The MST3K Thread

Josh

I should be able to pick up where I left off tonight, as I'm into a new month's internet allowance today. It's been great so far, though I've seen the movie before, so the movie itself doesn't have any bonkers surprises for me in the way something like Cry Wilderness did.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Is there any kind of continuous story to the non-film parts of the show or am I okay to just jump in to the new ones?

Short answer is "no, not really". Particularly with the new series, as it's intended to appeal to a new audience, not just long-term fans. There's the odd continuity nod, and at least one joke about how it would have been easier to just do a reboot, but nothing that would detract from your enjoyment of the show.

• Like 3

I knew there would be cameos - Joel mentioned it during the Kickstarter campaign - but I've tried to avoid finding out who any of them are as best I can, I want to be surprised by all of them.

When I was growing up, I told my Mom that the saddest song I ever heard was the ending theme for Mystery Science Theater 3000.  She asked me why and I said 'it's because there's not any more MST3k to watch."

That is still true.  When the last episode finished, I was immensely sad and yet incredibly proud of what they accomplished.  Even if this was the final hurrah, I'm exhaustively thankful to have seen their work.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Is there any kind of continuous story to the non-film parts of the show or am I okay to just jump in to the new ones?

Basically beyond the knowledge that the mad scientist's father and grandmother both ran the MST3K experiment on the original show and her sidekick is modeling himself after one of the sidekicks on the original show, nah.

1 hour ago, thatshortguy said:

Even if this was the final hurrah, I'm exhaustively thankful to have seen their work.

Honestly, I'm feeling pretty bullish on there being more. It's a cheap show to make and reviews have been good, and Netflix is generally pretty inclined to renew its shows at least once.

They're also planning a nationwide live tour for later this year, apparently; no official announcement but Joel's mentioned it in multiple interviews.

• Like 2

I'd be amazed if there isn't more, to be honest. The amount of interest this has garnered can't have gone unnoticed by Netflix, and the quality has been ridiculously high. 

Me, ten minutes into Starcrash: "Well, this movie is bad but it is kind of neat that the woman is the lead and the guy is like her useless sidekick who doesn't do anything."

Me, forty minutes into Starcrash: "Oh god damn it."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Me, ten minutes into Starcrash: "Well, this movie is bad but it is kind of neat that the woman is the lead and the guy is like her useless sidekick who doesn't do anything."

Me, forty minutes into Starcrash: "Oh god damn it."

I knew that would happen :shifty: 

Me watching Starcrash :Well this movie is terrible...but it has a hot woman in a leather bikini for 1/2 of it...so I can deal..."

15 hours ago, New Year New Srar! said:

Starcrash

Reveal hidden contents

Those two were mentioned as being interested in cameoing in one of the Kickstarter updates the day before the Kickstarter closed as part of a final push to get them to hit some stretch goals. I know one of the other names mentioned in that definitely appears later in the season, dunno about the other two.

Me watching Starcrash: Marjoe Gortner's being out acted by his hair!

I am leaving the last episode till after my exams. So there will be new MST3k for me once that's all done.

I'm just glad that people are getting to experience Starcrash. A friend of mine is a big fan of cheesy old sci-fi movies, and we occasionally do "bad movie nights" at his place, and Starcrash was maybe the crowning jewel of the collection.

On 20/04/2017 at 14:26, New Year New Srar! said:

Starcrash

Reveal hidden contents

Oh God, wait til you get to Carnival Of Magic!

• Like 2

Invention exchange in 1107 is pretty great.

After this one I might take a break for a few days and chip away at some other shows; outside of my initial discovery of the show via Sci-Fi channel reruns at 6am Saturday mornings, MST3K has never been a show I watched a shit-ton of in a short amount of time, I liked to space it out more. But it's tough because I want to take part in conversations about the show and whatnot, and I'm definitely behind the curve on that front.

18 hours ago, Lint said:

Me watching Starcrash :Well this movie is terrible...but it has a hot woman in a leather bikini for 1/2 of it...so I can deal..."

That hot woman is Caroline Munro, who was also in the James Bond movie The Spy Who Loved Me, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, and both Doctor Phibes films (as his dead wife). She's also in the video for Adam Ant's song Goody Two Shoes.

Incidentally, her voice was dubbed by someone else for Starcrash.