Bad news for Craig Kilborn fans

GhostMachine

Just saw it on Headline News that after 5 years, Craig Kilborn has apparently decided to move on, and told CBS executives he wants to quit doing his show and move on to other things. (Think they mentioned he wants to try his hand at writing)

Wonder who'll they'll get to replace him on the Late Late Show?

(Btw, I'm not a Kilborn fan, so this doesn't really affect me one way or the other. Conan O'Brien > Craig Kilborn)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gotta be John Stewart. He's been the next big thing on the networks forever, and I'm sure he'll jump if he can get out of his Comedy Central gig. Shame about Kilborn though, I was always a fan.

I saw once on Conan O'Brien that some like 19 year old kid has a Late night type show somewhere.  He host it in like his basement and he has gotten a few big stars to come to it.  Word on the street is that he is Real good.  Might be him.

I didn't find Kilborn funny, I found him to be smarmy over anything else, actually. So I'm not weeping.

As for his replacement, I don't know. I don't think Wayne Brady's a funny enough talk show host to be anything resembling competition for Conan.

Say Goodnight Craigy

By Marcus Ferrell | (275 Reads )

After recently celebrating five years on the air, Craig Kilborn has decided to walk away from THE LATE, LATE SHOW WITH CRAIG KILBORN.

On Thursday, CBS confirmed that Kilborn would not seek a renewal of his contract, which expires this year. Negotiations had been taking place over the summer, which Kilborn reportedly seeking a large salary increase. Everyone insists, however, that the parting is amicable.

Kilborn says that now he's interested in stepping behind the camera. "It was easily the greatest job I've had, and CBS was very generous in their offer to re-sign me," Kilborn said. "But I simply want to try something new. I can now focus on writing and producing different television projects I haven't had time for. And this is cool: I will continue to wear makeup in my everyday life."

Kilborn will likely end his run by the end of this month or in early September.

Worldwide Pants, the company behind THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVE LETTERMAN, owns the rights to the time slot and is expected to launch a search for a new host immediately. However, some speculate that The Eye may go after Conan O'Brien, who hosts rival NBC's LATE NIGHT.

Conan's deal with NBC ends in December 2005, so until then, CBS would have to fill in with guest hosts. But, there's no guarantee that would happen. According to sources, Conan would only be interested in a move if he becomes the heir to Dave Letterman, who is likely to retire before Jay Leno, who precedes Conan every night with THE TONIGHT SHOW.

Source: Hollywood Reporter, Variety

I just thought of something........an awesome idea would be to put Dave Mordal and Rich Vos as hosts, as they are both funny as hell, and have good chemistry. That would be a show i'd watch :thumbsup:

I just thought of something........an awesome idea would be to put Dave Mordal and Rich Vos as hosts, as they are both funny as hell, and have good chemistry. That would be a show i'd watch :thumbsup:

Mordal and Vos would rock, but I think they're more likely to be on basic cable. Gary Gulman is another LCS alum who might have some talent at hosting a show.

I like the idea of Henson in the slot, and I'd hate to see Conan jump from NBC to CBS.

And HT is absolutely right about Stewart. Stewart, Chappelle, and South Park, Comedy Central's Trifecta of Doom. They won't let those guys go anywhere without fighting tooth and nail.

Wayne Brady flopped in daytime talk, they're not going to give him a shot on late night. Plus he's just not a late night kind of guy. I mean, we saw he can be funny on Chappelle's Show, but that's cause it's so hilarious to watch him be controversial.

Rich Vos deserves a shot a something like this, but his sense of humor is just the opposite of Wayne Brady, he's way too controversial, even for late night. The only reason he didn't win Last Comic Standing and half the time his jokes aren't funny on Tough Crowd is because he's restricted on television. I mean, Vos can do clean humor, but it just wouldn't be the same as seeing his act. I'm still hoping he gets an HBO special some day.

It's going to be tough for CBS to find a quality replacement. I don't think they'll give it to Henson due to the Spike TV show. He just was out of the limelight far too long after Talk Soup. Watch for them to experiment with a bunch of horrible guest hosts like Tom Green, Whoopie Goldberg, etc until someone finally comes on and does a good job with it.

I think the best place for CBS to start looking is VH1. All those shows like I Love the 90s and Best Week Ever have some really funny people who could do a talk show. Hal Sparks immediately comes to mind. He's funnier than most give him credit for though he got a lot of shit hosting Talk Soup because he wasn't John Henson. Mo Rocca could also bring a unique style of humor that could be viable competition for Conan. Just some thoughts.

Edited by Zero

Here's a thought: why not break the vicious cycle of misogyny and have a female host, namely Sarah Silverman? She's twice as contraversial as Craiggers, and also twice as funny.