General Television Thread

Hellfire

2 hours ago, Benji said:
  Hide contents

Just checked. Jeez, you weren't kidding. Only the actors for Regina and Gold are sticking around. I mean, they're the best two by far, but still, that's a big shakeup. You'd think they'd be better just stopping instead of delaying the inevitable.

I think they have one-shot to make it work, else it dies within 1-2 seasons.

Oh and...

Spoiler

Colin O'Donoghue (Hook)

is meant to be sticking around too.

I mean, if Full House can come back, why not Roseanne?

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why Once Upon a Time was kept, shuffled cast or not. And that is the same reason why they won't pull it from the schedule, not that networks do that for shows with multiple seasons anyways.

There were certain episodes of Master of None that I really loved (Thanksgiving, Religion, the dating one, the New York one). Spoilers for what I didn't like below:

So much of the rest of the show felt so extraordinary. Like, in season 1, I felt like it was such a great story of how two people fall in love and then that romance fades. And it was funny. I adore Francesca, but the story felt so unbelievable. So much of the season felt over the top. I loved every episode that was more about everyday life and seeing their take on that.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever been conflicted on something so much. I love Roseanne dearly. It's my favorite sitcom ever and I can watch it over and over despite having seen every episode a mullion times. It reminds me of my family and people I grew up around. All that said, the final season with the lotto win and book deal kinda trashed it. Is the return just going to ignore that stuff? And it's been so long. I just can envision modern Roseanne. The sets just aren't going to look as real because most sets these days are bright and clean as can be and everything is so overly nice.

Also they keep referring to having the original cast. The thing about that is that Glenn Quinn is dead so that either means Mark is gone or recast. If he's gone I know where the plot is going and it's going to be way too similar to Fuller House.

And back to my thing of "modern Roseanne". Are they going to let them struggle? In modern sitcoms it seems like no one can have huge struggles. For most of the show the characters in Roseanne were just barely getting by in life and some shit went down. Stuff like Dan wrecking the living room. Will they allow people not to laugh?

I just don't know how this can work. I really, really want it too but I don't think it can.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, livid said:

I mean, if Full House can come back, why not Roseanne?

Because Full House didn't kill off one of its main characters at the end?

Also Full House has no cultural impact or legacy to sell out/ruin. I was never able to get into Roseanne but it clearly had a cultural significance until it went off the rails, whereas Full House has absolutely nothing to cheapen.

There's no way around it, they just have to ignore that ending. They don't have to ignore the whole last season but the book nonsense can't stand. It's a continuity killer. Everybody remembers that ending revealing that a heart attack killed Dan the year before but that's not the only thing it changed. According to that end Roseanne's mother never came out as gay but Jackie was gay her entire life, Becky was with David and Darlene was with Mark. The sound byte as she leaves her desk tells us that EVERYTHING after Roseanne getting her desk and writing supplies for her birthday was her writing. All the moments like Dan coming home from beating up Fisher after he abused Jackie and Roseanne staging a walkout at the plastics factory never happened if they continue with that ending intact.

I want to say at some point in the last couple years Roseanne Barr was talking about what the premise of a revival would be, and the out for Dan was going to be that he faked his own death. So maybe they'll do that?

They could but that still wipes out everything. Dan was only ever dead if they continue with that ending that retcons important relationships.

7 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Also Full House has no cultural impact or legacy to sell out/ruin. I was never able to get into Roseanne but it clearly had a cultural significance until it went off the rails, whereas Full House has absolutely nothing to cheapen.

All the more reason for it to be brought back. Bigger potential to market to exploit for profit. 

My point is that any existing IP can be brought back because that's what networks and studio do now. Nothing is sacred. 

On 5/17/2017 at 21:39, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

There were certain episodes of Master of None that I really loved (Thanksgiving, Religion, the dating one, the New York one). Spoilers for what I didn't like below:

Hide contents

So much of the rest of the show felt so extraordinary. Like, in season 1, I felt like it was such a great story of how two people fall in love and then that romance fades. And it was funny. I adore Francesca, but the story felt so unbelievable. So much of the season felt over the top. I loved every episode that was more about everyday life and seeing their take on that.

My main criticism of the second season of Master of None is it barely has Ansari's dad in it, and way too much Eric Wareheim. There's only so much I can take of Arnold before "Hey, cutie!" gets fucking disgusting.

Just now, Benjamin said:

My main criticism of the second season of Master of None is it barely has Ansari's dad in it, and way too much Eric Wareheim. There's only so much I can take of Arnold before "Hey, cutie!" gets fucking disgusting.

Agreed. He's great in small doses. Not enough Denise!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, livid said:

All the more reason for it to be brought back. Bigger potential to market to exploit for profit. 

My point is that any existing IP can be brought back because that's what networks and studio do now. Nothing is sacred. 

I think that's a genuinely awful way to look at it, but whatever.

4 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I'm also now going to PM you everyday and just say "Hey, cutie!"

3 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Agreed. He's great in small doses. Not enough Denise!

Yes! Denise is awesome.

Also, Brian and his dad need an episode. They have such a great, weird relationship that I feel needs to be explored more (because I have a ton of friends who have relationships with their dads like that as well!

Just now, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

I'm also now going to PM you everyday and just say "Hey, cutie!"

Aww, I don't mind it from you :wub:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

The only time I felt we had too much Arnold was the wedding episode. I agree with Aziz's dad, I could've definitely used more of him.

• Like 1