IGN's Madden '05 Review

thatshortguy

Ch-ch-check it out.

Pretty much sums up what I originally thought: both games were good, whereas ESPN specialized in presentation and Madden specialized in gameplay.

Beware, though, as the reviewer takes a few shots at the ESPN game. Nothing outrageous, but given the recent bitchfests concerning player's preferences, I do feel fair warning needs to be said.

And the beauty is...people who pre-ordered it get it tomorrow. Meaning I get my Maddeny goodness a full three days before the masses. :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the presentation in espn 2k5 the controls are clunky compared to madden though and maddens animations are alot better. i bought espn last night so i'll have to wait a month or so before i get madden

My question is why does Madden have a higher score then ESPN when all but one area goes to ESPN. :ohwell:

i would also like to know that

It ultimately boils down to the reviewer valuing gameplay above all else, although the final score "isn't an average" (although I would really like them to reveal their methods for producing a final score.)

Yeah, I Just got done playing 2k5 for the xbox this afternoon, it was pretty darn fun. Unless Madden totally blows it out of the water, I'd say 2k5 gets the nod because of it's cheap price.

On another note, I can't wait to pick up nhl 2k5 if it has presentation anywhere near the nfl game.

I own ESPN NFL 2K5, it was well worth the $30(CDN) price tag. The franchise is great, the Crib is a lot more in depth and the VIP mode is really kick ass. You can actually play against your friend even if he isn't online. It keeps track of his favourite plays, whether he runs more or passes more and the computer plays just like him.

Guest Takayamanofear

On the features side of things, Madden NFL 2005 is as robust as it has ever been, though not all of the preexisting modes have seen too much in the way of changes. We'll start with the franchise mode, which has easily seen the most work. The big, new presentational change to the mode is the addition of sports radio host Tony Bruno. Billed as EA Sports Radio, the Bruno-hosted show actually plays at the start of each week, and by listening to the show, you'll hear interviews with players and coaches, hear Tony take calls from irate and occasionally idiotic fans, and hear little tidbits about things happening in the NFL. For example, we encountered one scenario where quarterback Mark Brunell was benched early on in the season in favor of Patrick Ramsey. Of course, Brunell was not pleased with the decision, which Tony was quick to report. The dialogue is occasionally a little jittery when Bruno discusses specific stuff related to your league scenarios, but the more generalized bits, like the phone calls, are pretty entertaining.

From gamespot

As a fan of ESPN radio and having players act like this. This sounds so great.

How can you say its 'pretty much the better game' when you haven't even played Madden.

Because Madden is the same game every year.

No dice on that theory for '05. After running a few games in Franchise with the Falcons, I can tell you that it's gone from offensive slugfest to outright chess match. The defensive hot routes and coverage audibles guarantee that if you're able to read an offense, you're not going to get burned. Playing defense in '05 -- once you get the hang of it -- is finally fun, and the Hit Stick is surprisingly nice.