Greatest Guitarist Ever?

Now, I almost added Malmsteem to my post... but my problem with him is this. He's a shredder. Shredders have little to no emotion in everything they play. Personally I find emotion to add greatly to a guitarist. Yngwie simply doesn't have that. While he is a great guitarist on his own, the fact that he is very emotionless with his songs puts him on a level below Petrucci and Vai. At least for me.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of people seem to be mentioning Hendrix, which leads me to this post.

Hendrix was and still is, a guitar legend. The man brought the guitar to new levels and changed how we view the instrument today...And how? By copying other people. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Hendrix fan but setting the guitar on fire and all the other Hendrix trademarks were done long before he existed. Hendrix was a standout because he came about in a state where people found themselves searching for an alternative...An Extremist. At his time, he was arguably the greatest Guitarist alive, but by today's standards Hendrix just wouldn’t compare. There is music out there that Hendrix could not have touched upon and he was limited in that way. Perhaps the true pioneer of Guitar, Hendrix may be a legend but far from the Greatest Guitarist Ever in my opinion...

Guest Wrestlekid

To everyone taking away from Hendrix: Remember that Hendrix (a lefty) played a right-handed guitar, backwards. To do the things he did playing the guitar in an awkwardly manner such as that, deserves (IMO) to be considered the greatest guitarist ever.

Didn't mean to knock anyone's opinion, just providing reasons for mine. :thumbsup:

My favourites are either Satriani or Vai, both are phenomenal. But Vai is simply amazing, and is a nose ahead of anyone else IMO but then again, I haven't heard of some of the people other people have said, so i'll go check them out.

I think it goes without saying that Hendrix -- or any other past guitarist -- wouldn't quite compare to today's standards...because the art of guitar playing has evolved thanks in large part to their work.

Exactly what I was going to say.

You can't compare any of new age guitarists to Hendrix, because they evolved because of his and other people's works.

Personally I'll say that Stevie Ray Vaughn is the best guitar player I have ever heard in my life. I'll also give alot of credit to Link Wray, simply because of his huge influence on the electric guitar, and for the fact he inspired so many people to pick up the guitar. An honorable mention also goes to Ross the Boss of the Dictators, he's a fantastic guitar player.

Some of my favorites however are...

Johnny Thunders, Dr. Know of Bad Brains, Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys, Sickie Wifebeater of the Mentors, and Rikk Agnew of the Adolescents/D.I./Early Social Distortion.

George Harrison, Hendrix and Clapton. Willie Nelson is also a great guitar player, he's most well known for playing a classical accoustic guitar called "Trigger".

I'm not totally sure who's really the best guitarist ever, because you can have so many different reasons for why this person is or why that person is.

The two that I have seen as being two of the best are

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Carlos Santana (who I'm surprised nobody has said yet, he's awesome)

I agree with the man that said Angus Young. He isn't the best but IMO he's pretty close. Also, Randy Rhoads, whenever he was alive and playing for Ozzy, was just brilliant. Too bad, we lost him long before his time.

I agree with the man that said Angus Young. He isn't the best but IMO he's pretty close. Also, Randy Rhoads, whenever he was alive and playing for Ozzy, was just brilliant. Too bad, we lost him long before his time.

I forgot about the classicly trained master of Metal Randy Rhoads. He is a great guitarist but I still have to rate him second to Page.