General Television Thread

Hellfire

Speaking of Elementary, what's with the weird one-week break? I was expecting a new one last night, but it was a repeat. Was there some awards show or sporting event or something they didn't want it running up against?

God, just sat through three episodes of Shameless. Absolutely wonderful show, could be my new favorite of shows currently going. Still got about 9 episodes of season 1 to go. There's a season 2, right?

And 3 more weeks to Community's return!

Yes there is a season 2, and season 3 just started last week.

Speaking of Elementary, what's with the weird one-week break? I was expecting a new one last night, but it was a repeat. Was there some awards show or sporting event or something they didn't want it running up against?

I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the fact that there will be an episode post-Super Bowl.

Also, Archer was fucking amazing last night.

I want to watch Elementary but I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan and from the adverts I get the feeling I will hate the show in huge amounts.

Surely if you look at it like an interpretation of the character in a modern setting rather than a retelling of the books, it wouldn't be bother you as much?

• Like 2

The first string of episodes aren't great, which is a stumbling block too. Like, most of them are at least decent with one or two exceptions, but I think it's not until the seventh episode or so that the show gets consistently good (and it's the ninth episode that really sets off a string of great TV).

Just finished Season 2 of Mad Men. I'll skip the hyperbole and just way it's indeed well worth the watch.

It's a great character study, with a complex series of perspectives. The first several episodes (I forget how many now - maybe as many as six?) were a bit tougher to get through - but not because they're slow-paced or subtle, as I've often heard (they're both, but neither is a bad thing here.) Instead, they're quite affecting and perhaps forcefully depressing. But, like I said, I'm well past that now, depression or no. Great series, so far.

Off the top of my head, my favorite episodes so far have been "Babylon", "The Hobo Code", and "The Jet Set" - though I know I'm forgetting a few, especially in Season 2.

On to Season 3.