Elder Scrolls V: Skeerim

apsham

Well we've all heard of it being announced - about time we all decided to get hyped up for it.

Bethesda's next Elder Scrolls game will nix classes, revamp leveling, and allow players to wield anything they want in each hand.

Gameplay details on Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have leaked out of an upcoming Game Informer feature. The fifth Elder Scrolls RPG will be changing and upgrading many of the aspects last seen in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Gone is the maligned level scaling system from Oblivion, which caused enemies to level along with the player. Replacing it is one that the Skyrim senior community manager says is more "like Fallout 3." Fallout 3's system only boosts the levels of enemies in critical areas when players first enter, and keeps them that way for the rest of the game.

Leveling itself works in a similar manner to Oblivion, but Bethesda has nixed classes in favor of a system that is more open to allow for either specialization or a broad use of everything. There are 18 total skills, down from 21 in Oblivion. Using any skill levels both it and the player at the same rate. However, the higher in rank a skill is when it gains a level, the more quickly it will level the player. Gaining a level also gives a perk, in another apparent nod to Fallout.

The big news about Skyrim's combat comes from the addition of a new duel-wielding system. Any weapon or spell can now be assigned to each hand. Want a shield in your left and a sword in your right? Go ahead. How about a dagger in your right and a fireball in your left? How about a shield in your right and a heal spell in your left, to bore enemies to death? Apparently, anything is possible.

Skyrim is indeed set 200 years after Oblivion and players evidently do play as the Dragonborn mentioned in the game's first trailer. The player's goal is to stop Alduin, the dragon god "world eater" mentioned in the recently translated Elder Scrolls V poem.

Along the way, Skyrim will throw a more dynamic quest system at players, with some quests only given to those with a certain level of skill in specific areas like magic or thievery. In addition, the player's decisions will affect the quests they can receive, with the family member of someone you killed possibly not wanting to give you a quest they otherwise would.

Skyrim will also feature a weapon creation system, an NPC dueling system, improved graphics, better character creation options, finishing moves, the ability to sprint, and more. In other words, probably just what Oblivion fans were looking for. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will be released on November 11, 2011.

Unsure how I feel about scrapping the classes, some of us really like to be overly specialized. That said, most of the changes are exactly what I wanted in Oblivion. I would personally really like different levelling systems you can select, to decide the difficulty of the game you want to play. But this system is much better than the awful one Oblivion had.

Ah, that's wonderful. I love the idea of removing classes, it means guys like me who probably won't play through the game more than once (seeing as it'll hopefully be a long ass game) will have the chance to experience all the things we want without the effort of starting a new game. If midway through the game I decide I'm bored of swords and shields, I like the idea that I'll be able to start picking up Magic.

Wow, that's a fucking beauty of a screen shot.

It all sounds pretty good to me though. I did like the leveling system for Oblivion, but I have faith that the revamped system should work out fine.

Also like that they went above and beyond being able to wield two weapons at once. I think a lot of folks were just hoping to use two swords at once, but hell, an axe and a bolt of lightning at the same time? I can dig it.

.....IS IT NOVEMBER YET?! FUCK.

Not big on removing the classes, but I do like that they've kept the leveling system and changed the way enemies level.

I am totally being a duel-dagger wielding thief :D

Maybe they keep the vampire disease? When I first got the game and was told I was infected? That was cool....got the cure right away, but it was still cool!

I haven't played Oblivion in a few months now because I got the vampire curse. Well, its also because I was in the witch's house, giving her some of the ingredients for the cure, and after I was done I realized I needed to stay in her house because it was sunlight. So, I try to rest, and I see that I can't because I'm "trespassing." Then, the witch starts attacking me. I try to run outside (because I don't want to kill her), and, yeah, its day. But the worst part is (and this is all my fault) that the last save time was weeks before this incident, since I'd just been relying on the auto-save. So, I have to try to defend myself all day in the witch's house without killing her.

But holy fuck, that screenshot is amazing!

Well, I have my 'Non-NCAA Football Game DMN Will Wank Over' game. I absolutely adore Oblivion, but it's such a fucking chore to play because of the way the enemies level. If you don't have a properly balanced character, you end up getting eaten alive because you over-level too easily (this was especially prevalent for me, because I adore warrior classes and grinding), and the only other option is to never sleep, and thus, level.

With that changed, I'm happy. I liked the leveling/perks system for Fallout, so that works for me as well. Not sure if I'm happy with the removal of classes, because it's always nice to have a template, but if it's done in a way that encourages organic growth of a character (that is, there are multiple ways to solve most problems), then I am all for it.

Hate to be a party pooper but if that picture is real and thats what the graphics of the game are like, it would take up a lot of memory, the game would be very slow and wouldn't it mean like a million hours of coding for Bethesda? Apart from that I'm pretty siked up for this, even though I have to go to a wedding on the release day!

Yeah, if you've ever been in water in Oblivion you can tell that screenshot is not legit. :P

Impressions:

Perks are a plus.

Better boobs also a plus.

Not sure how I feel about Darth Vader skeletons.

It's like they hired a guy to specifically make the boobs in this game more voluptuous. I could think of other things I'd like to see resources devoted too, but knowing some of the people I do who play ES I can say that's a very good thing for them.

Hopefully there isn't 10,000,000 skeletons to fight in this game and they all look exactly the same.

Anyone read the article parts below the skeleton section? I like how it talked about NPCs interacting with items that you've dropped and the possiblity of being approached to do a rescue mission - and the game setting it in a dungeon you haven't yet visited as well as tailoring the enemies within to your level.

I'll try and not post anything that's been posted before, unless it elaborates on something that was said before.

85 spells overall, some are just variations on a spell(simple fireball, fire spell that is like a flamethrower, etc.) "Set two completely different spells in either hand, or put the same spell in both hands, letting you combine the spell to extraordinary effect."

Also not sure if it's been mentioned, but whatever skill you use(one-handed weapons, illusion magic), that levels up the more you use it, and contributes to your overall level. As opposed to Oblivion where you just pick 3 skills and those are the only thing that can level you up. Also raising a skill from 34 to 35 will level you up faster than raising a skill from 11 to 12.

Perks: Each level brings the choice of a perk, one of dozens of special powerups tied to the 18 skills. These perks may increase the damage of your dagger during stealth attacks, your mace ignoring enemy armor, etc.

There are 50 levels for you to get(as opposed to 25 in Oblivion/Fallout), but it's in the same amount of playtime, and you level up way faster in the beginning. "Even after level 50, players will be able to continue gaining new levels, but the process will be dramatically slow."

Melee battles feel heavier, have finishing moves. Bows take longer to draw back, but more powerful. Can't just backpedal like in Oblivion.

The menu system sounds cool too. The interface is like iTunes with the scrollable albums, and the screenshot that shows the skills, each one is visuall represented by a constellation.

Dragons sound awesome. "...signs that the dragons would be returning were laid out in the predictions. Shattering of the Staff of Chaos(Elder Scrolls Arena), appearance of Numidium(Daggerfall), volcanic Red Mountain(Morrowind), opening of the Oblivion Gates(Oblivion.)" "Dragons won't be some legendary concept left dangling before players until the end of the game. Dragons are real and regular threats in the game world. They fly into battle at unexpected times. They ravage towns. They wield awesome power. And you'll have to face them repeatedly in single combat."

Also each dragon you kill you'll earn abilities called dragon shouts from their souls. One sends foes hurling away from you, another slows down time. Another is spoken quietly as it allows you to go from one place to another instantly, and one is an actual dragon that comes to your aid in battle.

• Like 1