General Television Thread

Hellfire

My emotions are conflicted. Erlich is a highlight of Silicon Valley, and who do they bring in then to fund Pied Piper / give them a space to live? It'll be interesting to see how the end of season 4 plays out, then.

I don't have time to put down some extended thoughts at the moment, but I'm really enjoying the new series of Twin Peaks. Like Fire Walk with Me, it's basically Lynch using the original soapy concept and making an 18-hour arthouse film with it. It's oddly relaxing too, I realise some may dislike the glacial pace of some scenes, but I love how the lingering shots are out of step with modern visual storytelling. Can't wait for episode 5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

On episodes 3 and 4;

Reveal hidden contents

I feel like BOB still exists but not in his original form since Dougie was wearing the ring. I don't really think Dougie matters. We are told he served his purpose. Cooper will get his memories back somehow resolving this issue with the money.

I love Gordon so much. "today you remind me of a small Mexican Chihuahua" is one of the great lines of dialogue ever. So glad we get a lot of him. I got legitimately scared that something would happen to him when Cooper was talking to them and pushing to be debriefed.

There's so much to unpack in 4 episodes.

• Like 1

Honestly, if someone out of that core five was going to go I'm glad it's Erlich, though I'm also not thrilled that he's gone.

But then, after having really enjoyed most of this season I was annoyed at this week's because it basically took them back to "it's the starting premise but with a new version of Pied Piper" again, so maybe this is what it takes to radically shift the balance of things. Who knows.

• Like 4

That's what I was thinking. If they're ever going to be successful they'll have to leave the incubator at some point and at that point, is Elrich really necessary? As much as I love TJ Miller on the show, I can see why he and the writers may think it's a good point to move on from him. 

That said, if it doesn't lead to TJ Miller getting his own show where he's not a monster with a talk show, then I will be sad. 

Edited by livid
  • Like 2

On the question of who will fund them after season 5, my guess is that Bighead will somehow gain control of his money or something and fund them, because the writers love extracting humour from Bighead and making him the unlikely guy to succeed all the time.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one that is watching the Handmaid's Tale? I get that it's hard to come by, but holy shit, this week's episode was bonkers!

• Like 1

Handmaid's Tale starts on Channel 4 on Sunday, so I cannot wait to get into that. Margaret Atwood is one of my favourite writers so I'm pretty stoked that we have The Handmaid's Tale now and we'll have Alias Grace sooner rather than later. 

As ever, enjoying the new season of Silicon Valley, such an easy show to watch and enjoy / cringe at. 

Also, finished Fleabag, which I'd totally recommend. It's a refreshing British comedy that puts the female perspective front and centre and is completely engaging and totally charming, and finds that great balance between comedy and drama. Also got a couple episodes of Love left, which I've enjoyed quite a lot this season. I think it's benefiting from being watched at a slower pace, but there's some good stuff in there. 

I had no idea about the Punisher logo being used as a Blue Lives Matter symbol. That explains why I've seen it on a couple of cop cars around here, then.

Since I'm not watching the Parts 3 & 4 of Twin Peaks until they air tomorrow (instead of streaming it on the Showtime app), I started Billions last weekend and now I'm up to episode 6 of Season 2. The first season was really, really good - but this season kind of feels lackluster. Damian Lewis was annoying in Homeland, but he's a hundred times better as a cocky billionaire who you kinda love, but also want to see him get taken down. Paul Giamatti is... well, he's Giamatti and he's fucking awesome as usual. It took me like three episodes to remember that David Costabile (Wags in Billions) was Gale in Breaking Bad! Talk about a completely different character - I can hardly stand him in this show, which is the point I guess, but he was so lovable in Breaking Bad, which was also the point I guess.

All I've really thought about all week are the two new episodes of Twin Peaks tomorrow, though. I discovered the original series a few years ago, and I've been obsessed ever since. So, needless to say, it's destination TV for me.

Chicago Justice (aka Chicago Law & Order) has been cancelled, and Sophia Bush is leaving Chicago P.D. 

Neither of those pieces of information is good to me, as the only Chicago show I don't watch is Med, and Sophia Bush's character on P.D. is one of my favorites.

