World Cup 2010 Thread

Australia squad:

Adam Federici (Reading), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Brad Jones (Middlesbrough), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham); Michael Beauchamp (Al-Jazira), David Carney (FC Twente) Scott Chipperfield (Basle), Shane Lowry (Aston Villa), Mark Milligan (JEF United), Craig Moore (unattached), Lucas Neill (Galatasaray), Jade North (Tromso), Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow), Rhys Williams (Middlesbrough); Mark Bresciano (Palermo), Tim Cahill (Everton), Nicky Carle (Crystal Palace), Jason Culina (Gold Coast United), Brett Emerton (Blackburn), Richard Garcia (Hull), Vince Grella (Blackburn), James Holland, Brett Holman (both AZ Alkmaar), Mile Jedinak (Genclerbirligi), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht), Carl Valeri (Sassuolo), Dario Vidosic (Nurnberg); Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus), Harry Kewell (Galatasaray), Scott McDonald (Middlesbrough), Nikita Rukavytsya (FC Twente).

JESUS! He's my cult hero already!

Australia squad:

Adam Federici (Reading), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Brad Jones (Middlesbrough), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham); Michael Beauchamp (Al-Jazira), David Carney (FC Twente) Scott Chipperfield (Basle), Shane Lowry (Aston Villa), Mark Milligan (JEF United), Craig Moore (unattached), Lucas Neill (Galatasaray), Jade North (Tromso), Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow), Rhys Williams (Middlesbrough); Mark Bresciano (Palermo), Tim Cahill (Everton), Nicky Carle (Crystal Palace), Jason Culina (Gold Coast United), Brett Emerton (Blackburn), Richard Garcia (Hull), Vince Grella (Blackburn), James Holland, Brett Holman (both AZ Alkmaar), Mile Jedinak (Genclerbirligi), Tommy Oar (FC Utrecht), Carl Valeri (Sassuolo), Dario Vidosic (Nurnberg); Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus), Harry Kewell (Galatasaray), Scott McDonald (Middlesbrough), Nikita Rukavytsya (FC Twente).

JESUS! He's my cult hero already!

What else dya expect from the Dutch?

Shut up Metalman.

And that squad does look pretty awesome, who's in there group again?

Uuuuhhh, Costa Rica didn't make it out of Concacaf buddy ....

He's not your buddy, guy...

I'll be pulling for Holland, mainly to do with my love for Sneijder and Robben.

I'm not your guy, friend.

and TCO knows where it's at !

Carragher has actually been relatively good the second half of the season (afterall he WAS doing the work of three men for a lot of the season)

No he wasn't. He's been no better than Agger or Skrtel, and we only started looking remotely stable at the back when Kyrgiakos came in. Johnson's absolutely fine defensively, this nonsense about him being 'suspect' defensively is based on one game for England where he was playing alongside an awful Ferdinand. He's also not been helped this season by our inability to keep the ball in the final third - Ashley Cole in our team would have been caught out of position time and time again this season because, by their nature, attacking full backs get upfield in support of the attack, and if it breaks down then they struggle to get back.

• Admin

Goalkeepers

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green

Defenders

Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips

Forwards

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

Taken from the West Ham website in their article about Parker making the squad.

For an attacking full-back, Ashley Cole has generally proven pretty awesome at getting back actually.

He has the benefit of playing in a team that can keep the ball at the top of the pitch, though. It's very rare that you see Chelsea counter attacked against because someone has given the ball away in or around the opposition's box, whereas with us it's a regular occurence. More often than not Johnson is ahead of Kuyt on the right, and it's usually been one of Gerrard or Kuyt that has given the ball away with a silly pass/flick or miscontrol, so Johnson is pretty much fucked.

I imagine that in Zamora's case, they just couldn't provide reassurances over his achilles issues. That and he has player 581 games this year already...

To be honest, that was my thinking. He clearly needs some surgery on that problem.

I'm happy with that squad. Carragher being there is fine if he's back-up for Johnson which it appears he is as there's no other right back in the squad. You'd expect this from the 7 drop-outs in 4 weeks:

1. Stephen Warnock/Leighton Baines (hopefully Baines gets to go to South Africa)

2. Matthew Upson/Michael Dawson (unless King/Ferdinand are too big a doubt due to injury)

3. Tom Huddlestone

4. Scott Parker (Providing Barry is fit for the tournament that'll be him, Lamps, Carrick, Milner and Gerrard who can all play centre mid, meaning these two aren't needed)

5. Darren Bent (Personally I hope he keeps five strikers but it's doubtful looking at the squad. If I personally had to drop one it'd be Heskey. I know Capello likes him and he does a job but he doesn't even play regularly for Villa, and the other four all score goals much more often)

6. Shaun Wright-Phillips

7. Adam Johnson/Joe Cole (Too many right midfielders to all go-SWP is not good enough IMO and Cole hasn't quite been up to his old standard, something Capello himself said. But you do wonder if Johnson will get the chance)

Yeah, no surprise Zamora didn't get in, especially with the Achilles injury. It's nice to see Joe Cole at least get a shot with the national team, and I'm thrilled Scotty Parker is at lest getting invited to the camp. I'm not going to expect much in terms of him actually making the squad, but after the season he's had, he certainly deserves to be in that camp. I'd rather have seen Ashley Yong get the nod over SWP, or maybe even Walcott, since Walcott's been inconsistent/injured/poor for a lot of the season. Ah well. Hopefully Green keeps the starting spot, and Upson makes the squad (Y)

I'm not sold on either Carrick or Parker to cover for Barry and I'm guessing one of them will make the final 23. Carrick has the bonus of being a better passer (on occasion) so he could cover for Lampard also... then again Capello could be tempted to start Gerrard deeper if one of Barry or Lampard is out injured and play Milner on the left... but Gerrard and Lampard shouldn't be allowed anywhere near eachother so I doubt he would. Parker is a lot better defensively and he'd definitely run until he passed out for the team but I could see the nerves getting to him and him making a silly mistake... seems to happen a lot more often than it should for players who aren't normally in the set-up coming in. Hopefully Barry stays fit because his all-around game is so much better than Carrick and Parker.

Was gutted to see Zamora miss out until I realised he was injured. Bent should be staying home. Huddlestone won't make the trip I'd imagine. Parker probably won't either. SWP better fucking not. Upson will be pushed out before Dawson or King I'd imagine, especially since he hasn't had the greatest season and hasn't done much Upson couldn't in his games for England. Johnson likely won't make it. And Warnock won't either, no need for three left backs.

I don't get why people would take Bent over Heskey.

Did they not watch the qualifiers? Heskey does something no other England striker can do, which is bully entire defences and create room for the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and whoever happens to play on the right. Judging him by his goals tally is completely pointless because he's not asked to be a goalscorer for England (and Bent and Defoe aren't exactly proven at international level either, despite being consistent goalscorers in the Premier League). Both have looked out of their depth for England, and generally need the entire team built around their style of play to score frequently. That's alright for Sunderland and probably Spurs as well, but with England it would completely negate the likes of Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard - who are far more likely to be 'match winners' than either Defoe or Bent.

• Like 1