The MST3K Thread

Josh

Featuring by far the most unsettling version of the already-bad "a man shows interest in a tomboy and she immediately stops being one" trope I've ever seen.

• 4 weeks later...

Having now, finally, finished season 11, a power ranking of the episodes:

Spoiler

1. Cry Wilderness

2. The Beast of Hollow Mountain

3. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom

4. Yongary

5. Avalanche

6. Carnival Magic

7. Starcrash

8. Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II

9. The Loves of Hercules

10. Reptilicus

11. The Christmas That Almost Wasn't

12. The Time Travelers

13. The Land That Time Forgot

14. At the Earth's Core

At the Earth's Core was the only episode that I thought was outright bad. Just really overstuffed with jokes and it only served to drown out the good riffs.

I think I like my MST3K movies to either be sincerely fucking weird or just like this absolute ordeal, and that's the top two. Every time they cut to the mountain in The Beast of Hollow Mountain and no monster showed up or showed any sign of showing up it destroyed me.

• Like 1

Oh, I totally get wanting completely weird. On that level, Cry Wilderness is amazing. But I'm looking for a better interplay between movie and riffers, and Cry Wilderness feels so overstuffed and rushed when it comes to that. Conversely, The Time Travelers is weird in a dumb way, but not so insane - yet it's probably my favorite because of what the riffers do with it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

New live tour this fall celebrating the show's 30th anniversary, with Joel reprising Joel Robinson and riffing the movies with Jonah and the bots. The two movies this time are The Brain, a Canadian sci-fi movie, and Deathstalker, a sword-and-sandal joint.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mystery-science-theater-3000-comic-book_us_5b50ed01e4b0fd5c73c378b1?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004&guccounter=1 A very weird, Joel-penned MST3K comic book is happening.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mystery-science-theater-3000-comic-book_us_5b50ed01e4b0fd5c73c378b1?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004&guccounter=1 A very weird, Joel-penned MST3K comic book is happening.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...