The MST3K Thread

Josh

1 hour ago, thatshortguy said:

That is huge for Jonah.  I've dug everything he has done on the Nerdist channels, so I am totally cool with him getting the nod.

But...is it Big, Huge, McLarge for him?

I'm still a card carrying MST3K fan (Member #56675), but I'm kind of ambivalent toward the show without any of the past actors taking part. And I can't imagine anyone other than Kevin Murphy as Tom Servo. (And yes, I know he didn't take over as Servo until season 2) 

Incidentally, to me the show jumped the shark when Trace left. Still good, but just wasn't the same.

Edited by GhostMachine

Trace was my favourite Mad, and Kevin my favourite Tom Servo. I think Mike was a "better" host, in terms of being a more well-rounded performer, but that Joel's sleepy, slightly off-kilter performance was more likeable to me personally. Everyone who has ever brought anything to the table has added to the product in one way or another, while not being the same as their predecessor. Joel has made a very good case for why that's a good thing, and why it should continue to be a good thing.

I absolutely think that the former cast should make appearances and cameos, and I'm sure many of them will. If it gets picked up for another season anywhere, maybe even more of them will pop up in the future. But a nostalgia run for thirty and forty-somethings who watched it more than fifteen or twenty years ago would have a limited shelf life compared to a new series in much the same spirit aimed at being exactly that, a new series, not a greatest hits show remembering how great it was. 

• Like 2

I completely agree with the assessment in that first paragraph, Skummy. But it'll be weird if they don't have any old characters as regulars. And if there are new bots instead of Crow and Servo...fuck it.

If done right, I'm hoping that someone (NOT SyFy!!!!!) picks it up for at least a season or two.

Mary Jo was good as Pearl, but Trace was freakin' brilliant as Doctor F, and Bobo and Observer sucked as minions. 

(Also, i just realized I have no idea where the Crow pin and bumper stickers pack I got from Best Brains back in the day are. I also ordered the fan club kit, a VHS tape, and the autographed episode guide (needs Joel's signature), but I know where those are. I should still have the pin, but the bumper stickers may have gotten tossed. Which sucks royally, if they did.)

As an adult, MST3K and Doctor Who are the only tv shows I've ever bought merchandise for. 

Edited by GhostMachine

4 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I completely agree with the assessment in that first paragraph, Skummy. But it'll be weird if they don't have any old characters as regulars. And if there are new bots instead of Crow and Servo...fuck it.

Crow and Servo are still the bots. New voices; I like Crow's fine but Servo's could use some work.

I do really like Joel's take on it, comparing it to Doctor Who. Having shown up for MST3K right when it was about to come to a close, I'm more of a Mike/Pearl era guy though if pressed on it I'd say that Dr. Forrester was the best Mad. Hopefully if this works out, there'll be Jonah/???-era fans too.

Relatedly; it hit 2 million, so now there will for sure be three episodes of this MST3K at bare minimum, and everyone who's donated $35 or more gets the three classic episodes too. Hooray!

That reminds me I still haven't had a chance to donate.  I like all bar the earliest MST3k episodes. But I know that they hadn't quite found their feet yet in those so it's forgivable. I first encountered the show via the movie so I have a bit of a preference for Mike and I really love Bill Corbett as Crow. But, I also like watching Joel era episodes. I just have to be in the right mood.

I don't have a preference between Joel and Mike, as they were both awesome in different ways. I just prefer Doctor Forrester over Pearl. And Bobo and Observer flat out stunk.

Don't get me wrong: I'll be looking forward to this new MST3K, but I have my reservations that it won't be as good as the original.

MOVIE SIGN, bitches!!!

• Like 1

Felicia Day is the new Mad. She'll be playing Kinga Forrester, daughter of Clayton Forrester.

Hampton Yount is the new Crow and Baron Vaughn is the new Servo.

I've never heard of Hampton Yount but I like Felicia Day and since I started listening to Maltin on Movies when it started last year I have grown to quite enjoy Baron Vaughn.

• Like 1

Yay Felicia! She's easily one of my favorite internet personalities (for lack of a better term) and she'll fit right in with MST3K.

On one hand, I don't really care for Baron Vaughn as Servo (the voice is a little too high pitched for my Kevin Murphy-as-Servo trained ears), but on the other hand I do like Baron Vaughn. So neat. The Felicia Day news has been basically an open secret, and now the default image on the Kickstarter video has added a new Mystery Person spot for whoever her assistant is going to be.

New bonuses; if they get to 2.75 million by the Turkey Day marathon, three more classic episodes will be available as rewards for anyone who backs over $35. If they manage to get to the $3.3 goal by the end of Thanksgiving (somehow) there's some sort of major reward coming in a subsequent post.

I upped my donation to $50 because fuck it, GIMME THE SHIRT.

Hey guys, it's Turkey Day time!

Campaign update: they've hit the 50% mark, which means that everyone pledging $35 or more gets six classic episodes. If they hit 3.3 million today anyone who pledges $85 or more gets their name (or any name you want) in the credits, and they added an $85 tier that's only the digital episodes if you don't want to pay shipping.

• Like 2

Actually That's a perfect casting I think.

• Like 2