The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Anatoly Korobochka has claimed that he was sacked from his position as joint manager of Hearts after he refused to play the club’s owner, Vladimir Romanov, in a friendly against Barcelona.

Korobochka, a former midfielder who played for CSKA Moscow, joined the club as the director of football in the summer of 2006. However, in the absence of Valdas Ivanauskas, who the club said was “away on football duty”, Romanov appointed Korobochka as manager to the Edinburgh club in March 2007 alongside Stephen Frail, despite the fact that Korobochka spoke little or no English at the time.

During his first summer in charge, Hearts played a friendly at Murrayfield against the Catalan club, whose squad featured such players as Ronaldinho, Samuel Eto’o, Thierry Henry , Yaya Touré, Andrés Iniesta and Xavi; Lionel Messi had yet to return to training following Copa América commitments.

“We played Barcelona in a friendly match and there were almost 60,000 fans there,” claimed Korobochka according to the Edinburgh Evening News. “Ronaldinho was at his peak and [barcelona] were terrific.

“Before the game, Romanov approached me and told me he wants to play in the game. He wanted me to pick him. He wasn’t joking. I refused and told him he had done no training and therefore he couldn’t play. He said to me: ‘Fine, but you will not be the coach for long.’ He sacked me soon after.”

Hearts fans got their hopes up when Juho Makela equalised Ronaldinho’s early penalty but the Brazilian added another with his head before Henry set up Giovanni Dos Santos to score in the second half and ensure victory for their side.

Korobochka was sacked in January 2008 and returned to his role of director of football before leaving the club “pursue other football interests abroad” in July 2009.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

Arnold Peralta, the former Rangers midfielder, has been shot dead in a shopping mall parking lot in his home town of La Ceiba on the Caribbean coast of Honduras.

In a statement, police said the Honduras international was killed outside the Uniplaza mall on Thursday. The 26-year-old was on holiday following the conclusion of his club’s season. 

Police said no suspects were in custody and the motive for the attack was unknown. In a second statement later, officials ruled out robbery as a possible motive. The country is plagued by gang violence and has one of the world’s highest homicide rates.

Peralta played 29 times for Rangers, scoring once in his two seasons at Ibrox. He left Glasgow in January this year to return to Honduras and play for Club Deportivo Olimpia. He previously played for Club Deportivo Vida.

The player’s father, Carlos Peralta, confirmed the death at a news conference. “This is terrible. They killed my exemplary son. I can’t say more because of the pain I feel.”

Osman Madrid, director of Honduras’ national football federation, said, “This is a tragic death that the national sport mourns.”

Olimpia were eliminated from the league’s semi-final last weekend by their arch rival, Motagua.

The club expressed its condolences through its official Twitter account.

Peralta had been scheduled to play in the national team’s friendly against Cuba next week.

He represented Honduras at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and the 2012 Olympic Games in London. He was captain of Honduras’ Under-20 side. 

• 2 months later...
On 04/12/2014 at 19:27, MDK said:

Scotland might even qualify!

On 18/11/2014 at 22:28, MDK said:

Good to see Scotland shut up for once

On 02/05/2014 at 20:55, MDK said:

What is this numbers bullshit, let's insult Scotland

On 02/05/2014 at 19:39, MDK said:

Scotland aren't in the World Cup :/

On 20/06/2012 at 12:53, MDK said:

A man on the line is technology.

In Scotland.

12 minutes ago, MDK said:

lol Scotland fitba

Why are you so obsessed? :/

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Admin

Dundee United have parted company with the defender Gavin Gunning by mutual consent, the club said on Tuesday, three days after the Irishman inexplicably picked up the ball and walked off the field during a match.

The 25-year-old was playing in Saturday’s league match against Inverness when he scooped up the ball, walked to the touchline and claimed he was injured. He was ordered to return to the pitch by United’s manager, Mixu Paatelainen.

When Gunning was substituted shortly after the incident, he walked away down the tunnel whilst appearing to sarcastically applaud the club’s supporters.

United, who are bottom of the Scottish Premiership, released a brief statement which read: “Gavin Gunning has left Dundee United by mutual consent. This is a private matter and the club will not make any further comment.”