World Cup 2010 Thread

We've got a month until the World Cup! So exciting!

Anyway for some reason the BBC suddenly posted news about Japan's squad because Shunsuke Nakamura (the ex-Celtic player) has been recalled.
However the best news is that Kawaguchi is back in the squad as third choice goalie! He's a total legend. A chirpy little Japanese shot stopping legend:

My local team is Nagoya Grampus and we've got two players in the squad but one is Tulio who hasn't had the best couple of years.

Is Jesus (Kennedy) in the Australian squad? He's Nagoya's big lanky striker who looks useless for 89 minutes and then bundles in a header in the last minute pretty much every game.

Anyway, Japan are annoying me because their style at ANY kind of football is to try to dribble the ball into the net (a bit like Arsenal but less successful) instead of one person just deciding to let rip from around the box. If they actually shot from 16-25 yards from time to time they'd actually be pretty decent.

Heard today that former Rover Dave Mulligan is in the New Zealand squad for the World Cup. If true it's good news, was always a good player for us and it's extremely rare that one of our former players gets to play on such a grand stage.

Uuuuhhh, Costa Rica didn't make it out of Concacaf buddy ....

and apparently New Zealand has Andrew Boyens (NYRB) on the squad, as well as Simon Elliot (SJ last year) and Jeremy Christie (TB - USSF 2nd Division) ....

so an MLS guy, a former MLS guy, and a US Soccer Federation 2nd division player ? OUCH.

Edited by HailtotheKing

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/784837/ce/uk/?cc=3888&ver=global

Carragher to return to England squad

May 10, 2010

Email Print Share

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

ESPNsoccernet understands that Jamie Carragher will be handed an England recall when Fabio Capello names his preliminary 30-man World Cup squad on Tuesday, though Joe Cole is set to miss out.

Capello still faces a number of selection dilemmas, dependent on detailed medical reports to be examined on the morning of the announcement, with Gareth Barry thought to be one player the England boss is willing to risk despite his ankle injury.

There is good news too for Carragher, who has been convinced to return to the England fold after three-years of self-imposed international exile.

The Liverpool defender, who retired from international football in 2007, will be selected as cover for club team-mate Glen Johnson in the final 23-man squad, as well as offering an option in the middle should first-choice pairing Rio Ferdinand or John Terry be missing.

Manchester United full-back Gary Neville had been widely tipped for a recall but it is Carragher who gets the nod ahead of Wes Brown, because of the United defender's failure to prove his form and fitness since returning from injury.

While Capello is willing to take a big risk with Barry, and is considering selecting Owen Hargreaves, the Italian boss won't want to take too many more injury risks, with Bobby Zamora unlikely to feature because of an ongoing Achilles problem.

Joe Cole's inclusion in the 30-man squad depends on whether Barry is ruled out after a last-minute fitness assessment, although Hargreaves is more likely to get the nod under those circumstances. Cole's only hope would be as possible cover on the wing, but Shaun Wright-Phillips and Adam Johnson have a stronger claim for selection.

Chelsea star Cole, one of England's most impressive performers at the World cup four years ago, is rated 60-40 against making it even into the 30-man squad.

Cole will be the biggest omission from the 30-man squad but in all probability he wouldn't make it into the final 23 anyway, with Capello seemingly happy to risk Barry because he is so vital to his team strategy.

The medical reports so far on Barry are inconclusive, suggesting that he will need a minimum of three weeks rehabilitation before he can resume training, meaning he might be fit for the final warm up game on May 30.

Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King are also likely to be risked despite ongoing injury worries, though Michael Dawson may be included as a fifth centre-back in order to provide adequate cover.

An FA source told Soccernet: "There have been a couple of things that need to be assessed on Tuesday morning. FIFA says the 30 has to be named on the May 11, but doesn't say what time.

"But all the big decisions will be made on Tuesday morning, as there won't be any need to delay much longer than midday, and announce the squad in the afternoon."

Uuuuhhh, Costa Rica didn't make it out of Concacaf buddy ....

Oh sorry. In that case I will lend my support to...I dunno. Scotland perhaps.

Erm... Sorry dude, but I have something to tell you... :pervert:

I'll be supporting USA first and foremost as I selected as soon as we were cheated out of the spot, the fact they're now playing Englad makes it all the better. I love me some Clint Dempsey too.

• Like 1

I find Portugal's group to be one (if not the) of the most hardest groups, I think one of the final two teams will come out of that group, whoever that team might be.

As for Mexico's group. I have a feeling the FIFA will try to do something to screw France out of qualifying to the 2nd round due to the controversy in the way they qualified. I think that group will be won by Mexico with South Africa getting no. 2. However, I think Uruguay might be underrated here and might pull the surprise and leave Mexico out; but one thing is certain [for me] South African is qualifying to the 2nd round no matter what.

Acorrding to the Mirror: Chelsea winger Joe Cole is set to be left out of Fabio Capello's preliminary squad of 30 players for the World Cup. Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Joleon Lescott and Scott Parker will also miss out.

Bad news about Joe Cole if that is the case, shame if Parker doesn't make the 30. Good news otherwise.

I can't see Portugal making the second round.

Acorrding to the Mirror: Chelsea winger Joe Cole is set to be left out of Fabio Capello's preliminary squad of 30 players for the World Cup. Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Joleon Lescott and Scott Parker will also miss out.

Bad news about Joe Cole if that is the case, shame if Parker doesn't make the 30. Good news otherwise.

I can't see Portugal making the second round.

Who's going in at right back with Johnson then? Apart from that dilemma, I don't mind any of them missing out. Brown & Neville aren't really good enough anymore for me, Lescott hasn't been too impressive and Parker hasn't really been on the England radar anyway for a few years.

Is Jesus (Kennedy) in the Australian squad? He's Nagoya's big lanky striker who looks useless for 89 minutes and then bundles in a header in the last minute pretty much every game.

Yes, he certainly is. The guy has cult hero written all over him :D

Oh I remember Kawaguchi from World Cup 98!

The game? Me too! That game was awesome. I played it for about 5 years until I discovered newer ones. But it's still pretty good to play.

This is his 4th World Cup now, but he mightn't be as good as he once was and has had a broken leg recently. But good luck to him.

Also, the Aussie team only includes two A-League players; Galekovic and Culina (plus the now free agent Craig Moore who's been there for a few years). That's not too surprising realistically, but is a small number considering that we have 10 players playing in England, 5 in the Netherlands and 3 in Turkey.

Edited by Hornswoggle4PM

So when Carragher's actually good he's frozen out, and now he's senile he has the chance to go. I'm a fan of Carragher but let's hope Johnson stays fit for the duration of the tournament (oh dear).

I suppose Carragher can fill in at CB too if needs be, versatility is always a big plus when you have to take 23 players. It's why I'd have Milner in the team asap.

Milner and Adam Johnson for me, well above any Lennons, Wright Phillips, etc etc and super versatile.

I'd take G Nev too, Carraghers not wanted to play right back forever, why not actually take who I think is still Englands best right back.

Carragher has actually been relatively good the second half of the season (afterall he WAS doing the work of three men for a lot of the season) so having him in as cover works for me. Especially as I think it might help Capello with his reasoning to actually take Ledley King (and of course Rio who has been crocked).