General Television Thread

Hellfire

I wouldn't say it sucked, but it was definitely more something for the 24 audience than it was an impressive drama. I didn't think it was bad, but everything about the previews had me expecting something a little more... well, yeah, impressive. I'll give it more of a chance because Kevin Bacon is lovely and James Purefoy is great and doesn't get enough roles.

I did like the twist at the end that the whole thing was going to be their "story", I was expecting it to be something simpler, so that was nice. Bacon was fine, but he didn't exactly show a great range of emotions. Purefoy did a good job as the typical Serial Killer character, but I never really felt like he was anything more interesting. I think I blame the writers for that rather than Purefoy, though. I guess overall it was just a little too simple to be really that good. It spelt out everything for the audience, so it was hard to really get invested in any of the mystery. And most of the answers to any questions raised were all far more contrived than smart. "Oh, well, he sees the gay couple in a photo in front of a Lighthouse..." Overall it was perfectly fine popcorn TV. I just expected more. I'm let down, but with the level of quality new shows lately, I'm willing to let it slide by just for not being awful.

Also having music in the background of the final scene was a really stupid choice. Especially that kind of music. Completely killed the scene for me and it was very distracting. Which is a really stupid thing to do for the scene that's pretty much setting up the whole premise for the rest of the show.

Just watched The Following...

a bit predictable (for some reason i knew the scream were on tape) and the idea that everyone around them is part of the "Following" is a tiny big bit over the top. Than again, if it was something supernatural like Rosemaries Baby i´ed eat it up. I guess i´ll give this another 2-3 Episodes to see were they are headed, after all this was the original pilot, right Lots of writing time inbetwen the filming of episode 2 and the airdate.

Fixed by Srar! High fives!

Edited by Jeff Hardy's Stalker

I like that that spoiler tag has been broken for 12 hours and nobody seems to care.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/abc-pulls-dont-trust-the-b-in-apartment-23-from-it,91467/

Apartment 23 is done, according to JVDB and Krysten Ritter.

Similarly (and I know I've said it before), I'm going to miss Ben and Kate when it eventually gets pulled from the schedule too. :(

Tonight's episode was tremendous.

It's like networks want me to never laugh again.
  • Like 1

Similarly (and I know I've said it before), I'm going to miss Ben and Kate when it eventually gets pulled from the schedule too. :(

Tonight's episode was tremendous.

Sorry to say, that episodes going to have to last for you for good (there's a small chance it may come back later)

http://tvline.com/2013/01/23/ben-and-kate-cancelled-fox/

Say what you will about the ever decreasing quality of Showtime and The CW shows, at least they don't usually cut those before Season 1 even really ends.

Instead, they go the opposite way and drag everything out for as long as humanly possible. Not much better.

Say what you will about the ever decreasing quality of Showtime and The CW shows, at least they don't usually cut those before Season 1 even really ends.

Instead, they go the opposite way and drag everything out for as long as humanly possible. Not much better.

Eh. I can pretend the last 4 seasons of Supernatural never happened. I don't have to watch them. I can't pretend Ben and Kate went a further 6 seasons. Well, I can, but it's not so effective.

And to be fair, they're not the only ones to blame. Kripke could've said "Hey, no, I want it over now. Please don't make any more without me." when Supernatural Season 5 ended, for example. But he was happy to let it continue past his intended vision.

• Like 1

Also: Netflix and streaming in general crushing the television business and making regular TV go the way of the dodo can't come soon enough.

The traditional network television model is so broken and outdated it's not even funny. Given today's standards, shows like Seinfeld or The Simpsons never would have it past an original order of 13-episodes. Heck, the only reasons why basically all of NBC's Thursday lineup still exists is because the network's ratings have been so horrible, they have to put something on.

AMC (and to a lesser extent USA, but I don't watch any of their original programming) to me, has the perfect model for scripted dramas. They basically have a tentpole show for every Sunday night. I'm not sure why networks can't have a fall show that runs 13-episodes and a winter show that runs that 13 episodes, etc etc.