• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Bones" Jim? "Fossil Bones" Fossil Jim?     So stupid but I still laughed  

You are not my real father, mister!

Posted Images

I'm curious to see what the plans are and who, specifically, is coming back. The graphic for it has Jonah, Felicia, and Patton on it which indicates it's the Netflix cast, which I'd be down for, but at the same time basically every MST3K thing outside of those two charity shorts for the last couple years has been the touring cast (Emily and co.). And of course I can already see MST3K fandom basically gearing itself up to be mad if it's not the '90s folks...

23 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I'm curious to see what the plans are and who, specifically, is coming back. The graphic for it has Jonah, Felicia, and Patton on it which indicates it's the Netflix cast, which I'd be down for, but at the same time basically every MST3K thing outside of those two charity shorts for the last couple years has been the touring cast (Emily and co.). And of course I can already see MST3K fandom basically gearing itself up to be mad if it's not the '90s folks...

Okay, so what they're trying to do is fund another season and put it on its own streaming platform, which would also serve as a hub for virtual events and the like. The video has Hampton and Baron voicing the bots and Kinga is mentioned multiple times throughout it so looking like Netflix cast first and foremost.

I simultaneously think that this pitch has a lot of problems (it's like an upscaled model of what Rifftrax does with their live shows but I think there's way more difficulty in doing that with a full-fledged TV show on your own streaming service rather than two or three live riffs a year simulcast through movie theaters) and am also donating anyway because I'll take any new MST3K I can get, and I liked the direction the Netflix crew were heading in The Gauntlet.

I'm confident it'll get funding for at most a few new episodes and maybe a full season. Although, I'm not sure about how it would work long term.

They've already got about 1.5million raised.

I didn't think The Gauntlet was quite as strong as the Return. But I felt it was more down to the movies than anything.

I liked the Netflix cast. But I'd still like to see the odd guest appearance from the 90s cast if there's going to be new episodes. There was something about the Dr Erhart stuff that made me feel like maybe they were angling for some way of getting an appearance of Dr Forrester and TV's Frank if they had a new season. The short that Joel, Bill and J Elvis did last year that was shown on Turkey day was great.

It sounds to me like the new episodes will basically be "as live", similar to Rifftrax Live or the old Cinematic Titanic stuff. It's not necessarily what I want from my MST3k, but could be a nice middle ground between the touring show (which is likely where the real money is) and a full-blown new series, and obviously allows them a far greater degree of creative control than Netflix or another platform would allow them. 

I like Jonah, and think the Netflix series was by and large pretty great, so would gladly take as much as I can get - I like Rifftrax, but their writing and running jokes can be really overdone compared to Joel-helmed MST3K, which feels a lot more free and spontaneous, so Rifftrax doesn't always scratch the right itches. 

If they're going to be effectively self-reliant, and not getting the advertising or curiosity seekers that come from being on Netflix, I imagine they will lean a little heavier on the nostalgia angle even though Joel was really against that being the main selling point of the Netflix series. I know Mike wanted nothing to do with the Netflix series, but obviously J. Elvis, Kevin, Bill, and Mary Jo all popped up in the Netflix series, and it definitely seemed like they were open for The Mads appearing; I don't know about Trace, but I follow Frank on a lot of social media and he seems like he'd more than open to it. I think it's more likely we get a return of The Mads than of Patton Oswalt, really. 

Around the time of the Netflix relaunch, Rifftrax did an MST3K reunion, which showed that at least the various cast members are on good enough terms to share a stage together, so I wouldn't rule anything out, necessarily.

It looks nailed on that they will meet their goal, and it will just come down to what stretch goals they meet, and if they will be producing enough (and good enough) content to remain sustainable beyond that.

• Like 2