The MST3K Thread

Josh

I really, really liked Episode 3. Much better pacing and organic quality to the riffing and far fewer "bad movie is bad" jokes, which are my least favorite kind. Great episode.

Also, I just realized that the end credits music after The Love Theme on each episode is made up of original songs from old episodes, redone by The Skeleton Crew. This one had the Wild Rebels jingle and Livin' in Deep 13 (or whatever that's called.) Great touch.

On 4/21/2017 at 12:51, Skummy said:

Oh God, wait til you get to Carnival Of Magic!

Actually thought that one was rather dull

Just watched episode 2, which was pretty good. 

Question, though: The end credits have Joel Hodgson listed as a character named Ardy, which IMDB has listed as being in 3 episodes. I don't recall him as showing up yet, so do they just have him listed in the credits for all episodes? 

41 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Question, though: The end credits have Joel Hodgson listed as a character named Ardy, which IMDB has listed as being in 3 episodes. I don't recall him as showing up yet, so do they just have him listed in the credits for all episodes? 

Ardy is the guy in the hazmat suit who sends the movies up to Jonah and the bots ("Movie in the hole!"). I want to say episode 3 is where they explain his presence/function.

• Like 2

While I wouldn't go as far as that (specifically, the KTMA version's inclusion), I do think it's a little less dynamic. I love the visual of this version of the Robot Roll Call, though, especially Crow jumping on Jonah's back. If you threw in the usual one-liners between the names then it'd be my favorite one of those specifically.

Watching Felicia Day's livestream. She talked about how the only reason she ever talked to Joel is because her brother (Ryon) loves him, and she wanted to get a picture with Joel just to rub it in his face while she was at a comic-con that he wasn't at.

• Like 3

I like the opening of the new series, though it's definitely not built around the theme as strongly as it used to be, so maybe that's it - I love the stop motion work, and the visual of the doors opening to Kinga and the Skeleton Crew as if it's a big musical number, with Jonah still utterly confused by it all, it plays well with Kinga's character being fixated on ratings and trying to impress. That Har Mar Superstar is the bandleader makes it even better. 

The theme, as standalone piece of music, is definitely weaker, but I think the opening overall more than makes up for that.

• Like 3

Someone on the MST3K subreddit said they should play around with the intro more next season, like a version where Servo accidentally gets sucked up by the tube instead of Jonah, and I am all-in on that idea.

• Like 4

Some thoughts on the final episode;

Spoiler

I was kind of hoping the wedding set-up would allow for a few more cameos as wedding guests - I purposefully tried to find out as little as I could about the new series and who would be appearing in it, to go in as blind as possible, so "original" cast-wise, I knew Mike Nelson wasn't involved, but wasn't sure about anyone else, so I was desperately hoping for a Trace cameo at the end, just because Clayton Forrester is brilliant. I kind of figured we'd get Joel popping up as "himself" too, and while it's not surprising that he didn't, as he definitely seems to want as much focus on the new MST3k as possible and not on himself, I was expecting he'd be in the last episode.

As it was, I felt the whole wedding premise was a good excuse for some stuff with Pearl, Brain Guy and Bobo (I love that Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett were in it at least), but was otherwise a bit of a messy ending that didn't really sit well with me. Obviously they can write their way out of having "killed" Jonah in any number of ways if there's a second season and he comes back, but it just seemed a really odd decision, creatively.

One little touch I loved, though, was Kinga's middle name being "Clayton". It made me smile just to see that character get a nod, and then I remembered that Clayton's middle names were Deborah Susan, so it keeps up the tradition of gender-swapping middle names in the Forrester family!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the season. I'm immensely satisfied with what they pulled off.

My favorites were probably The Time Travelers and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II. I also love how much Doug McClure showed up.

I finished it properly on Friday. I already want to watch more. I might go back and watch an episode this evening.

Final episode:

I was also holding out for more cameos in the finale. I wonder if they were hoping for that too kinda. It was a bit messy though but I have a massive love for Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy so I'm willing to forgive.

I was never a big fan of the finale type episodes of MST3k really and if there's a second series it'll ultimately be meaningless. So I'm happy with it.

• 5 weeks later...