The MST3K Thread

Josh

It's sad that so few of the original cast seem to be involved, though I agree with Joel's stance that it should be a genuine new series, not a nostalgia gimmick. What I'm hoping is that the series will be a huge success, it'll get picked up for a second season and then some of the original cast will be more likely to accept an invitation to come back for a cameo or two.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-live-2016-mst3k-reunion-time-chasers-live

Rifftrax are kickstarting an MST3k reunion for their 20th live Rifftrax event where they will riff Time Chasers They have some original cast members confirmed and are inviting new MST3k cast to appear too.

The reunion and Time Chasers are separate things, actually; for the reunion it's going to be all shorts, with different configurations of riffers for each one and then one at the end with everyone.

I donated $10, might up it depending on what the stretch goal movies are. Definitely interested to see who else confirms (their web guy more or less confirmed that Joel and Josh have been invited too), though I think the reunion date is probably going to conflict with when MST3K is filming.

• 2 months later...

Joel announced yesterday that Elliott Kalan is the new head writer. Kalan is the former head writer for The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart.

• 1 month later...

Got some of my kickstarter rewards today including:

Access streaming to 4 (currently) MST3k episodes (Mad Monster, Robot vs The Aztec Warrior, Attack of the Killer Shrews and "Manos")

And 3 Rifftrax downloads: "Manos", their live riff of Plan 9 and the Measuring Man short.

As well as wallpapers and ringtones and junk but that is less interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to find a reason to post here now and again.

I went to the MST3K Reunion Show in Minneapolis. I met Beez McKeever and talked to her for a few minutes. She (somehow) was even more lovely and genuine in person than I had expected. Meeting fans from across the country was cool too.

I backed the Kickstarter and am slowly going through my rewards. I am unreasonably excited for the new Netflix series, especially with that writing room and Joel at the helm. And Jonah Ray more than proved himself as a worthy new host back at the reunion. Great time to be a movie riffing fan.

• Like 3

Yeah, I had forgotten how much I had donated for, so when I saw a backer update showing the mug and the t-shirt and whatnot I was like "oh, that's cool for the people who donated that much." And then I got the backer reward form, including details for stuff like the mug and the t-shirt. I really went nuts during that last day of the Kickstarter.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Even watching some of season 1 for the first time earlier this year was really really weird-feeling, so I can't imagine what watching one of the KTMA ones is gonna be like once I get to it.

Actually, the more I think about it, I remember liking more KTMA episodes than not. Though that's probably due to both lowered expectations and having only seen a few. I think the ones I remember liking on some level were Phase IV, Hangar 18, and Superdome.

But again, they pretty much have to be judged in an entirely different manner than the main series. They're just three local comics lazily improvising as they watch a random obscure movie for the first time. I do recall liking Josh Weinstein more after watching those episodes, given that anything he says MUST be his own idea in the moment.

• 2 months later...