Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I'll be able to run it fine. CYRI says I don't have the reccomended specs because I don't have a 1.8 Ghz quad core, but I have a 3.1 Ghz Phenom II dual core, so fuck them. I'm in.

This. It seems the site thinks a 1.8ghz quad core is somehow better than a 3.6 ghz dual core, despite them being exactly the same.

I promise I will never break an alliance with someone :)

You know, assuming they aren't on my island........I suck at naval battles/traveling across the ocean.

The trick, I always find, is to basically load about six or seven boats with an even mix of warriors and settlers, send them over and settle in a free/mergeable space and put your warriors for protection, build a bit of culture then use your navy to bring soldiers over from places with the resources, take everywhere by land. Sea stuff is a pain in the ass.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you Kevin. This laptop will be able to run the game fine.

I custom built my desk top, specifically for gaming performance more than anything else. This thing can run anything.

I dont know if I want to get it. I remember playing the Civ IV demo and hating it.

Although judging a new game based off a demo of an old one is probably a tad unfair.

From what I've read, Civ V is going to be way different from IV.

Good thing too, I found civIV to be a rather hard game. The village thing was a nice idea to start, but then it got to where if I didtn make them right off the bat, I was boned. I didnt like that idea, and hated it even more when barbarians came calling.

Good thing too, I found civIV to be a rather hard game. The village thing was a nice idea to start, but then it got to where if I didtn make them right off the bat, I was boned. I didnt like that idea, and hated it even more when barbarians came calling.

I played so many games without barbarians. If I was playing against friends we always turned them off because of how much of a pain it was to deal with them.

You can turn the tables with Civ IV though and just develop straight up to ICBM and make as many as you can and then ban them. It's, uh, a nice way to destroy the world.

Not able to get online with the laptop at the moment so can't check the "Can you run it thing" What are the proposed specs compared to a title like Medieval 2 Total War? I'd guess if I can run that I could run Civ 5 but just double checking.

Medieval II is pretty ancient by today's standards.

Put it this way: the 'minimum system requirements' for M2:TW lists, amongst other things:

512MB RAM

128MB Graphics card (DirectX 9 compatible)

Whereas Civilization V lists:

2GB RAM

512MB Graphics card (DirectX 11 compatible)

There really is no comparing the two.