General Football Thread

Starvinho

51 minutes ago, TCO said:

How many of those goals are from just being amazing in the air at corners though, rather than end product? Ramos in particular has a knack of reading a cross. I don't see how that diminishes their defensive abilities in comparison to Moore. They're just way better than any other centre backs with the ball at their feet. It's not like they're doing Cruyff turns and pulling out of tackles. 

I don't think it diminishes their defensive abilities, but I think it makes them a different style of player, not better or worse, per se, but the Bobbt Moore kind of defender isn't something you tend to see at the top of the game any more. It's not recent - Paolo Maldini made a tiny amount of tackles (something like 0.5 per game) which is less than both Ramos or Pique - but I dunno... I kinda would like to see an 'old school' defender amongst the top teams, if only because John Stones 5 or 6 mistakes a game is getting seriously tiresome.

I think John Stones is an exception. He tries way too hard with the ball at this feet when sometimes its just not on. He's trying to be Rio Ferdinand but sometimes he looks closer to Titus Bramble the way he gets caught napping.

Unless teams play hoofball then defenders have to be able to take it down and play a pass. I think John Terry is the perfect blend of both and arguably the most complete defender in a long time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TCO said:

I think John Stones is an exception. He tries way too hard with the ball at this feet when sometimes its just not on. He's trying to be Rio Ferdinand but sometimes he looks closer to Titus Bramble the way he gets caught napping.

Unless teams play hoofball then defenders have to be able to take it down and play a pass. I think John Terry is the perfect blend of both and arguably the most complete defender in a long time.

He might be the last of the good, old fashioned CB.

• 5 weeks later...