General Television Thread

Hellfire

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/17/nielsen-takes-to-twitter

Nielsen Company and Twitter announced today a multi-year partnership to establish the "Nielsen Twitter TV Rating," which will deliver a syndicated-standard metric based on Twitter TV chatter. This new agreement is currently slated for the start of the fall 2013 television season in US markets.

"The Nielsen Twitter TV Rating is a significant step forward for the industry, particularly as programmers develop increasingly captivating live TV and new second-screen experiences, and advertisers create integrated ad campaigns that combine paid and earned media," said Steve Hasker, President of Global Media Products and Advertiser Solutions at Nielsen. "As a media measurement leader we recognize that Twitter is the preeminent source of real-time television engagement data."

Over the last couple of years, Twitter has become a staple component in promoting TV shows, with advertisements and hashtags incorporated into the shows themselves. The Nielsen Twitter TV Rating will further complement that initiative, offering TV networks and advertisers a better understanding of TV viewers' social activity.

"Our users love the shared experience of watching television while engaging with other viewers and show talent," said Twitter's VP of Media Chloe Sladden. "Twitter has become the world's digital water cooler, where conversations about TV happen in real time. Nielsen is who the networks rely on to give better content to viewers and clearer results to marketers."

I feel like they're kind of missing the point. Surely viewers on hulu and so other streaming sites would be a better thing to take into account? Then again, who knows if anyone will even pay any attention to the Twitter side of it.

It's progress. I guess.

The Hulu thing wouldn't necessarily be true because Twitter would take into account the non-Nielsen viewers and that's probably larger than people who watch stuff on Hulu. That said, it's not going to drastically change the system but might tweak it enough to allow more shows on the bubble to stay on the air. Hopefully that's good news for Ben and Kate.

Quite a few actually. Ted Linhart previously talked about how networks have been taking into consideration the amount of traffic a show gets on Twitter for a little while. I imagine what this new deal means is a more accurate number in terms of a show's numbers on Twitter. Like I said (and Linhart backs it up), this won't all of a sudden change make Nielsen ratings extinct but it does give networks another avenue to see if people are watching the show.

Does anyone on here actually do this 'second screening' that's supposed to be the cool thing to do these days? Just feels like a good way to ruin a decent tv show, unless the idea is to do all the interactive stuff in the adverts?

Does anyone on here actually do this 'second screening' that's supposed to be the cool thing to do these days? Just feels like a good way to ruin a decent tv show, unless the idea is to do all the interactive stuff in the adverts?

Never. I rarely watch my favorite shows live, especially on non-premium Cable. With like the AMC shows, I'd rather wait 20 or so minutes and watch on the DVR delay so I can skip the commercials

Two things. Firstly, The Inbetweeners USA version looked horrendous on paper. I finally caught an episode last night and I was wrong. It's not horrendous, it's fucking diabolical. An utter pile of shit would be a compliment to it.

Secondly, the HIMYM mid-season finale was brilliant. Ending was awesome.

Two things. Firstly, The Inbetweeners USA version looked horrendous on paper. I finally caught an episode last night and I was wrong. It's not horrendous, it's fucking diabolical. An utter pile of shit would be a compliment to it.

Secondly, the HIMYM mid-season finale was brilliant. Ending was awesome.

Yeah, I liked the ending, too. Especially the whole revelation of the final play.

The ending to The League season finale was lovably ridiculous. I've loved the entire series, but this season in particular was just incredible.

Anything with Rafi is amazing. His 'Scrote Squad' scenes were fantastic.

Since I've been down with the flu, I've been taking advantage of HBOGo. I watched the pilots of both Bored to Death and Veep. Both show some measure of promise, but neither is really pulling me back. Maybe it's my fever-induced sensitivity, but Veep in particular is hard to go back to, what with zero characters currently being likable (even though that seems intentional.)

I also watched the first 2 episodes of Lucky Louie. Man, that's a strange experience. If you don't know, it's Louis C.K.'s earlier attempt at a sitcom, but it was much more of a traditional sitcom: multiple cameras, laugh track, and he works at a muffler shop. Except it's still filthy. And Pamela Adlon plays his wife. And . . . it's just weird. There's some legit good stuff in there (mostly the stuff that's recognizably from his stand-up routine), but then a live studio audience is laughing and it's completely jarring. Oh, Jim Norton plays his weed-dealing friend, Jerry Minor plays his weirded-out black neighbor, and Laura Kightlinger plays the wife of his friend from the muffler shop. I can see why it ended, yet seemed like a good idea at one time. Oh, and I totally saw Louis' dick! In a multi-camera sitcom!

Yeah, I watched an episode of Lucky Louie and couldn't finish it. I respected what it was attempting, but it's too weird.

Bored to Death starts very very poorly and doesn't really become a good show until the end of the first season/start of the second. Nobody on Veep beyond Tony Hale's character at points and Anna Chlumsky's character a decent amount of the time is likable, and that is indeed the point.