Opening A Movie Website

Numbahs

I've thinking about opening a movie review site with a friend....and a recent tidbit I learned(well not learned, but it was brought to my attention because I forgot about it) will probably help us down that path.

Anyway, what would you(the visitor) expect from a movie site? I'm not gonna try to rip off some other sites(that I visit ;)) ideas and such, I'm just interested in what you guys think would be essential.

Edited by Numbahs

Well, it just better have lots of movie reviews...and a full take on Johnson Family Vacation.

*shudders*

EDIT: In all seriousness, I think one of the first reviews should be one of the first films you rated back on EWB III, The Good Girl. *enjoys looking back at old Numbahs reviews*

RE-EDIT: Very much off-topic but I read my first review on EWB, The Rules of Attraction. I might watch that tonight.

Edited by TheROC-Revolt

You do some damn good reviews so I'd visit. Just reviews and realese dates would be fine for me. I badly need a site with like upcoming movies and good reviews as I can never be bothered looking for a good site if you get me. So yeah open it with upcoming movies, loads of reviews on good movies so I can know what ones to buy and then maybe some movie news and stuff. Anything about movies basically :)

First of all, if you're going to do a movie review site, I have three pieces of advice:

1. Don't use the star rating system. Its over-used. Do the good old 1 to 10 rating.

2. Most importantly, don't give away the whole movie in the review. Give a basic plot synopsis, and talk about your criticisms without giving away too much. (ie, if the ending is shitty, say its shitty, but don't tell what the ending is, or mention the fact that it leaves things open for a sequel unless its obvious that the movie was designed to have a sequel)

3. Have a section for reader feedback. i.e, a message board or an e-mail box, and post a few reader comments.

And a suggestion:

4. List obvious screw-ups (such as someone wearing a watch in a movie set in medieval times, or someone in the background tripping, or lines being badly edited) and cases of blatant product placement, if you can do so without giving away too much info. I like sites that do that.

Edited by GhostMachine

Why not just use five stars. If you use stuff like * 1/2 - you are effectively rating out of ten. OR **1/4 is out of twenty.

That's the one thing that bugs me about ratings (e.g. Numbahs gave Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless mind 9.5/10 - techincally that's 19/20).

So if you are using five stars - why not just get rid of the 1/2 and 1/4's and just use five stars. If you give something ***** it doesn't mean the film is perfect - just very recommended.

Obviously quality reviews. News would be great too, and a mistakes section would be cool, even if its only minor stuff that you can barely notice.

I was going to say something like a database style thing, but I can understand if it's too hard to pull off. Just something outlining other films stars have been in, release year etc, but as I say, that may be too much work, or too hard to do.

Try to get a couple critics of varying tastes. I've noticed a few times while reading your reviews or talking to you that some of your critiques seem a bit harsh to me. It's not that I'm saying that you should give everything super awesome grades I just thought alot of movies were better then you said. Not sure if this post had much of a point, but I would still read the site :P

Try to get a couple critics of varying tastes. I've noticed a few times while reading your reviews or talking to you that some of your critiques seem a bit harsh to me. It's not that I'm saying that you should give everything super awesome grades I just thought alot of movies were better then you said. Not sure if this post had much of a point, but I would still read the site  :P

Okay, in talking with my friend tonight I've decided a couple things.

1. I'm just doing a 0-10 rating system from now on. No stars.

2. No more .5s. I think it's lazy.

3. You might see the "Top 10" "Bottom 10" lists disappear.

Any other suggestions that might be brought up are welcome. We are brainstorming about many a thing. :thumbsup:

To be honest, i'd keep the .5 ratings.

For instance two films may have be an 8/10, but one can be a better 8/10 than the other - there are good and 'bad' 8/10's. It can be a way to further differentiate between films.

Also, if you and your friend do agree on most things, then maybe as suggested, a third reviewer would be nice.

Anyway, as I said in my original post, good luck, and i'm looking forward to seeing and reading the site!