House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones) Thread

hugobomb

13 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Speaking of redemption, I was wondering what people thought about whether or not a character can truly redeem themselves. I remember a few saying that Jaime could never be redeemed, no matter what he did, with the same thing said for Theon. The Hound, who's probably committed fewer evil deeds, although one of which was still the murder of a child, seems to be widely considered a character who's in line for redemption.

Is there a set of boundaries that a character can't cross before they're deemed beyond saving?

No, it's a story not real life.  Most of the characters in Game of Thrones can be redeemed through good storytelling.  They were able to make me legitimately hate these three characters at one point and have the moment where my entire opinion changed and I got emotionally invested. 

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

No, it's a story not real life.  Most of the characters in Game of Thrones can be redeemed through good storytelling.  They were able to make me legitimately hate these three characters at one point and have the moment where my entire opinion changed and I got emotionally invested. 

I'd argue that any redemption arc that works for you in a book would work for you in real life, given the same knowledge. The reason you can feel for Jaime, Sandor, and Theon is because you know their motivation, you see inside their heads, you know that they are products of their environment, how they feel about what they've done and how they're trying to atone for it.

Honestly, I'm not even sure Sandor is on a redemption arc, given that he's arguably the most honest and upstanding of the three since the beginning. He's a dog with a master, in his world he must do his master's bidding or suffer the consequences. I don''t remember a case of him taking things farther than needed, which is where I'd draw the line in blaming him versus putting the blame on the person that orders it, unlike Gregor, who delights in the bloodshed. He shows uncommon mercy to Sansa and Arya, in his own way. He does have issues, but none larger than any other high born character, in that he really doesn't give a shit about the smallfolk. He's also as cynical and nihilistic as anyone you'll see in the series, so I don't think he gives a shit about the high born, either. He's had a character arc, for sure, as he finally decided to go on his own and be his own person instead of the Lannister's hound, but I wouldn't say it's a 'redemption' arc, I don't think he needed redeemed, certainly not by Westerosi standards.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I don't think any of the three of them should be portrayed as heroes. It's interesting to see them try to redeem themselves, but ultimately, Jaime has never once, until now, regretted not just pushing a ten year old out of a window, but sending a assassin to kill him after that. 

Jaime didn't send the assassin, at least in the books. I'm quite sure that's the case in the show too. In one of his POV chapters, he suspects that Joffrey did it to impress Robert Baratheon, who was overheard drunkenly stating that it would be a mercy to kill Bran.

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Jaime didn't send the assassin, at least in the books. I'm quite sure that's the case in the show too. In one of his POV chapters, he suspects that Joffrey did it to impress Robert Baratheon, who was overheard drunkenly stating that it would be a mercy to kill Bran.

Oh yes, I remembered that wrong. I had just seen the episode where the assassin dies and in that same episode Cersei and Jaime are fighting in her room with her saying "How could you have done that?" Just realised that could mean how could he have pushed him out the window or something, which is a weird thing to ask somebody like 2 months after the incident. 

I think Tyrion gifted that blade to Joffrey for his name day, or something to that effect, didn't he?

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Oh yes, I remembered that wrong. I had just seen the episode where the assassin dies and in that same episode Cersei and Jaime are fighting in her room with her saying "How could you have done that?" Just realised that could mean how could he have pushed him out the window or something, which is a weird thing to ask somebody like 2 months after the incident. 

I think Tyrion gifted that blade to Joffrey for his name day, or something to that effect, didn't he?

The storyline (I almost called it an 'angle' god help me) with the knife is one of the weaker ones in both book and show, IMO. It just never really added up. Like, it does, but it's just, not a great conclusion.

40 minutes ago, DMN said:

The storyline (I almost called it an 'angle' god help me) with the knife is one of the weaker ones in both book and show, IMO. It just never really added up. Like, it does, but it's just, not a great conclusion.

To me, the bit with that that ruins it is when Littlefinger said that Tyrion bet against Jaime. Right. Uh-huh. He could have easily have said "Oh, I lost it in (the match before Loras took on Jaime), anything, there's plenty of knights on the show, even ones that don't get screen time. I just thought that was weird. 

I'm basically watching an episode a day until the premier, and I like the pacing I'm at right now. When I would binge watch the show, there were parts I would not pay attention to (a lot of the shit Beyond the Wall bored me), but now it's a whole new light, just knowing everything that goes on. It's great and creepy at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Domald Tromp said:

Arya/Gendry: :w00t::wub:

Arya/Jon 😠 

And Sansa/Jon 😠 

And Dany/Jon 😠 

And...well, if you have the Seduction focus, anybody/Jon :shifty: 

Got back to watching some GoT this weekend, Red Wedding to part way through Season 4.

- Girlfriend thought The Red Wedding was where Joffrey died, she was not prepared for what happened

- Joffrey's death was even too much for her despite how much she hated him.  She very much enjoyed dwarf Balon Greyjoy riding a squid.

- My biggest take away from the Red Wedding is how they purposely show you Wendel Manderly but then they completely took out Wyman's story later on.

- I really like what they did with the Wildlings south of the wall, Jon killed Orell who was his main antagonist, then the Thenn's showed up and instantly became huge threats because they are cannibals.

- Karl Tanner gets a special spot for most hated characters, dude is just awful.  I think Tanner, Joffrey and Littlefinger are the characters I hate the most.  In the book for some reason I couldn't stand Rattleshirt.

- Glad they kept Strong Belwas' duel with Oznak zo Phal in the story, just sad that Belwas isn't in it and Daario got to do it instead.

- Arya killing Polliver is great, that whole scene with The Hound and the chickens in fantastic.  I only wish Arya told Polliver who she was first, but I guess she cared more about avenging Lommy, whatever the fuck that is.

- Jamie planning the Kingsguard duties during the Wedding and he mentioned Ser Preston, I like how despite getting 0 screen time, Preston Greenfield completely upgraded his role in the show.

- I still think it's wild that they established Dontos Hollard, kept him off screen for a season and a half and then suddenly he had two important scenes and they died.

- With Ice being melted and reforged, where are all the Valaryian Steel blades in the show now?  Jon has Longclaw, Brienne has Oathkeeper and Sam has Heartsbane.  Widow's Wail is somewhere in the capital and I think those are the only ones the show has established.  Meera might have picked up Dark Sister in the Three Eyed Raven's cave.

21 hours ago, Azazel said:

With Ice being melted and reforged, where are all the Valaryian Steel blades in the show now?  Jon has Longclaw, Brienne has Oathkeeper and Sam has Heartsbane.  Widow's Wail is somewhere in the capital and I think those are the only ones the show has established.  Meera might have picked up Dark Sister in the Three Eyed Raven's cave.

Isn't the dagger Arya now uses Valyrian steel?