The MST3K Thread

Josh

Yea, that was a damn near spot on Crow.  Servo still needs a little work

At the moment, Baron Vaughan's Servo reminds me of early Servo. Mainly down to the puppetry I think. Kevin Murphy really made Servo seem a little more lively.

Yeah, Yount sounds like a combination of Trace and Corbett, which is great.  But Vaughan's voice is very, very different from Kevin Murphy's.  I think he needs to go lower.

Edited by Maxx

Frank Conniff's response to a quesiton about having Joel appear on the show Frank and Trace are doing is implying things that make me sad.

• Like 1

Gah, I thought that particular drama was over, or at least in sort of the polite dismissal stage. Frank and Trace have both been pretty openly peeved about not being included, but it seemed to have simmered down into a "we wish the new cast well but we won't be a part of it" thing. Ultimately, I like J. Elvis Weinstein's take best:

As for the state of the Kickstarter! The main Kickstarter will cross 4 million today, and add-on purchases (shirts, downloadable episodes, etc.) are around 200K so they're getting close to 9 episodes being made. They also added a bunch of bonus rewards for getting over certain incremental amounts; thusfar what's been passed is a downloadable album of classic MST3K songs for anyone who's donated over $35, and a second t-shirt design option for anyone who has the t-shirt as one of their rewards.

They're doing livestreams of two classic episodes per night until Friday, the final night, when they're doing a 5-hour long telethon with a really long list of guests, including the new cast and the following:

Spoiler

• DAN HARMON & JUSTIN ROILAND (Rick & Morty)
     • PENDLETON WARD (Adventure Time)
     • ROBERT LOPEZ(The Book of Mormon, Avenue Q, Frozen)      
     • STEVE ZARAGOZA (SourceFed) 
     • DANA GOULD (The Simpsons, standup comedian)
     • MICHAEL CARBONARO (The Carbonaro Effect)
     • DEREK HUGHES (magician, AGT finalist) 
     • FREEZEPOP (electropop music) 
     • STARBOMB (videogame rock) 
     • JOHN CARNEY (comedian, magician and prestidigitation) 
     • GAME GRUMPS (Let's Play webseries) 
     • MASTER PANCAKE (movie riffers)  
     • AND MORE GUESTS, still to be announced!

I do wonder whether Joel consulted any of them prior to launching the Kickstarter. Or if there's some other issues. Trace and Frank really seem the only two guys who might want a gig out of an MST3k reboot. The Rifftrax guys don't need it. Although it seems like a goldmine if the new MST3k and Rifftrax crossed over. More than if Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank made a return to the show.

I think they knew in advance that it was happening, but probably none of the specifics and that's where the rift started. There was a comment Trace made, I think earlier this year, that was "I'm not part of any new MST3K reboot." But on a radio interview on Sunday night he also said that he'd received a "generous offer" to come back and turned it down, presumably the offers Joel announced he'd made last week.

EDIT: New reward announced! Everyone who donates any amount at all will get a free download of a short from Rifftrax if they hit 4.4 million by 10am PST tomorrow.

EDIT II: oh shit, the designs for the USB drives are fantastic.

They haven't announced it, but the amount the Kickstarter is at ($4,147,000) and the amount of money last reported in purchases from the online store (255K) puts the total over 4.4 million. Nine episodes!!!

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

They haven't announced it, but the amount the Kickstarter is at ($4,147,000) and the amount of money last reported in purchases from the online store (255K) puts the total over 4.4 million. Nine episodes!!!

And now they have announced it, and also basically a murderer's row of talent who will be working on the show. The writers room, in addition to the new cast, will feature Paul Chaplin (original series vet), a mix of unknown remote writers and also a roster of Guest Writers including Dan Harmon, Dana Gould, Rob Schrab (who's making the next Lego Movie), Rick and Morty co-creater Justin Roiland, and more. And also they're getting the guy who wrote the songs on Frozen to write songs for them. And also people from the original crew (props, costuming, music) will be back.

I mean... jeez. Jeez.

• Like 1

I Rob Schraab and Dan Harmon go back a way too. They wrote Heatvision and Jack which is still the funniest thing  I've ever seen Jack Black and Owen Wilson in.

Everyone of those people are amazingly funny

This is all kinda amazing.

I just remembered to back the kickstarter. Hooray!

Also the following people are, according to the latest update, down for cameos:

Jack Black, Joel McHale, Bill Hader, Jerry Seinfeld, Neil Patrick Harris and Mark Hamil.

I only really want Hamill out of that list, but Jack Black gives good cameos.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it now I'm pretty excited about Bill Hader too. I think there's an alternate universe where he would have been a great MST3K host.

Kickstarter is basically 4.5 million, and the add-on store purchases were at 375K as of the update this morning, so they're a little over 600K away from 12 episodes.

And Rebecca Sugar, and Adam Savage. It's... there's a lot going on. A lot.

Final update before the telethon tonight (which I am fucking working during uuuuuuugh); they're at about 5.35 million overall so 12 episodes seems like a guarantee... and so they're dangling one last carrot. If they get to 5.9 million in the final ten hours, there will also be a holiday special as the 13th episode.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

And there it is. 5.075 million from the Kickstarter, 425K from the add-on store equals 5.5 million. There will be twelve episodes.

And then they hit 5.9 million and got the Holiday Special during the telethon. And then Joel said "well if we get 6.3 million we can do a 14th episode too" and then they hit that in the very last minute. Goddamn.