The MST3K Thread

Josh

Mitchell is such a good episode, though. Still my favorite. The reference to it in Outlaw is one of the reasons I like that episode so much. I've probably said all this before.

Didn't Joe Don Baker get offended at the episode where they made fun of him? And didn't he threaten physical harm to the cast?

Ahhh, yep. Cooler heads eventually prevailed, however.

I wouldn't. Manos is one of my absolute favorites but it really is one of the absolute worst movies MST3K has ever shown; that's part of the appeal (it's kind of hilarious watching the movie very, very clearly grate on Joel and Co.'s sanity after a certain point), but I wouldn't make that a gateway episode. Watch a couple of the lighter episodes before taking on Manos.

Personally, I would say watch Pumaman first but that's just me.

I seem to recall Cave Dwellers being pretty decent.

Do you have Santa Claus Conquers the Martians or Prince of Space? Those ones are both wonderful.

Not quite MST3K, but everyone should see the RiffTrax of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Well can I LIGHT THIS GUY ON FIRE!?

That is the only Rifftrax I've actually purchased (I've gone to three or four of the live-unless-you're-on-the-west-coast theatre things, though). Totally worth it.

I am getting the list that Josh posted. So far, I have Cave Dwellers, Pod People, Time of the Apes, Fugitive Alien, 12 To The Moon, Final Sacrifice and Gorgo.

Of those, I'd say Final Sacrifice, Fugitive Alien, or Pod People would be your best bet for a gateway episode. Cave Dwellers and 12 To The Moon after that. Time of the Apes and Gorgo are better saved for when you've already got a good sense of the series and style as a whole. One man's opinion, though.

Having said that, Final Sacrifice might actually be one you want to save for later, only because it's probably one of the Top 10 most popular episodes, these days. Maybe even Top 5.

Oh, and GoGo's totally right: while you'll definitely want to see Manos at some point, watch at least a handful of other episodes first. There's a few episodes along the way that feature truly, uniquely awful films. Sometimes that makes for a watershed episode (Manos), sometimes it makes for something nearly impossible to watch (Monster-a-Go-Go, Castle of Fu Manchu), and sometimes it just splits the fans (any episode with a Coleman Francis movie.) That said, even when those episodes really, really shine, they are never good for first-timers.

Regarding Rifftrax, I wish I had the budget to get some of their stuff. What little I've seen, I've enjoyed. I'm still hoping to see their live re-riffing of Manos, this August. Likewise, I'd just about kill to see Cinematic Titanic Live or at least get some of their DVDs. I did get to see their riffing of The Alien Factor and it was fucking tremendous.

I'm still hoping to see their live re-riffing of Manos, this August.

Oh fuck. Is that going to be an In Theatres thing? That's tremendous.

Also, yeah, don't watch Monster A Go-Go. That one was rough.

Manos Live!

I'm hesitant to buy a ticket, as I have ended up with a rehearsal scheduled on the same night as every one their past live events, but I'm hoping to get a ticket closer to 8/16.

And the best part about Monster-a-Go-Go is the story behind the movie, not anything that you can actually observe (directly) in the episode.

I am getting the list that Josh posted. So far, I have Cave Dwellers, Pod People, Time of the Apes, Fugitive Alien, 12 To The Moon, Final Sacrifice and Gorgo.

The Final Sacrifice

Pod People

Cave Dwellers

Time of the Apes

Fugitive Alien

Gorgo

12 to the Moon.

That would be my order of preference for those. 12 to the Moon is the only one I don't really know well.

And the best part about Monster-a-Go-Go is the story behind the movie, not anything that you can actually observe (directly) in the episode.

I just looked it up and wound up on Bill Rebane's wikipedia article, where I found out that he ran for president in 2002. Awesome.