(If you've not watched it, Justice literally is Chicago Law & Order, as it follows the same exact formula, and the lead character is the son of Benjamin Stone, the original prosecutor from Law & Order.)

2 hours ago, tristy said:

Since I'm not watching the Parts 3 & 4 of Twin Peaks until they air tomorrow (instead of streaming it on the Showtime app), I started Billions last weekend and now I'm up to episode 6 of Season 2. The first season was really, really good - but this season kind of feels lackluster. Damian Lewis was annoying in Homeland, but he's a hundred times better as a cocky billionaire who you kinda love, but also want to see him get taken down. Paul Giamatti is... well, he's Giamatti and he's fucking awesome as usual. It took me like three episodes to remember that David Costabile (Wags in Billions) was Gale in Breaking Bad! Talk about a completely different character - I can hardly stand him in this show, which is the point I guess, but he was so lovable in Breaking Bad, which was also the point I guess.

All I've really thought about all week are the two new episodes of Twin Peaks tomorrow, though. I discovered the original series a few years ago, and I've been obsessed ever since. So, needless to say, it's destination TV for me.

Season 2 picks up and shoots all cannons last half of the season. First half was a drag, but the penultimate episode I am telling you right now, is some of the best television I watched since the penultimate episode S3 of The Wire..which I consider the greatest episode of television I ever witnessed. I like Billions a lot, but there are certain things I don't like about it. Not a fan of Axe's wife at all..and not a fan of the forced pop culture references to past films and tv shows..its just messy. But Giamatti and Damien Lewis are gems in the show and Wags is the fucking man!

1 hour ago, Alex. said:

Season 2 picks up and shoots all cannons last half of the season. First half was a drag, but the penultimate episode I am telling you right now, is some of the best television I watched since the penultimate episode S3 of The Wire..which I consider the greatest episode of television I ever witnessed. I like Billions a lot, but there are certain things I don't like about it. Not a fan of Axe's wife at all..and not a fan of the forced pop culture references to past films and tv shows..its just messy. But Giamatti and Damien Lewis are gems in the show and Wags is the fucking man!

I'm just now starting Episode 7 of Season 2, so I guess this is the part of the season you're referring to. We'll see if you're right :P

Also, I haven't noticed the pop culture references, but in (I believe) S2:E2 there was a Ric Flair reference dropped by Eric Bogosian's character when Axe ruined his panel. That was pretty neat.

EDIT: Hahahaha, an autographed Mankind/Undertaker HIAC poster? Bruno? Macho Man? Stan Stasiak? Someone on this show is a big wrestling fan.

Edited by tristy

Finished catching up with The Blacklist. Enjoyed this last seasons story.

Spoiler

I always wondered what Mr Kaplan's story was and was quite surprised by how she came to be where she ended up

Only down side to it is that it reminded me of why I don;t like binge watching shows that aren't finished. Now I have to wait several months for the next season.
In the meantime I'll knock over Blacklist Redemption and get it out of the way. I'm not a big fan of spin-offs but I like the Tom Keen character.

@Alex. Okay, you were right. The penultimate episode of S2 of Billions was pretty fucking amazing. I was wrecked when Chuck went back to his hotel and started to cry, after the recap of what Axe did... then another recap started, and all I could do is sit back and just say, "Wow". These writers are something else on this show. The season finale didn't hit hard like the episode before it did, but it ended with a feeling of satisfaction - with a hint of doom because you know once all of this gets rolling next season, it's not going to be pretty. Chuck & Wendy have a weird relationship, but the chemistry works, so I'm always rooting for those two. S3 won't be kind to them. Hell, the next season won't be kind to anyone I would imagine.

I'm about to watch the new episodes of Twin Peaks right now, but I did just watch the latest episode of The Leftovers like @Ruki did. I love this show, it rivals Twin Peaks in crazy and grandiose storytelling. I didn't know there were only 8 episodes this season, so I'm a little sad that it's ending next week. It feels like we have a lot more ground to cover, but like you said, hopefully a lot of things will be answered. I'm not expecting one about the Sudden Departure, though. I think they explained that, in a way, during Matt's episode when he was talking to "God".

Edited by tristy