Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I was tempted by As It Is and Twin Atlantic but having WAW -> WOS -> The Great Escape -> Slam Dunk on consecutive weekends in May, plus Frank Turner between the two wrestling events, has left me feeling fairly burned out and I can't wait to just have a few weekends doing nothing* come June.

Ignoring the fact that where I work also serves as a gig venue, the only announced shows I'll be going elsewhere to attend are Against The Current and The Feeling, with Voodoo Glow Skulls and Rasmus being added depending on how busy I am and finances at the time.

*House work will unfortunately have to be done after being put on the back burner since the WOS announcement.

I was going to do ATC but I think I'll just wait until they announce another Cardiff show. Seen them a few times so not in a rush.

State Champs are meant to be touring later this year (Songkick leaked they're doing Birmingham on October 31st and have since deleted it) and I'd be all over that since I've really fallen for their second album recently.

I didn't even realise The Rasmus were still a thing.

Oooh yes and they've got a Norwich date on the tour too so that's added to my list right away. I'm now tempted to split the time I would've spent seeing them at Slam Dunk between Twin Atlantic and Capdown.

Japanese Breakfast was superb yesterday. She played the same venue two years ago in front of about twenty people, so to get around two hundred this time is brilliant. Her support, Fear of Men were really good too.

Oh, also saw the Manics in Cardiff, earlier in the month. Consistent as ever, but with a surprising amount of songs from Generation Terrorists played (when usually it's limited to Motorcycle Emptiness and You Love Us). Also, I didn't know who The Coral were until they played Dreaming of You and In the Morning, and then I was all, "oh, it's this band".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jericode said:

I was gutted to miss the Manics show in Cardiff. A few of the guys from work went and said it was awesome.

I'm missing the Stereophonics doing Cardiff in a couple of weeks as well which I'm still annoyed about.

lol really? 

Also, got tickets to see Los Camps super show and then Black Honey as well in October. Tempted to get Soccer Mommy and Princess Nokia tix too. 

Edited by Jimmy

@Jimmy I've actually been digging the greatest hits again. Wouldn't be the same without the pisstaking mind.

Black Honey were decent when I saw them support Royal Blood, I'd probably have seen them at their recent Cardiff show if I hadn't been abroad. What are Soccer Mommy like? Seeing there name a lot recently.

57 minutes ago, Jericode said:

@Jimmy I've actually been digging the greatest hits again. Wouldn't be the same without the pisstaking mind.

Black Honey were decent when I saw them support Royal Blood, I'd probably have seen them at their recent Cardiff show if I hadn't been abroad. What are Soccer Mommy like? Seeing there name a lot recently.

She's really chilled out, mellow and great. I love her album - well worth a listen. 

Yeah, funny enough, I was supposed to see Black Honey at Y Not, ha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Twin Atlantic fucking killed it. Love them so much.

Calendar for the end of the year is looking much nicer now. Added State Champs, As It Is, and Nothing But Thieves for November, as well as Roam in July.

August, October and December left and I will finally achieve my three-year goal of doing one a month for a calendar year :P

There's a whole load more I'm still debating. Kasabian have announced out of nowhere that they're doing the O2 Academy in Bristol in two fucking weeks time but it's £50 and I don't get paid until that day so probably can't afford it. Against the Current, Hunter and the Bear, Bullet For My Valentine, The Blockheads, Royal Republic and doing just the Friday of Reading Festival are all still on the table. 

During the last song of our set tonight (I sing it, it's quite emotional and melodic/powerful) I looked up and this utterly stunning woman was just staring at me as I sang. Sat chatting with friends after the set about an hour later and she comes up to me, squeezes my knee and tells me how amazing it was and that she had to stop what she was doing and take notice and that the song was amazing and I was amazing and she squeezed my knee again and was really lovely and legit and it was sooooo good cos it's normally hairy geezers who say nice things about the music or whatever.

A taste of what it could have been I guess..... 😂

Less Than Jake/Reel Big Fish co-headlining UK tour just got announced and I'm all over that. 100% down for the Norwich date but I'm also contemplating as many as 6 other dates just because I can combine them with visiting people (and hopefully scrounging a sofa for the night :shifty:).

Saw AJJ, Crywank and Jordaan Mason last night in a tiny basement filled with all sorts of humans.

Including someone who looked very much like he may be a Jew of middle eastern origin (probably @Moses Julep :shifty:) and some tiny adorable lesbians.

Jordaan Mason is glorious and weird and lovely. They also have a real fancy jumper. 

Crywank, I thought was charming and funny and clearly had fans in the audience. But I never really connected with his work. That said an entire song where the crowd screams and another where the chorus is just "IM SAD" was hilarious.

AJJ were super fun. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the Foo Fighters last night, second time ever. First time was on the broken leg tour. No matter how much time passes with them, they continue to be so fucking good live in terms of energy. So much fun

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seen a few shows this year:

The Bronx, January, Clwb Ifor Bach (Cardiff) - This was a wild show. They played their whole new album (V) in full, plus others. All week leading up to it I'd been ill (because winter) so I decided I'd just hang out at the back as I was going on my own, wasn't going to get into any mosh pits or the like. Even so only just managed to avoid them because the singer came into the crowd a lot and got things going - not the best idea when he's really short and big head is stood in the middle of the crowd!

Bully, May, Clwb Ifor Bach (Cardiff) - I almost went to see them a few years back when I decided I couldn't be bothered, but this time I thought fuck it. It was an okay way to spend Sunday evening, but wasn't very good.

Thrice, June, Electric Ballroom (London) - These guys were great! The venue was good too, because typically gigs in Cardiff aren't really set up right; volume as loud as possible, jobs done. But this was mixed right, and you didn't leave the show with ringing ears. They played their new single The Grey for the first time, which the singer messed up with. Annoyingly, me and my mate missed the first 3/4 songs because we didn't think they'd be on that early so were quite far back and cramped, but a great gig!

The Gaslight Anthem, July, Hammersmith Apollo (London) - This was only 2 days ago, on the first London date of The 59 Sound 10th Anniversary tour. I was a bit apprehensive going in to it as was the first "seated" gig I'd gone to, but didn't matter. And let me tell you, it was fucking amazing. The 59 Sound is one of if not my favourite album, and to hear it in full, by a band that had reformed for it, was magical. The crowd were so fucking loud. It was almost a standing ovation after the first song (Handwritten), so when they started playing the album after 3/4 other songs, the crowd were almost rapturous after the title track (song 2 on the album). I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I sang my heart out for 2 hours and had tears in my eyes at certain points too. They have songs with such good chorus' that you can't help but sing along, and to have a full room singing along was amazing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose this is EWB's cup of tea, but I saw Simple Minds, The Pretenders and KT Tunstall with my sister in Newark of all places yesterday. It was better than I thought it would be. They were all solid live acts, and not too loud either. Am I setting myself up for mockery here?