General Football Thread

Starvinho

I think if they truly wanted to make it into a top esport, they'd have to have it as 11v11 pro clubs style matches. You can't be having games and tournaments, especially high profile and high paying ones being turned on shitty AI coding like in the video. There's a reason all the big esports like League of Legends, Counter-strike, Overwatch etc. every character is controlled by a player.

7 minutes ago, Handsome Gazz said:

I think if they truly wanted to make it into a top esport, they'd have to have it as 11v11 pro clubs style matches. You can't be having games and tournaments, especially high profile and high paying ones being turned on shitty AI coding like in the video. There's a reason all the big esports like League of Legends, Counter-strike, Overwatch etc. every character is controlled by a player.

Dragons to win the cup

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Nor is darts, snooker, golf, fucking bowls, etc etc

Correct.

9 minutes ago, MDK said:

Darts, snooker and bowls are exciting though. 

Correct.

8 minutes ago, Adam said:

Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather watch a major Golf tournament than some random kid playing Fifa as Man City because the sheikh's sanctioned chucking some peanuts at him.

Incorrect. Fuck golf.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather watch a major Golf tournament than some random kid playing Fifa as Man City because the sheikh's sanctioned chucking some peanuts at him.

Sure, but there's a definite market to tap into with regards to eSports and Fifa especially. Some of the largest Fifa youtubers have audiences larger than watched the last U.S. Open golf tournament and getting some of them behind the coverage that's to come (and BT Sports has done work with KSI - one of the biggest with over 15 million subscribers - in the past) could definitely help push a significant audience towards their coverage - and that's an audience that is increasingly not watching television at all.

27 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Nor is darts, snooker, golf, fucking bowls, etc etc

'Sport' is defined as an activity that includes physical exertion and/or demonstration of skill.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Handsome Gazz said:

'Sport' is defined as an activity that includes physical exertion and/or demonstration of skill.

We could probably argue over the physical exertion that's spent over playing video games, but the highest level of eSports players definitely qualify by the second measure.

@Lineker Nah golf can be entertaining to watch at say a Major or certainly in the Ryder Cup. Granted I can't sit and have it on for hours but the race to victory can be quite interesting, albeit slow paced.

@Mad Jack I suppose I forget the reach and popularity of these Youtube channels. It's a whole other debate really but to me a game is a way to get away from reality for a bit, I play Fifa to have my own little world of fantasy football, ditto EWR/TEW with wrestling and I just personally don't understand the fact it can be put on TV alongside the actual, real sport now. Fair play to them, it just surprises me is all.

• Like 1