The MST3K Thread

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

So the following MST3k episodes are going to be available on Netflix from tomorrow. So sayeth the official MST3k FB page.

• Catalina Caper
• Eegah!
• Future War
• The Giant Gila Monster
• Hercules Against the Moon Men
• Horrors of Spider Island
• I Accuse My Parents
• Jack Frost
• Laserblast
• "Manos" The Hands of Fate
• Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders
• Pod People
• Puma Man
• Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
• Sidehackers
• Space Mutiny
• Teenagers from Outer Space
• Time Chasers
• Werewolf
• Zombie Nightmare

Felica Day posted a picture of her as Kinga Forrester and Patton Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank. (Which is such a great name)

17352532_1932566400297102_18784669847115

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It was so good. Even when their first joke wouldn't work they'd riff on it and improv until it was something good. Can't wait to get my eyes on the first episode this Sunday.

The 1st episode was made available for streaming for backers.

I loved it. It feels like MST3k with just a few small tweaks and the choice of movie for the first episode is perfect. I can't wait to see the rest!

The sets look great and Kinga and Frank/Max were fun in their small roles. Feels like they're going somewhere with Max and his desire to be called TV's Son of TV's Frank. I'm kinda maybe hoping for a cameo from Trace and Frank at some point in the series.

There were a lot of riffs and maybe a little too much playing around inside the theater but I'm putting that down to the fact it's essentially a pilot. The style of humor felt like MST3k. I loved every minute of it. The rap about monsters is stuck in my head now forever.

AND THEY KEPT COMMERCIAL BREAKS IN.

• Like 1

I have all the backer rewards to watch early and download the full season, but I'm waiting for the Netflix debut so I can contribute to the total views, making the show more likely to get a Season 12.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm doing that for all of the episodes after this first one even though if I wanted I could probably get episode two in on Thursday.

I'd say my overall assessment of 1101 was "this is good and most of the problems it has can be solved through simply gaining experience."

Spoiler

The bad, to me, is that the pace and structure of the riffs is wildly divergent over the course of the episode. The first twenty minutes features a ton of riffs that are too wordy, and the last twenty-thirty, like Hobo said, had too many riffs going on. They do also show off what they can do in regards to puppeteering in a way that feels a bit more "also we can do this now!" than something that's truly organic.

But it's funny. At times it's incredibly funny, particularly in the middle stretch. While I worry that the switch to widescreen might have the added effect of making the host segments feel a little less busy/engaging due to all the unused space, the song in this one is really great (and the moment you hear it, it's going to rattle around in the back of your brain for days) and the sketch about Servo being cloned was pretty funny. I was pretty happy with the whole cast, though I have a lot of questions about how stuff like the Jonah/Kinga dynamic is going to develop and how it compares to Joel/Clayton and Mike/Pearl.

This is a very good starting point for a new season with an all-new cast and a mostly new writer's room and crew. Can't wait to see the rest.

I've caved and am watching a bit of the second episode before it all goes live tomorrow. There's a bit about thirteen minutes in that made me almost cry from laughter.

I'm trying to avoid learning about the movies before watching the episodes. So, since I've only watched the first one and twenty minutes of the second:

Spoiler

1101 is Reptilicus, a giant lizard movie from Denmark that looks like it's from the '60s. The effects on the lizard are spectacularly terrible.

1102 is Cry Wilderness, which seems to be about a boy who knows Bigfoot and can talk to Bigfoot, and Bigfoot tells him to run away from his private school to go back to his father who is some sort of park ranger/tracker in the Pacific Northwest, because his father is in danger.

I want to say I read offhandedly that one of the later movies is a Hercules movie starring David Hasselhoff, and I know 1114 is an adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' At the Earth's Core because that's the last movie uploaded.

19 hours ago, Hobo said:

I'm on episode 8 and I really think there are  few episode that could become classics.

Haven't watched it yet, but read a spoiler free review.  It said episode 2 could stand as an all time classic