the 13 years Charlton was an England international. A further 15 came in friendlies against the likes of the USA (3 times in an 8-1 win, once in a 10-0 win), Mexico (3 in a 8-0 win) and Switzerland (3 in a 8-1 win). I don't think Charlton really faced stronger opponents when looking at just who he got his goals against.

• Like 1

The blatant bias and hypocrisy of the commentators at Sterling's clear dive. If it was the other way around they'd be talking about it for the rest of the week! :lol: 

Wasn't the gist something like "he had got past his man so he had the right to go looking for contact"?

Ridiculous.

Yeah there was kind of an awkward silence after the obvious dive followed by "well Raheem showed great feet and made sure there was contact there, which he has every right to do".

The English media is very different to ours. When we play shit or do something wrong, the pundits are honest about it and often even self-deprecating. There's something very broken about the pundits when it comes to England, it's the most over-the-top bias I've ever encountered. One of the headlines on Sky Sports this evening was "Rooney doesn't get enough credit", this after a week of non-stop verbally fellating him.

Nothing will ever beat the 2006 World Cup though. They were practically sharpening the pitch-forks for Ronaldo on-air while praising Rooney's "tenacity" and ignoring the nut stamp on Carvalho! :lol:

Edited by TCO

Ridiculous.

Yeah there was kind of an awkward silence after the obvious dive followed by "well Raheem showed great feet and made sure there was contact there, which he has every right to do".

The English media is very different to ours. When we play shit or do something wrong, the pundits are honest about it and often even self-deprecating. There's something very broken about the pundits when it comes to England, it's the most over-the-top bias I've ever encountered. One of the headlines on Sky Sports this evening was "Rooney doesn't get enough credit", this after a week of non-stop verbally fellating him.

Nothing will ever beat the 2006 World Cup though. They were practically sharpening the pitch-forks for Ronaldo on-air while praising Rooney's "tenacity" and ignoring the nut stamp on Carvalho! :lol:

The English media is different to the whole world. I mean, hell, we had 7-1 but England are like the inventors of football and managed to miss several WCs and to this day still overrate pace machines like Sterling and Walcott. The biggest complaint is ''the foreigners are taking over our league! :crying:'' meanwhile the most creative player the youth systems can come up with in 10 years is Jack Wilshere. At least that's how I see it.

EDIT: From what I see in the PL thread and on other places, there's also obvious and blatant stupid club bias and domestic player bias, but that also happens in Brazil so I can't say much.

Edited by Rafael

One of the headlines on Sky Sports this evening was "Rooney doesn't get enough credit", this after a week of non-stop verbally fellating him.

One little commentary gem I enjoyed last night, after Rooney's goal, was the phrase "He may not be perfect, but he's English and he's ours."

That sound you hear is John Terry laughing. :shifty: 

Why are BT and ITV suddenly using Glenn Hoddle as a commentator. I couldn't really stand him as a pundit but who had the bright idea to have him commentate for 90 minutes :(

• Like 1

Ridiculous.

The English media is different to the whole world. I mean, hell, we had 7-1 but England are like the inventors of football and managed to miss several WCs and to this day still overrate pace machines like Sterling and Walcott. The biggest complaint is ''the foreigners are taking over our league! :crying:'' meanwhile the most creative player the youth systems can come up with in 10 years is Jack Wilshere. At least that's how I see it.

EDIT: From what I see in the PL thread and on other places, there's also obvious and blatant stupid club bias and domestic player bias, but that also happens in Brazil so I can't say much.

For all our tournament flaws, we still have the 5-1 against Germany.

Oh, and when we hosted the World Cup, we won it. 

...and didn't get beat 7-1 on home soil. 

I mean, we have that. 

:P 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

I actually found the BBC clip of Rooney's red card against Portugal and it's worse than I remembered.

Shearer actually suggests Rooney should physically harm Ronaldo in training. o_O What the fuck? He literally just stamped on another man's groin and all you can do is slam Ronlado for winking at his coach!

Shearer actually suggests Rooney might do him in training, not that he should. The reaction to all that was very silly and the red was clearly nailed on, but Ronaldo hardly covered himself in glory by trying to talk his clubmate off the pitch.

That's not in any way suggesting our pundits aren't terrible...

Why are BT and ITV suddenly using Glenn Hoddle as a commentator. I couldn't really stand him as a pundit but who had the bright idea to have him commentate for 90 minutes :(

Come on, he's replacing Andy Townsend. He could spend the entire 90 minutes singing "Three Lions on a shirt" with harmonica interludes and I wouldn't complain. Anything but a return to Townsend.

• Like 1